Bike interface OBD

aster94:
it is the same! i didn't wrote the last "D"

Me too :slight_smile:

Alright - the logic level analyzer has arrived! Still waiting on the SOIC to DIP converters though.
Is there something I can already do now that I have the analyzer?

better to wait, meanwhile you could see the schematics here and you should start to find the resisors for the voltage divider to check the k-line (12-14V) with the logic analyzer (max 5V) some value like 10k and 5k would works well

aster94:
better to wait, meanwhile you could see the schematics here and you should start to find the resisors for the voltage divider to check the k-line (12-14V) with the logic analyzer (max 5V) some value like 10k and 5k would works well

I used 10k and 20k - the curiosity just got the better of me and I hooked up the logic analyzer to the bike.
I've attatched the whole analyzer file to the post (used Pulseview), but here is an overview of the interesting parts.
D0 is TX
D1 is RX
D2 is KLine with voltage divider. high was around 4.2 volts.

Pulling K-Line low works well (echo on RX).

Pulling K-Line high after ~70ms

After waiting ~120ms, the sending happens. I think this is where everything is somehow effed:

For some reason, it doesn't get to send the second FF. It should be sending "FE 04 FF FF", but the second FF gets cut off? It also echos F8 FF back right away for some reason. The K-Link also stays low for a long time during sending the 04, and looks like it doesn't react to the sent signals?

Here, it should be sending "72 05 00 F0 99" but it looks like it's sending "78" as the first byte. Maybe the serial isn't ready yet? At other points in time I also got things like "72 02 00 F0 99" and other strange responses.

I assume this confirms that we just need to wait for the SOIC to DIP adapter and that's fine, just wanted to share because I feel this confirms something wrong with my setup.

odb1.zip (960 Bytes)

yes CapFirepants I confirm your thought, there is something not right, it looks like that the kline takes more time than needed to come back to HIGH

in the next days I would write a new sketch then I would suggest two other test:

1. run it without L9637D connecting the logic analyzer (LA) only to the tx and rx pin of the arduino board
  2. run it with the L9637D but without motorbike (you would need to feed the L9637D VS pin [number 7] with 12v) and with the LA check tx, rx and k-line [pin 6]

then if everything is as expected we could move to the motorbike

I am suggesting these two test because i would like to be sure of the seput before getting to talk with the ECU. I know that this means more work, are you interested anyway in the project?

Hello,

Iā€™ve read both this thread and the thread started by TriB on the KDS system and I have some questions and ultimately am hoping to determine if what I want is possible, followed by some next steps as Iā€™m sure this will be a journey! First Iā€™ll list my bike and current hardware, a bit about myself, then what I want to accomplish followed by what I interpret as being already solved and then a required hardware list. Finally Iā€™ll get into a summary of my questions.

Bike and Hardware:

Bike: 2013 Suzuki GSX-R1000
OBD Reader: OBDLink MX ā€“ reads ISO 14230-4 KWP (5 baud init, 10.4 kbaud) and ISO14230-4 KWP (fast init, 10.4 kbaud) (at least in the Android app that it comes with OBDLink)
Android App for Track: RaceChrono Pro
Camera: GoPro Hero5

My skills:

A little about myself ā€“ Iā€™m a mechanical engineer with a love for electronics and motorcycles, however have yet to use an Arduino. Iā€™m sure I can pick it up pretty quick as Iā€™ve done a variety of programming in the past and always learned fairly quickly. As for OBD, I worked with Vehicle information a few years ago and analyzed lots of the data logged from OBD readers but always had the calculations performed by the program and didnā€™t have to program and of the requests myself.

What I want to accomplish:

I would like to create an adapter/unit that takes the k-line data, and processes it for the OBD reader that I have (OBDLink MX) which then would hopefully be able to transmit the data to RaceChrono Pro for overlaying onto my track videos. RaceChrono Pro interacts with the GoPro, external GPS sensors and OBD readers and allows quick and easy video exporting which is why I want to use it.

That being said, as long as it ā€œfakesā€ the data such that an app like Torque can connect to it and read it like an OBD ELM then maybe it would work fine. The RaceChrono app can connect to any OBD ELM reader. So maybe I need to stick with existing solutions rather than trying to use the OBDLink MX. My only issue is that TriBā€™s solution has Bluetooth but is KDS and O5iā€™s is SDS but not Bluetooth.

So what I would like to do is create something similar to what TriB did for the KDS that will output the proper OBD required information to obtain SPEED, RPM, gear position and maybe a few more PIDS such as Oil temp, and coolant temp.

What I believe is solved:

TriB: KDS (Kawasaki) version on GitHub completed, working on an SDS version for Suzuki
O5i: Completed solution for SDS but not bluetooth

What hardware I need:

Iā€™m honestly open to anything at this point as I do not currently own an Arduino so basically let me know which version is the best to get and Iā€™ll go forward with that. I would assume that TriBā€™s hardware is probably what I need but if there is a better version please let me know:

Arduino Nano
HC-06 Bluetooth
L9637D
Ceramic-Capacitor 10 nF 50 V/DC
510Ohm Resistor

Questions:

1. Is it possible to get the data to communicate via my OBDLink MX? Or would I be better off going with something similar to TriBā€™s approach?
    a. Since my OBDLink MX has the K-2000 protocol does that help or simplify anything?

2. What would be my first step after buying the parts and assembling the circuit?

3. ECU Sniffing. Do I need to do this or would the results be the same as what you guys have already discovered? If I need to do it I would probably follow TriBā€™s Sniffer from Github ā€“ Does that work for Suzukiā€™s?
    a. Aster94 (post 69&71) on TriBā€™s thread has some GSX-R600 2011 pids which I assume would line up to my 2013 GSX-R1000. That being said, I know they can differ greatly from my work experience so I should probably run the snifferā€¦

4. TriB - How far did you get with your SDS version? If I canā€™t use the OBDLink MX then I think yours is exactly what I want to do.

I just spend 3 hours reading the forum posts (and hours before on another night). If Iā€™m not being clear or Iā€™m out to lunch please just let me know!

Thanks,

1 Like

Hello Earendil86,

nice to see that you are full into the topic and trying to get an overview rather then just asking stuff :slight_smile:

First things first:
My current solution (not yet published) is capable of both, KDS and SDS. But some things are not working properly. I hope I can fix that next week on a 4 day racetrack vacation :smiley:

If you go for that hardware design, you can easily convert the values and send them in OBD2 format.

But you can also use the OBDLink MX!
You just have to connect the K-Line, GND and V+. Then you need to reprogram the device via AT Commands, to make it SDS compatible.
Racechrono has a setup for that, where you can enter this commands, and then will be sent to the OBDLink on startup.

Lucky you, I am in a personal conversaton with Antti from racechrono and sent him some testdata, so he can include a conversion interface to make it possible to translate the single dataset from Suzuki into several values.
This will take some time to be included in the next version and IĀ“ll create more data to play around with, next week.

So, IĀ“d reccommend to just create a cable adapter and try that approach first!
I cant, because I only own a cheap china clone ELM327 OBD2 Adapter, which is not capable of being reprogrammed and I think the K-Line is missing.

1 Like

Hey TriB,

Thanks so much for your response! Glad to hear that youā€™re still working on your KDS and SDS solution. Itā€™s pretty awesome what youā€™ve been able to accomplish. Iā€™m very jealous of your 4 day racetrack vacation! Stay safe!

As for the hardware vs OBDLink, since there is an option to enter the commands and reprogram the device in OBDLink on startup Iā€™ll test that out! I had found that page long ago but didnā€™t realize I could use that in the app.

I would like to run my understanding of it by you though.

I assume these are the commands you were linking to:

ATZ
ELM327 v1.5
ATWM8012F1013E (set a special keep alive message)
OK
ATSH8112F1 (set a header for first negotiaton)
OK
ATFI (initialize bus)
BUS INIT: OK
ATSH8012F1 (set a header for data transaction)
OK
1A9A (Read ECU ID)
5A 9A 33 32 39 32 30 2D 30 .....
2108 (Read Data by Local ID)
61 08 0F 02 01 A0 02 02 A0 .....
82 (Close a connection)
C2
ATPC (ELM Protocl Close)
OK

If thatā€™s the case then in RaceChrono Pro I checked and it appears that this goes in the ā€œexpert settingsā€ menu under ā€œInitialisation commandsā€ which states, ā€œEnter additional ELM327 initialisation AT commands here, separated by \n. Example: ATSP4\nATIIA13\nATIB96\ATSH8113f1\nATSW00\nATAT2ā€

Based on that, I assume the text that I would enter would be:

ATZ\nATWM8012F1013E\nATSH8112F1\nATFI\nATSH8012F1\n1A9A\n2108\n82\nATPC

Or do I not need to enter anything after ā€œSet a header for data transactionā€? The next few lines are ā€œRead ECU IDā€ and ā€œRead Data by Local IDā€ followed by ā€œClose a connectionā€ and ā€œELM Protocl Closeā€.
So if not, then I guess this is what I would enter?

ATZ\nATWM8012F1013E\nATSH8112F1\nATFI\nATSH8012F1

Also, once that is entered and Iā€™ve built the cable and connected the OBDLink MX and started RaceChrono what will it give me vs what Antti and you are working on for this ā€œConversion interface?ā€.

As an extra note:

For anyone who might be reading, the link in TriBā€™s post to the data discussed above then links to a posters (kashimaā€™s) schematic for the Suzuki SDS to OBD cable. That image INCORECTLY lists:

SDS MALE SUMITOMO SEALED MT 090 6P #6189-6171 (Male connector)

The actual Suzuki connector to buy is:

SDS MALE SUMITOMO SEALED MT 090 6P #6187-6561 (Male connector)

This is true for at least my bike. I have not yet received the replacement but I can confirm the first one is incorrect.

YouĀ“re welcome :slight_smile:

The "Initialisation commands" should be

ATWM8012F1013E\nATSH8112F1\nATFI\nATSH8012F1
  • Set keepalive message
  • Initialize with 0x81 header
  • start communication
  • reset header to 0x80

Anything else is just additional information.

Now, the part is missing, where you can enter a custom PID (0x08) and translate the response to single values, like RPM, speed, etc.
This will definitely be a new feature, but I cannot tell you when this will be published in racechrono.

Until then, you can use a Laptop or a Smartphone to play around with it. Take a Bluetooth Terminal application and send the above values to your bike.
After initialization, you can transfer 21 08 to your bike and it should respond with 51 values of data at once.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Just found this thread!

I'm doing this for Marelli Magnetti 15M ECU as used on Ducati and Guzzi in the late 90's.

Just looking at different displays. Small OLED or larger TFT or maybe old school matrix LCD.

The ECU has limited data available on the K/L interface, so I have GPS for speed and am looking at directly measuring injector pulses to get fuel consumption.

Will post a few pics of my birds nest...

Thanks for the response again TriB!

I'm waiting on the connectors to arrive from China. It will probably be a month or two more before I make my cable since the first connectors were incorrect. Since I have a late start to my season this year (Aug) I'm not in a huge rush to start. As soon as I get the connector though I'll give it a test!

Thanks again.

Hey guys, I'm working on acquiring RPM, TPS and ECT from my Yamaha 2019 bike (MT09/Tracer):
on the bike there is a DLC connector where I'm get connected on the CAN bus with MCP2515 module... I can read lot of CAN messages but since it support also the OBDII protocol I'm asking for the OBD PIDs and now I can succesfully get RPM and ECT (the value match the dashboard!) but I'm not sure about the TPS:
my bike has the ride by wire and I'd like to read the real TPS not the throttle/handle position because if I open full throttle the ride by wire may not open fully the "real throttle"... hope make sense for you.
In short: I'm asking the ODB PID 0x11 for Throttle position as described also in Wikipedia but I'm getting 14% value with throttle fully closed and aroound 28% at fully open (engine off). If I start the engine I'm getting 14% at idle and if I lightly open the throttle it get incresed but can't test at full gas...
The formula I use is simply : float tps = (100.0 / 255.0) * rxBuf[3];

Can you help me understand? I was expected 0% at least at fully closed

Hi Bullone,

that indeed is a bit strange. The TPS mostly means the angle from the throttle valve, not the gas!
So it is right, that it is opened a bit on idle. But it must exceed 28% on full throttle.
Or the ride by wire does not change the valve, when the bike does not run?!?

Nice to see, that you have RPM and stuff already working :slight_smile:

Yes it is strange but maybe the TPS is limited by the ride by wire maps on the ECU while not in gear and a very low RPM.... I have to test it on the road logging the value.

I'll let you know

Hi,
I just got started with this library.
I got a vfr 1200 and want to create a new cockpit.

Iā€™ve order the additional component. And started with the emulator on a pi 3. But I canā€™t get it to work with the latest version of python.

It doesnā€™t handle request.clear()
Can you help out with a new version?

Tnx,
Steef

(Sorry, this post should have come in another thread on this forum)

Hey!

I finally got the OBDII port hooked up to my bike and want to test the 21 08 command that TriB mentioned in post 190. I am hoping for some assistance so that when I go to try i'm not stuck researching for hours to get it to work.

Initialization command (Post 190): ATWM8012F1013E\nATSH8112F1\nATFI\nATSH8012F1

Bluetooth Terminal App:

"Bluetooth Terminal" by Qwerty

My questions:

1. do I initialize through RaceChrono App and then use a bluetooth terminal to send the 21 08 command? Or do I send the Initialisation command directly through the bluetooth terminal application?

2. To send the 21 08 command what is the exact numbers that I have to type in the command prompt?

Thanks,

If you want to configure RaceChrono to make it work, take a look at Anttis Forum:
RaceChrono/Forum/BikeOBD
There you will find all you need 8)

Hey guys would this work on Yamaha? I sniffed some communication lines from the YDS scan tool and I cant seem to understand the protocol and format. See below

Line 1: Initializing ECU
FD 00 E5 ED E5 ED FE 10 FF 15 FE 10 FF 15

Line 2: Sensor Data Log
00 00 01 00 02 06 03 57 12 00 13 00 0A 00 0B 00 14 00 15 00 16 00 17 00 20 00 21 00 04 03 05 00 06 FF 07 FF 08 02 09 99 0E 00 0F 00 42 FF 41 F2 26 00 27 27 30 04 31 02 32 50 34 02 37 80

These 2 lines keep repeating over and over.

I dont know if any of this makes sense. But I need to figure out what is the Transmit command so I can get a reply from ECU

Thanks

Hello swellracing,

as far as I know, Yamaha does not work with a header. And I cannot see any kind of format with known SID and PID values, which Suzuki and Kawasaki are using.
So it is not a proper KWP2000 or ISO14230 protocol.

If both lines are getting repeated over and over, it seems to be a keepalive-value rather then a real message.

So to guess what this values means, we need:

• The message from YDS to the adapter, accordingly to what will be displayed on the YDS-tool (f.e. RPM)
  • The response from the bike to the YDS-Tool, with the value shown within the tool (f.e. 2,500)

Then move on to the next value like speed, temperature, pressure, etc.
Or reading diagnostic information.

Hi Guys,

I have had a quick read of this thread and it seems to be olong the lines of what I am chasing.

Firstly, I am just getting into this Arduino thingy so be gentle.

I have a Suzuki VZ1800, the tacho has crapped itself so I want to do a bit of a custom job with fancy effects on a colour disply. You guys have managed to play with the OBD code from the ECU, what I am specifically looking for is the data stream from the ECU to the tacho. I know what wire it is on and I have captured a couple of minutes of data with a logic analyser but it is all Greek to me. Where do I start? How do I pul apart this data? I am assuming there will be some sort of start byte. How would I recogonise it?

Would it be possible for one of the GSX owners be able to have a play and detemine what I am looking for or at least direct me in the right direction.

Thanks