Share tips you have come across

To people who uses CURA (> v3) for 3D printing and uses the same machine for programming Nano, I found out if you have Cura open and hook up your Nano, the Nano keeps restarting frequently (eventually it stops, but really annoying). Solution is to turn off Cura. Im using a Mac so dont know if this happens on Windows PC.

thought I'd share this little quark. Have a great day!

Two more.

Cutting small wires:
earring04.gif

For just a small amount of epoxy:

Wire capacitors in parallel to get a higher uf. That might not be ground breaking to pros, but to a new maker, this is mind-blowing. It allows you to use multiple ceramic capacitors for making a slightly larger ceramic capacitor, good if you don't want to buy new parts but want to use up lots of old capacitors.

Some construction techniques/tips I hadn't seen before. It didn't get interesting for me 'til 6:00.

I thought the aluminum wire hold down was pretty nifty.

8-bit guy apple II project

dougp:
Some construction techniques/tips I hadn't seen before. It didn't get interesting for me 'til 6:00.

I thought the aluminum wire hold down was pretty nifty.

8-bit guy apple II project

In that video, the method for finding the position of holes was using a piece of paper to trace them. I've used a flatbed scanner to do the same job. Just scan the board with the cover open (mind your eyes) and print in monochrome at 100% (without scaling). The holes show as black spots on a lighter background. Cut the print to shape and tape in position for drilling.

"Desoldering without hot air."

Some of these techniques work quite well.

Build a Short Circuit Sniffing Power Supply.

A handy piece of test equipment to have on your work bench is a DIY Short Circuit Sniffing Power Supply.

A small prototyping PCB, a few common electronic components and a plastic case gives a compact test unit.

The PNP transistor needs to have a gain of ~200 while the NPN needs to be ~100.

Q1 has a heat sink attached.

External wires connected to this power supply should be 18 AWG.

See discussion at this link for using this power supply.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=601183.0

Two versions of the power supply are offered in the attached PDF.

Root_1.pdf (11.7 KB)

Hi,
I like it Larry, just needs a LED to indicate that it is or isn't in current limit mode, and possibly a beeper.

Tom... :slight_smile:

larryd very very good i have inspired

Not really a tip but, this seems like a good place for it. I needed a template for a 1602 LCD display. This one worked best for me. I had to tweak the zoom to 151% to get it just right. Offers the option to have the display recessed or extending through the panel.

A snip image, since the forum won't show a linked .pdf

Solderless breadboard for NodeMCU.

My Amica NodeMCU has the pin rows spaced at 0.9 inches. If I use a "standard" solderless breadboard there is only one row of contacts exposed.

So....... I cut a breadboard in half and stuck it on a piece of FR4 spaced so the NodeMCU pins start at the first row of contacts.

DSC07503.JPG

DSC07503.JPG

2 Likes

Neat.

That's nice. Thanks for sharing your tips with us. But as a newbie, I don't follow any tips yet. But I will try.

I keep these charts printed out and taped up where I can see them so I don't have to figure out resistance in my head. Yes, I know that makes me sound old, but since I am old I can deal with that.

@Mdmrs images:

If you don't have the proper pliers to cut thin wire, just use the above. Make sure it is not connect to any power source.

Homemade 3D printed "Breadboard breadboard"

Originally I had this with a homemade pcb which carried a PIC 18F452 which I could program through ICSP. Then I discovered the joy of Arduino and made an adapter plate for my UNO so I could use that instead

Ohhh nice... it even has a handle, brilliant. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Have you got the STL files?

Tom... :slight_smile:

Yes. Attached :slight_smile:

I printed with 0.4mm nozzle / 0.2mm layer height and used a 25% fill

Breadboard.zip (148 KB)

Made myself a shut (stainless steel) to easy measure my led proyects more easy!

1mV is 100mA:

Not so bad, let's raise the bet...

The entry in my blog!

Cheers from Argentina!!!