Arduino 1.8 on Raspberry Pi.

Hi

first of all I wish all of you an excellen year 2018.

I am using the Arduino IDE on a Raspberry Pi.

I discovered the following points.

a) the Raspbian repository has a complete obsolete version of the Arduino IDE.
b) the current version for ARM installs beside the old version from Raspbian repository.
c) the current version for ARM has only partial libraries referenced: e.g. the Libraries for TM1637 segment Displays is not found.

All that is not critical, it makes however the learning curve for Raspberry users steeper.
Regards
Laszlo

1 Like

RIN67630:
a) the Raspbian repository has a complete obsolete version of the Arduino IDE.

Correct and that's definitely a problem. Its caused by a licensing issue that makes it not possible for them to update the package. You should always use the IDE version downloaded from
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

RIN67630:
b) the current version for ARM installs beside the old version from Raspbian repository.

Why is that a problem?

RIN67630:
c) the current version for ARM has only partial libraries referenced: e.g. the Libraries for TM1637 segment Displays is not found.

That library doesn't come with any version of the IDE. It's not specific to the ARM version. An essential skill for working with Arduino is learning to install libraries. That's just an unavoidable part of the curve but the library installation process has been made very easy. It would be impossible for the Arduino IDE to include every possible library anyone could ever want, there are thousands.

Woundn't it be possible to solve that licensing issue?

Seems like it should but I'm no expert in these things. You can read this for the full details:

What it seems to me is that Arduino have been very slow to deal with the situation, then when they finally did take action there was no response from the people responsible for making the decisions about whether that change would meet the licensing requirements.

What I've noticed is that the Arduino IDE packages available from the package managers are modified from the official IDE. This occurs not only with the Arduino 2:1.0.5-sdfg version (or whatever the hell it's called) available in the Linux repo, but also a snap package and a brew package. I believe this is because they don't want the toolchain files to be installed on a system multiple times. The problem is that the people making these modifications don't really know what they're doing. So we end up seeing people reporting problems with the IDE that turn out to actually be caused by the modifications made by some 3rd party. As soon as the official IDE is installed the problems go away. We also have no guarantee that some random person creating a package will continue to update it with each release. So actually I think the best solution would be for all these crap packages to be removed and for Arduino to take over the administration of the packages available via the package managers. I'm not sure why this isn't obvious already to all involved.

pert:
Seems like it should but I'm no expert in these things. You can read this for the full details:
Update license.txt for 1.6.0+ directory structure by maqifrnswa · Pull Request #2703 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub
What it seems to me is that Arduino have been very slow to deal with the situation, then when they finally did take action there was no response from the people responsible for making the decisions about whether that change would meet the licensing requirements.

What I've noticed is that the Arduino IDE packages available from the package managers are modified from the official IDE. This occurs not only with the Arduino 2:1.0.5-sdfg version (or whatever the hell it's called) available in the Linux repo, but also a snap package and a brew package. I believe this is because they don't want the toolchain files to be installed on a system multiple times. The problem is that the people making these modifications don't really know what they're doing. So we end up seeing people reporting problems with the IDE that turn out to actually be caused by the modifications made by some 3rd party. As soon as the official IDE is installed the problems go away. We also have no guarantee that some random person creating a package will continue to update it with each release. So actually I think the best solution would be for all these crap packages to be removed and for Arduino to take over the administration of the packages available via the package managers. I'm not sure why this isn't obvious already to all involved.

Ups! I see that experts are already working hard on trying to get that done.
I just was not aware of all the difficulties. IMHO it would be better to remove the obsolete package completely from the repos, so people needing the functionality would not run into a dead end.