Is it possible to clean ICs with Pure Alcohol ?

hello guys,
i hope you all having a great weekend
i would like please to know if it is possible to clean the ICs chips from dust with pure Alcohol ?

I have used isopropyl alcohol without problems.

Weedpharma

weedpharma:
I have used isopropyl alcohol without problems.

Weedpharma

aha a more than 90%
well mine is 95% but it says Aqua and Alcohol so it has to be ethanol as google search showed

firashelou:
aha a more than 90%
well mine is 95% but it says Aqua and Alcohol so it has to be ethanol as google search showed

Highly unlikely. The sale and labelling of such products are tightly regulated.

aarg:
Highly unlikely. The sale and labelling of such products are tightly regulated.

what do you mean ? i did not understand what you mean ?

i just put some pure alcohol in a cup and i threw the Shift registers 959 inside and after a while i took them off and cleaned them with a small towel and now leaving it to dry a little
is that a good procedure to do or it will have a negative impact on the ICs ?

firashelou:
what do you mean ? i did not understand what you mean ?

i just put some pure alcohol in a cup and i threw the Shift registers 959 inside and after a while i took them off and cleaned them with a small towel and now leaving it to dry a little
is that a good procedure to do or it will have a negative impact on the ICs ?

Alcohol will not damage the IC's. For your own health, treat it as a toxic chemical.

aarg:
Alcohol will not damage the IC's. For your own health, treat it as a toxic chemical.

ah ok gd because i cleaned the ICs with it

firashelou:
hello guys,
i hope you all having a great weekend
i would like please to know if it is possible to clean the ICs chips from dust with pure Alcohol ?

depends on the alcohol

isppropyl alcohol can work

Ethanol is subject to duty and very expensive.

Meths is a mixture of mostly ethanol and methanol to make it undrinkable methanol is very poisonous.

Meths contains an emetic to discourage you.

what do you want to clean off ?

Boardburner2:
depends on the alcohol

isppropyl alcohol can work

Ethanol is subject to duty and very expensive.

Meths is a mixture of mostly ethanol and methanol to make it undrinkable methanol is very poisonous.

what do you want to clean off ?

i am cleaning dust
the bottle i have doesn't say ! it says Pure Alcohol
and about the compositions it says : Aqua and Alcohol
that's all :confused:

deonised or distilled water should work for that depending what the dust is and you thouroughly dry it.
does nnot an air blast work ?

Boardburner2:
deonised or distilled water should work for that depending what the dust is and you thouroughly dry it.
does nnot an air blast work ?

i dont have one,
i have the normal hair dryer which won't work

but anyway what i did is take a cup put some pure alcohol the one you can use on injuries or for cleaning and put some in the cup and after i threw the shifts inside and then take them out and dry it with tissue and left it to fully dry in the normal air

Boardburner2:

Well, somewhat poisonous. The amounts cited are moderately difficult to ingest. :astonished:

Boardburner2:

Not usually. Generally a bitterantand possibly odorant.

There are fair few tourists who have bought cheap alcohol when travelling who would thoroughly disagree with that, a no of doctors as well.

In any case whatever the additive i find my local stuff leaves a residue so probably best not used for pcbs.

I'm not quite sure of the difference between a bitterent and an emetic but i'm not about to try and find out.

A bitterent make it nasty to ingest while an emetic make it easy to eject! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Weedpharma

grin.

As an addendum , industrial meths is an excellent solvent imo.

It does not have the residue associated with the over the counter.

Unfortunately eu taxation of alcohol encourages adulteration by criminal gangs and poisoning is too common.

This makes industrial meths extremely difficult to get.

I thought ethyl and methyl had a different carbon chain. Methyl = CH4O and ethyl = C2H6O.

Boardburner2:
grin.

As an addendum , industrial meths is an excellent solvent imo.

It does not have the residue associated with the over the counter.

Unfortunately eu taxation of alcohol encourages adulteration by criminal gangs and poisoning is too common.

This makes industrial meths extremely difficult to get.

Here, in France, you can buy "Alcool à brûler" in any supermarket. It consists of 90 to 95% ethanol with 5 to 10% methanol. Both are highly volatile and leave no residue making it very good for cleaning.

Russell.

equivalent here is rubbing alcohol.
Composition is different though its pretty good but im sure that there is something else in it , it feels slightly oily after evaporation

The french type cannot be imported to the uk without a licence, i tried once.

Boardburner2:
Composition is different though its pretty good but im sure that there is something else in it , it feels slightly oily after evaporation

That would be because it has oil in it!

And often, perfume as well.

Hint: Notice the name: "Rubbing Alcohol." :roll_eyes:

firashelou:
i am cleaning dust

and about the compositions it says : Aqua and Alcohol

Aqua i think is water according to cosmetic companies.

Alcohol type should be specified.

Over here rubbing alcohol uses isopropyl alcohol at 40 % as a denaturant.

Its not very nice for dust ime it evaporates slowly and sludges the dust making it difficult to vacuum.

Cleaning dust off psu's especially hv ones can be very annoying.

Not allowed to use compressed air as it blows it all over the place just a hoover.

industrial meths (brushed with adequate ventilation) used to be my preferred solution.

Cant have water in it.

Someone suggested colemans fluid but iv never been sure about that to try it.

edit
to be clear i was using pure isopropyl not rubbing alcohol.