Arduino 101 Sketch upload, What's the trick???

I recently purchased an Arduino 101 and I cannot get it to take a sketch.

I'm using Windows 7. I've installed the board (v1.0.7, I had v2.0.2 loaded but downgraded it to see if that would help) in the IDE (v1.8.0). Windows recognizes the board at Com19. The IDE reads back the board info properly.

I get the following error message:

Arduino: 1.8.0 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino 101"

Sketch uses 26604 bytes (17%) of program storage space. Maximum is 155648 bytes.
Starting download script...
Flashing is taking longer than expected
Try pressing MASTER_RESET button
ERROR: Timed out waiting for Arduino 101 on COM19
ERROR: Timed out waiting for Arduino 101 on COM19

I've pressed the master reset before starting the upload, after starting, and after the error, to no avail.

The board is working. It apparently was loaded with an IMU sketch for zero motion detected, and displays that output on the Serial Monitor:

IMU initialisation complete, waiting for events...
zero motion detected...
zero motion detected...
zero motion detected...
zero motion detected...
zero motion detected...
zero motion detected...
zero motion detected...

The led (L) goes out and the scroll stops when the board is moved.

I was just trying to load a Blink sketch. What do I do?

Thanks,
Eric

Hi,
Well if your card isn't new make sure that you didn't short circuit it.
If it's short circuited, then the display LEDs will still be on but you won't be able to load any sketch, even if your computer shows you that the upload is successful, and will keep on running the last sketch it had before it was short circuited.
Then if it's just an upload problem, then search the forum, it's a very frequent problem on that board.
I hope it will have helped :slight_smile:

How do I search the forum? The search box at the top of this page goes to a Google search.

I see no visual indication of a short circuit. I have a one foot long usb cable and a nonconductive work bench.

Just tried it again with my windows 10 laptop on a USB 3.0 port. Windows keeps playing the usb connected/disconnected tones during the upload attempts until it times out.

Is this thing dead?

Eric

Hi,

Have you tried a different USB cable.

Luc

I've tried different cables and computers, same results.

Eric

Hi

Try this, Just read it in the troubleshooting section.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=73748.0

Luc

Hi,

OK bad idea, this does not work with the 101, Just tried it.

Luc

Just as a last resort, have you tried updating the firmware?

Luc

Thanks for all the help. If the item won't program out of the box there must be a problem with it so I sent it back.

Eric