how can I play audio and control a 64x32 rgb matrix panel in the same project?

I'd like to be able to play music files like wavs or mp3's AND use a 64x32 rgb matrix panel in the same project.

additionaly, the audio must be triggerd with minimal lag, so not noticable when triggered by a button press. And, it must be able to play 2 or 3 sounds together at any one time.

has anyone done this? can anyone offer any advice on what hardware and libraries would do this?

more information;

I'm building a batak arcade machine where the aim is to press buttons when they light up, and press as many as possible within a time-frame.

The Arduino DUE or ZERO seems to be the way to go for audio, but they're not supported by the adafruit 'rgb matrix panel' library.

the adafruit wave-shield and music-maker-shield use pin 11, which is also used by the rgb matrix. I dont think this can be resolved.

I've experimented with the adafruit sound-fX-board, but this triggers audio with too much latency. The delay which is said to be 100ms is noticible when triggered by a button press.

I've used a RPI to do this, but would rather use a good old arduino.

And, it must be able to play 2 or 3 sounds together at any one time.

That pretty much dictates you use this hardware:-

playing up to 14 sound files at the same time
https://robertsonics.com/wav-trigger/

This means the audio stuff is offloaded into another processor leaving lots of time to control your matrix.

this looks ideal! will report back. thankyou

thanks grumpy_Mike. the sparkfun wav trigger does the job beuatifully. i'm so pleased to have found this board as i've been messing with this issue for so long, and could only achieve what i wanted with a rpi, mcp2017's, sfml library, wiring pi lib, and Hzellers rgb matrix lib, etc. it took so much faffing around to do on a rpi, and there are other issues like needing a UPS to protect the pi when the machine is unplugged. any way, the wav trigger board is low latency, and plays loads of tracks at the same time, and allows me to use whatever controler i want.. exactly what i needed. thanks