Bench top DC Power Supply

I am after a Bench top DC Power Supply -- e.g.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=benchtop+dc+power+supply&client=firefox-b-ab&biw=1920&bih=1067&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitq6q1obHRAhWFtpQKHdyVCN0Q_AUIBygC

But I am after one that I can control a max amps on, but it also shows me the actual used amps

Does such a thing exist without going super expensive? If so, what is the feature called so I can search

thanks

I got this power supply several weeks back.
You can adjust CC prior to connecting it to your circuit then you read the actual current when things are connected.
This can be done with the two 0-30 volt channels but not the 5 volt one.

http://www.mpja.com/Variable-Dual-0-30V-3A-and-Fixed-5V-3A-Benchtop-Supply/productinfo/29623+PS/

thanks, do they (most) work in a similar way?

gggggggg:
thanks, do they (most) work in a similar way?

Units that supply CC/CV do. there are also CV units that only keep CV, and they are usually fixed voltage models, not variable supplies.

For a lab power supply, you are going to want to look for constant current CC and constant voltage CV in the documentation.

Edit.

Hi,
I have 2 of these and they are great.. It's nice to be able to set the current limit and see the actual current. Dual range on current means it's useful for both low and higher power circuits.

See the Manual HERE and get an idea of how it all works...

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop... (But you can find these on Amazon etc...)

If you're looking to spend a lot less money here's a really cheap volt/amp regulator. I suppose you could call it a fancy buck converter since it doesn't provide the AC/DC power conversion -- an old laptop power supply works well for that though -- and of course you need to provide your own chassis, banana plugs, and output/power switch in order to make it a useful benchtop supply.

Compared to Larry's or Terry's the big difference is that you don't get the expensive "isolation transformer" but if you don't know what the impact of that is then you probably don't care. You still get the same constant voltage or constant current control, however, and that's usually the thing that matters.

If you're really cheap you can try one of these and it also works quite well. You have to be a bit penny wise and pound foolish though, because after you've replaced the existing pots with panel mount multiturn pots and done all the work of building a chassis and bringing out the LEDs, etc., you will have invested much more time in it for the few dollars you save. DAMHIKT.

One more alternative:

I made this one which is taken out from an old desktop pc. It works great with some fixed voltages and adjustable DC voltage, having a meter also. If you like making a DIY PSU, searching for many tutorials on the web.

i got a rigol dp832...it can do all you want if you are willing to spend the money

gggggggg:
But I am after one that I can control a max amps on, but it also shows me the actual used amps

Lab supplies with adjustable current limiting are common and very useful for development.

Personally i prefer analogue meters as they are easier to interpret.

Digital readouts to 2 decimal places i rarely find useful.