Fried my servo by connecting it to powerbank.

I was trying to power my servo and the idea of powering it through a powerbank by using the usb breakout seemed to be pretty decent to me. But seconds after connecting my motor to it , the servo started getting hot and is not working now.
I was wondering why that happened as the output of the powerbank is 5v and I checked it too with a multimeter. I thought the current required will be drawn according to the motor need.(is this assumption of mine wrong?) or is there something else that I missed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Screenshot_20190324-000931[1].png

5V is perfectly safe for a servo, unless you wired it backwards.

Yep,if the servo is a 5V servo and a 5V supply killed it then you wired it wrong.

Steve

Maybe I carelessly did that.
It means its perfectly fine to power it by using a breakout board right and powerbank right.

A 5V powerbank yes. I have no idea what "a breakout board" means to you but most of the ones I know of don't power anything, they need power themselves.

Steve

Thanks for the info guys.

There is another path to the overheat failure you experienced.

If you can power a servo with a proper power source and then command the servo to move, but prevent the servo from moving, it will overheat and fail.

Some servos have a range of movement limit and if you drive them beyond that limit, they bind and overheat.
Or maybe you have something attached to the output arm of the servo that was preventing the servo from moving.

Thanks vinceherman.