Ball machine Motor / Power Help.

Hi All,

Im not sure if i have posted this in the right place as it is my first post.

I have had an idea for the past 2 years or so and it keeps coming back in my mind asking to be built. I am looking at making an automated ball machine that will fire tennis balls to start off with, i have done a bit of work on researching what other people have used (Motors / Drivers etc) and have found the following parts are commonly used.

2x https://www.robotshop.com/uk/makeblock-10000rpm-24v-high-speed-cnc-motor.html

2x Amazon.com

Is this correct / are there any issues with the above listing?

I have used arduino lots before but only dabbled with smaller motors in the past. Could someone please recommend a battery that will power these for 1-2 hours at a time.

Any other advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Im a bit of a newbie but am willing to learn as much as possible to get this project done!

Many Thanks
Connor

I would like to ask you question. where Ball machine motor is used ?

I'm pretty sure there have been other Forum Threads about tennis ball throwing machines. Get Google to find them.

...R

It will be used for Field hockey but i will use tennis balls as the projectile. As for googling it i have done and can find very little specific information as to what batteries / motors or drivers people have used in the past.

Any help would be awesome!

Many Thanks
Connor

As I understand it you have two counter-rotating flywheels to launch the balls, and need to supply
enough power to overcome friction and energy loss from launches, which depends on the speed
and frequency of launches. The squeezing of the ball on launch is likely to drain a fair amount of
energy too, perhaps as much as the kinetic energy imparted.

DC motors will be the easiest to speed control. With careful selection of flywheel diameter you
can fit the motor speed to your motor of choice I reckon.

Driving two flywheels from one motor is going to involve some mechanism, itself draining power
from the system (toothed belt drive is rather lossy, but reasonable simple, quiet and robust), so you'd best
allow a good margin for the power rating of the motor.

Any idea of max launch speed, firing rate, mass of ball?