Make: It Robotics Starter Kit

I know many people have had a hard time with this particular kit. I REALLY did! This is how I managed to get mine to finally work.

Here is the kit I am speaking of. http://www.radioshack.com/make-it-robotics-starter-kit/2770168.html#.VIvKBjHF-g4

These are the support files you will need. http://blog.radioshack.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Make-it-Robotics-Starter-Kit-Support-Files.zip

The YouTube Video I used to learn how to add a Library to Arduino IDE. How to set up an Arduino Library :: Video #1 :: Arduino Library Series - YouTube

Once you have completed this go into your Arduino IDE and do the following. (Your Arduino Uno R3 should be connected to your computer at this point. Ensure you have the current drivers for your Uno R3.) http://arduino.cc/en/guide/windows#toc4

Click "File", then mouse over libraries > Make-It-Robotics-starter-kit-support-Files > Examples > 2770168starter kit > linefollow. Click line follow and Varify then compile. You're welcome.

Hello, I posted this question to the RadioShack web site because they have a forum on questions regarding this kit. However, I have not gotten an answer yet (it's been 10 days).

We are hoping to get an answer. We are not sure if we are having issues with the board itself (hardware/connections) or the software piece of it.

There are two programs in the IDE library for the Line Following Robot, one called “Line Follow with Pause” and the other “Line Follow” other than the pause I did not see much difference in the code.

We uploaded the “Line Follow with Pause” program and now we are getting the following errors.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control\ArduinoRobot.cpp: In constructor ‘RobotControl::RobotControl()':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control\ArduinoRobot.cpp:8: error: ‘LCD_CS’ was not declared in this scope
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control\ArduinoRobot.cpp:8: error: ‘DC_LCD’ was not declared in this scope
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control\ArduinoRobot.cpp:8: error: ‘RST_LCD’ was not declared in this scope
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control\ArduinoRobot.cpp: In member function ‘void RobotControl::begin()':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control\ArduinoRobot.cpp:18: error: ‘MUXA’ was not declared in this scope
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control\ArduinoRobot.cpp:18: error: ‘MUXB’ was not declared in this scope
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control\ArduinoRobot.cpp:18: error: ‘MUXC’ was not declared in this scope
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control\ArduinoRobot.cpp:18: error: ‘MUXD’ was not declared in this scope
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control\ArduinoRobot.cpp:19: error: ‘MUX_IN’ was not declared in this scope
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control\ArduinoRobot.cpp:22: error: ‘BUZZ’ was not declared in this scope
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control\ArduinoRobot.cpp:25: error: ‘Serial1′ was not declared in this scope

Your help is highly appreciate it.

Hi Both,
Don't really like robot kits, but I have built a Pololu Zumo, that was good, but I ran my own software running my own hardware, or lately included a DRV8833 driver module, as this performs a lot better then the L298/93 which always cost you 2v+ lost in the output transistors, use a FET based driver much better.

@HMI23funR it looks like your code is expecting a library that's not there?? Check their right and in the right place!

@ HWilson84 Here in the UK I'm not a Radioshack fan, think we did have some stores years ago.

Hello, I posted this question to the RadioShack web site because they have a forum on questions regarding this kit. However, I have not gotten an answer yet (it's been 10 days).

Well well what a suprise!!

But I would sooner start with a cheap chassis kits from China via eBay for £7-9, and add a driver shield, HS-C05, etc. This way you learn, even if you make mistakes, and we all do!!

So I suppose your codes a bit different and relies on the said library/s you can't learn anything this way, not even C..

We're here to help but you have to help us, give us some more info, etc.

You can see some of my bots here: www.melsaunders.co.uk under Electronics..

Regards

Mel.

MODERATOR - Can we make a Make:It Robotics help page in the forum? I just started using this and the first project out of the gate was tricky. I think I'll be posting a bit more as I try the different projects.

First things first. You have to unzip the download from Radio Shack. Just unzip it to it's own directory on your desktop. Then drag to move (or ctrl-drag to copy) the entire "MakeItRobotics" directory that is inside over to the ARDUINO>Libraries directory.

If you just unzip, then point the Arduino compiler to the program listing, the compiler can't find any of the references for the variables in that program. Arduino expects to find those references SOMEWHERE in it's own "libraries" directory. The ones you need are in the "MakeItRobotics" directory, so you need to copy it there.

After you compile, AND if you have hooked up the motors and sensors correctly AND you still cannot get it to operate. Try this:

Try using it under fluorescent lights or out side for full bright light. The sensors packed in my kit don't seem to like incandescent lights too much, so they just ride right over the line and keep going. Ugh. Not very impressive.

Once you turn it on and it goes (slowly) you can try modifying the program a little to speed it up.

Good Luck with your project. I'll be trying the Walking Bot and the Remote Control Bulldozer next. I'll post if I find any hints or tips.

Hi Ramjammer,

But I would sooner start with a cheap chassis kits from China via eBay for £7-9, and add a driver shield, HS-C05, etc. This way you learn, even if you make mistakes, and we all do!!
even C..

Not a kit fan, the only kit I did buy was the Pololu Zumo, but that was only the Chassis, which I suppose is a bit different, but doing it all yourself is much more fun, entertaining and you learn how the hardware and software work together, and when it comes to modifying you know how to to do, because you know your bot, inside out.

Regards

Mel.

My line following robot also only go straight line. Please let me know if you have any advices on how to test the optical sensor within the kit.

I have the kit but when i built the walker robot only one leg moved. It was like the sensor wasn't working, but when i checked it everything was working fine. Can anyone help me?

Radio Shack is closing most stores and all items were 60 to 80%, I purchased the starter kit and the last two add-on kit for a discount price. My grandson and I build the walker kit. I didn't know that I also needed the Uno R3 USB interface until I built the kit. Surprise, the only way to get a R3 interface was to order one online.
I received the programer, followed the instructions, keep getting the error message when loading. I am no amateur in electronics, I have spent many hours but still a problem. I get not help on the Radio shack site, so I will try this site, thanks for all the help.
I have uninstalled all software and reloaded, all files in are one folder. When I click on the, examples/stater kit/ walk.ino, the Arduino program opens, I click load, get error. At first the yellow led was blinking, now it is only steady on.
I will keep trying all help within this forum.
This has not been a good experience for me or my grandson, just frustration,,,,,,,,,

Hi,
hotrod, try your robot in subdued light or darkened room, someone else found the optical interrupters, if it has any, responded more to ambient light than the built in emitter LED.

Just a thought.. Tom..... :slight_smile:

I finally got the walk file loaded. I uninstalled 1.6 and tried 1.0 arduino version.
But now the problem is only one side moves. Switched motor wires so both motors work.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen,
i have purchased the RadioShack kit mentioned in this thread but the site to download the file is no longer available. Does anyone know where else i can get the files?

Make-it-Robotics-Starter-Kit-Support-Files.zip

Thank you
Alex Belenkiy

can anyone share the support file please.. I really need it too... Tnx

you can download files from www.instructables.com or the blog http://joepitz.wordpress.com/

Thank you so much Breton... you save my day... again thank you

BRETON:
you can download files from www.instructables.com or the blog http://joepitz.wordpress.com/

This site has moved, here is the new link. Shouldn't somebody just put this on github? Although I am very grateful Joe put it up there.

http://www.joestechblog.com/2014/09/15/makeit-robotics-starter-kit-download-files/

So, just checked and RadioShack actually did put it on GitHub, but didn't bother to tell anyone:

GitHub - RadioShackCorp/2770168-MakeItRobotics-Starter-Kit: Support files, user's guide, library files, and example sketches for RadioShack Make: it Robotics Starter Kit (SKU 2770168) The Product Manager in me decided to submit an issue Document Installation into Arduino IDE · Issue #1 · RadioShackCorp/2770168-MakeItRobotics-Starter-Kit · GitHub

I got everything downloaded as it said to in the first message, but I can't upload it to the arduino. Can anyone help?

Hi everybody,

I recently got the starter kit and the other project kits, but when I loaded the linefollow program on to the arduino it only moves forward an inch and then stops. I've already gone through the wiring a million times and have even put new batteries in. What should I do?

Dear all,

anyone know where i can find the kit and buy it. i cant find it anymore on RadioShack website.

please help

Best Regards,
Bakeer

i want help finding a way to use this motor shield for other projects but i don't know where to start....can someone help me controlling the motors with a wired remote control with two buttons...each button connected to a motor....thanks

I can not find the library. I found it on Github but the IDE wont take it because of the numbers. Please help