[SOLVED]Arcade trackball to usb mouse help

Okay, so I did as you stated and modified the code and got everything to work. How would I go about making the trackball a lot less sensitive and more like the joystick? I can already tell by my test that I will need to somehow make a dead zone so the computer will realize that if I'm rolling the ball Up it actually goes up and ignores the little fidgets from side to side for instance. Also I'm looking for a way to have the acceleration taken into account. Like the faster I roll it the more the joystick registers in that direction. Like when you push just a bit on an actual analog joystick it goes a little bit in that direction. It is all working how you stated it would though, so many thanks to you for all your help thus far and I gave you some good karma for putting up with me though all this. I know I can be a bit annoying with simple to answer questions and all. I'm new to this but am learning a lot from you and I thank you for that as well.

Furthermore, how would I go about adding one more actual rotary encoder to the sketch as the Z axis. I tried doing it and all I get is it fidgeting back and forth in the properties window. I took the X axis and copied it and changed all the values that had "X" and changed them to Z and reduced the numbers to 63 and -63 but that didn't seem to work the way I hoped. Also if you could get this working, is there a way to have it accelerate the faster I turn the knob is that direction? I did this on pins 4 & 5.

I'm also having trouble adding buttons above pin ten. I'm getting the same result as last time where some of the buttons are locked down like they are being pressed even though they aren't. I'll post my code.

EDIT: I went ahead and installed some 1K pullup resistors on pins 4 & 5 but that didn't seem to fix the problem. I was reading on a different forum that sometimes the rotary encoder needs theses resistors to operate properly, however that didn't seem to do the trick :frowning: Also should I be hooking the centre pin of the encoder to GND or 5VDC? I currently have it hooked to GND.

#include <Encoder.h>
#include <Joystick.h>

// Constant that maps the phyical pin to the joystick button.
const int pinToButtonMap = 6;

Encoder axisX(0, 1);
Encoder axisY(2, 3);
Encoder axisZ(4, 5);

void setup() {
  // Initialize Buttons

pinMode(6, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(7, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(8, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(9, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(10, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(14, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(15, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(16, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(18, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(19, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(20, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(21, INPUT_PULLUP);

// Initialize Joystick Library
  Joystick.begin(false);
}

void loop() {
  Joystick.setXAxis(0);               // Center joystick X
  int newX = axisX.read();            // Read X encoder
  if (newX > 0)                       // Has the value increased since last read
  {
    Joystick.setXAxis(127);           // Set joystick X hard over to right
    axisX.write(0);                   // Zero encoder count for next time
 }
  if (newX < 0)                       // Has encoder decreased since last read
  {
    Joystick.setXAxis(-127);          // Set joystick hard left
    axisX.write(0);                   // Zero encoder count
  }

Joystick.setYAxis(0);               // Center joystick Y
  int newY = axisY.read();
  if (newY > 0) 
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(127);
    axisY.write(0);
  }
  if (newY < 0) 
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(-127);
    axisY.write(0);
  }

Joystick.setZAxis(0);               // Center joystick Z
  int newZ = axisZ.read();
  if (newZ > 0) 
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(63);
    delay(50);
    axisZ.write(0);
  }
  if (newZ < 0) 
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(-63);
    delay(50);
    axisZ.write(0);
  }

// Read button pin values
  for (byte index = 0; index < 12; index++)
  {
    byte currentButtonState = !digitalRead(index + pinToButtonMap); // Read button state
    Joystick.setButton(index, currentButtonState);                  // Set state in joystick
  }

Joystick.sendState();               // Send the joystick data
  delay(50);                          // Wait a bit
}

A lot of questions...
Adding more encoders is possible but it may impact the performance of the first 2 encoders. From the encoder page I linked it...

Encoders have 2 signals, which must be connected to 2 pins. There are three options.
Best Performance: Both signals connect to interrupt pins.
Good Performance: First signal connects to an interrupt pin, second to a non-interrupt pin.
Low Performance: Both signals connect to non-interrupt pins, details below.

I would then suggest change to the 'good performance' model and have one encoder pin connected to an interrupt pin (pins 0-3) instead of the current two pins.

The button reading code was only for testing the joystick library worked as expected and is not really suitable for more buttons like this as it cannot cope well non contiguous pin numbers, as you have found.
I suggest putting the button pin numbers into an array and then using that array to configure the pins and read them.

A dead zone might not be so important if you can make the trackball act like an analogue joystick as the off axis values will be small when rolling in a single direction compared to the test code that makes any movement in any axis a full joystick axis move.
A possible way to do the acceleration is to count the number of changes in an axis within a fixed time interval as this will be higher the faster the encoder is rotated, you then map this change value to the amount of joystick movement.
I don't have the hardware to check what value you would get for this so you will need to work on this (with a bit of help).
I would start with loading the original encoder code posted on the library web page that prints the encoder changes to the Serial monitor and then modify it to suit your encoder pins and time interval, and run it.
Start turning the encoder at a fixed speed that sort of matches your minimum joystick movement so you get several results printed in the serial monitor and then do the same at the speed you would expect for full joystick movement. This should give an idea of the min/max values used for acceleration.
Once you have that the code can be altered to use it.
I will try to make time to change the code to suit more buttons and post it here but I'm working (or meant to be :slight_smile: so might not have time.

Try this sketch to test the encoder counts at different speeds.

#include <Encoder.h>

// Change these pin numbers to the pins connected to your encoder.
//   Best Performance: both pins have interrupt capability
//   Good Performance: only the first pin has interrupt capability
//   Low Performance:  neither pin has interrupt capability
Encoder knobLeft(0, 1);
Encoder knobRight(2, 3);
//   avoid using pins with LEDs attached

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("TwoKnobs Encoder Test:");
}

void loop() {
  int newLeft, newRight;
  newLeft = knobLeft.read();
  newRight = knobRight.read();
  if (newLeft != 0 || newRight != 0) {
    Serial.print("Left = ");
    Serial.print(newLeft);
    Serial.print(", Right = ");
    Serial.print(newRight);
    Serial.println();
    knobLeft.write(0);
    knobRight.write(0);
  }
  delay(50);
}

And this sketch is your code modified to allow the reading of all buttons.

#include <Encoder.h>
#include <Joystick.h>

Encoder axisX(0, 1);
Encoder axisY(2, 3);
Encoder axisZ(4, 5);

const byte buttonArray[] = {6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21};

void setup() {
  // Initialize Buttons
  for(byte x = 0; x < sizeof(buttonArray); x++)
  {
    pinMode(buttonArray[x], INPUT_PULLUP);
  }

Joystick.begin(false);
}

void loop() {
  {
    Joystick.setXAxis(127);           // Set joystick X hard over to right
  }
  {
  }

int newY = axisY.read();
  if (newY > 0)
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(127);
    axisY.write(0);
  }
  if (newY < 0)
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(-127);
    axisY.write(0);
  }

int newZ = axisZ.read();
  if (newZ > 0)
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(63);
    delay(50);
    axisZ.write(0);
  }
  if (newZ < 0)
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(-63);
    delay(50);
    axisZ.write(0);
  }

{
    byte currentButtonState = !digitalRead(buttonArray[x]);   // Read button state
    Joystick.setButton(x, currentButtonState);                // Set state in joystick
  }

}

Riva:
And this sketch is your code modified to allow the reading of all buttons.

#include <Encoder.h>

#include <Joystick.h>

Encoder axisX(0, 1);
Encoder axisY(2, 3);
Encoder axisZ(4, 5);

void setup() {
  // Initialize Buttons
  {
  }

Joystick.begin(false);
}

void loop() {
  Joystick.setXAxis(0);              // Center joystick X
  if (newX > 0)                      // Has the value increased since last read
  {
    Joystick.setXAxis(127);          // Set joystick X hard over to right
    axisX.write(0);                  // Zero encoder count for next time
  }
  if (newX < 0)                      // Has encoder decreased since last read
  {
    axisX.write(0);                  // Zero encoder count
  }

Joystick.setYAxis(0);              // Center joystick Y
  int newY = axisY.read();
  if (newY > 0)
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(127);
    axisY.write(0);
  }
  if (newY < 0)
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(-127);
    axisY.write(0);
  }

Joystick.setZAxis(0);              // Center joystick Z
  int newZ = axisZ.read();
  if (newZ > 0)
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(63);
    delay(50);
    axisZ.write(0);
  }
  if (newZ < 0)
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(-63);
    delay(50);
    axisZ.write(0);
  }

{
    byte currentButtonState = !digitalRead(buttonArray[x]);  // Read button state
    Joystick.setButton(x, currentButtonState);                // Set state in joystick
  }

Joystick.sendState();              // Send the joystick data
}

So over a length of about ten to fifteen feet away from the arduino cable length, would i need to add some 1k pullup resistors as well as the internal pullups for the buttons and the encoders? Now because of you i understand the button code fully, thank you. Okay for the trackball encoders, would i be able to use the same counting technique as the normal encoder knob? I havent tried the code you posted yet as i just changed benches and some things are shuffeled around lol. I should be able to trt your code and report back to you with the results.

hydrolisk1792:
So over a length of about ten to fifteen feet away from the arduino cable length, would i need to add some 1k pullup resistors as well as the internal pullups for the buttons and the encoders?
1K seems a bit strong as a pullup but this will all depend on the type of wire and if it's screened. If your getting spurious readings the maybe start with 10K and work your way down toward 1K. Another option might be to put the Arduino near the encoders and run a longer USB lead back to the computer.

Now because of you i understand the button code fully, thank you.
The original code was just the example supplied with the joystick library but it doies not suit none contiguous pin numbers so using an array seemed the sensible thing to do.

Okay for the trackball encoders, would i be able to use the same counting technique as the normal encoder knob?
Not sure what you mean here. As the test code stands it sends the joystick data every 50 milliseconds (plus overhead) and the encoders are read in a interrupt so may/may not update more than once in that time. How fast they update also depends on there resolution and how fast you turn them and this might be okay at a lower speed.
The test code reads the encoder counts every 50ms then zeros them and prints it out so you should be able to determine how many pulses you get at different encoder speeds and this information can be used to add velocity to the encoder joystick axis.
If you want to add a third encode to the mix then either the other two encoders need connecting differently so only one interrupt is used per encoder instead of two (reducing performance) or the code will need to poll the third encoder quickly to manually count pulses.

Okay I hooked the Trackball to to the serial monitor and that is exactly what I needed the trackball to do. So I will try to somehow mix that code into the joystick library and see what happens. The Minimum number is about 0 - 1 Plus Minus. and the max number is roughly 210 - 222 Plus Minus. I also unhooked the trackball and hooked up one rotary encoder to the serial monitor and I'm thinking that my rotary encoder is damaged or something because I couldn't get it to go above Plus Minus 2 in the serial monitor... I'm going to try spraying some cleaner into it and see if that will fix it. I've seen this happen to rotary encoder knobs on the Microwaves we have at my work and I spray them with this special cleaner and they work like new, so I'll take it to work with me tonight and spray some stuff in it and see if that does the trick... All the buttons work BTW :slight_smile: Thank you for that. I'm going to experiment with the two codes you gave me and see if I can get the track ball to act the way it does in the serial monitor.

So I tried a bunch of things and just kept getting errors when I went to verify the code... I only came up with one that didn't throw an error and was actually able to upload but it doesn't work at all. All it does is fidget around the cross in the properties window in like a one pixel circle. All the buttons still work though. :confused: I'll post the code that "Kind of" works.

#include <Encoder.h>
#include <Joystick.h>

Encoder axisX(0, 1);
Encoder axisY(2, 3);
Encoder axisZ(4, 5);

//Number of Physical Pins that buttons are attached to. Ground out to simulate button press.

void setup() {  
  // Initialization of Buttons with internal pullup resistors
  {
  }

Joystick.begin(false);
}

void loop()

{
  {
    Joystick.setXAxis(newX != 210);           // Set joystick X hard over to right
  }
  {
    Joystick.setXAxis(newX != -210);          // Set joystick hard left
  }

int newY = axisY.read();
  if (newY > 0)
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(newY != 210);
    axisY.write(0);
  }
  if (newY < 0)
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(newY != -210);
    axisY.write(0);
  }

int newZ = axisZ.read();
  if (newZ > 0)
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(newZ != 63);
    delay(50);
    axisZ.write(0);
  }
  if (newZ < 0)
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(newZ != -63);
    delay(50);
    axisZ.write(0);
  }

for (byte x = 0; x < sizeof(buttonArray); x++)
  {
    byte currentButtonState = !digitalRead(buttonArray[x]);     // Read button state
    Joystick.setButton(x, currentButtonState);                  // Set state in joystick
  }

}

So I did this (see code) instead and it is working a load better. However the actual rotary encoder knob I have on the Z axis is still acting up. I haven't cleaned it yet but when I do I will report back to you and let you know.

#include <Encoder.h>
#include <Joystick.h>

Encoder axisX(0, 1);
Encoder axisY(2, 3);
Encoder axisZ(4, 5);

//Number of Physical Pins that buttons are attached to. Ground out to simulate button press.

void setup() {  
  {
  }

Joystick.begin(false);
}

void loop()

{
  {
    Joystick.setXAxis(axisX.read());           // Set joystick X hard over to right
  }
  {
    Joystick.setXAxis(axisX.read());          // Set joystick hard left
  }

int newY = axisY.read();
  if (newY > 0)
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(axisY.read());
    axisY.write(0);
  }
  if (newY < 0)
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(axisY.read());
    axisY.write(0);
  }

int newZ = axisZ.read();
  if (newZ > 0)
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(axisZ.read());
    axisZ.write(0);
  }
  if (newZ < 0)
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(axisZ.read());
    axisZ.write(0);
  }

{
    byte currentButtonState = !digitalRead(buttonArray[x]);     // Read button state
    Joystick.setButton(x, currentButtonState);                  // Set state in joystick
  }

}

Try the below code that maps the values (with a little overhead) you supplied from #29 to the range expected by the joystick.

When you say the Z encoder did not work well it may be because the encoder is not as higher resolution as the trackball but it might also be because of what pins you connected it to?

Deleted due to being wrong version.

Riva:
Try the below code that maps the values (with a little overhead) you supplied from #29 to the range expected by the joystick.

When you say the Z encoder did not work well it may be because the encoder is not as higher resolution as the trackball but it might also be because of what pins you connected it to?

#include <Encoder.h>

#include <Joystick.h>

Encoder axisX(0, 1);
Encoder axisY(2, 3);
Encoder axisZ(4, 5);

void setup() {
  // Initialize Buttons
  {
  }

Joystick.begin(false);
}

void loop() {
  Joystick.setXAxis(0);              // Center joystick X
  newX = constrain(newX, -255, 255);  // Constrain the value as mapping can be wrong if range is exceeded
  newX = map(newX, -255, 255, -127, 127); // Map encoder values to the range expected by the joystick
  if (newX > 0)                      // Has the value increased since last read
  {
    Joystick.setXAxis(127);          // Set joystick X hard over to right
    axisX.write(0);                  // Zero encoder count for next time
  }
  if (newX < 0)                      // Has encoder decreased since last read
  {
    axisX.write(0);                  // Zero encoder count
  }

Joystick.setYAxis(0);              // Center joystick Y
  int newY = axisY.read();
  newY = constrain(newY, -255, 255);  // Constrain the value as mapping can be wrong if range is exceeded
  newY = map(newY, -255, 255, -127, 127); // Map encoder values to the range expected by the joystick
  if (newY > 0)
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(127);
    axisY.write(0);
  }
  if (newY < 0)
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(-127);
    axisY.write(0);
  }

Joystick.setZAxis(0);              // Center joystick Z
  int newZ = axisZ.read();
  if (newZ > 0)
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(63);
    delay(50);
    axisZ.write(0);
  }
  if (newZ < 0)
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(-63);
    delay(50);
    axisZ.write(0);
  }

{
    byte currentButtonState = !digitalRead(buttonArray[x]);  // Read button state
  }

Joystick.sendState();              // Send the joystick data
}

I tried the code above and it still throws the cross in the properties window to the extreme edges with no variables in between. The code I posted in #31 works the best with the trackball. It is acting as if an actual analog joystick is attached to the pins with variables included and acceleration.

As for the Z encoder knob I have attached. I cleaned it tonight at work but I am still getting the same result :frowning: So my encoder knob has 5 pins on it. The top two are the button which I have attached to one of the buttons, then the three pins at the bottom are attached to pin 4 and 5 and the middle pin I have going to ground. I also have a 10K resistor attached as a pullup on pins 4 and 5. I tried it with and without the resistors but I get the same results. So in short, the Z encoder is where all my troubles are now. Any ideas? I will try to monkey around with the code and all and see if I can sort out something whilst I wait for you. Thank you again mate! I have learned so much from you so far! :slight_smile:

OMFG, I figured it out. When I went back and read your post wondering what pins I had the encoder hooked to, I figured it out. I remembered reading about interrupt pins and looked that up on the forums, like which pins on my board have these. I changed the code around, added a few things and came up with this code. Everything is working nicely.

#include <Encoder.h>
#include <Joystick.h>

Encoder axisX(0, 1);
Encoder axisY(4, 7);
Encoder axisZ(2, 3);

const byte buttonArray[] = {5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21}; 

void setup() {  
  {
  }

Joystick.begin(false);
}

void loop()

//Trackball to Joystick bit
{
  {
    Joystick.setXAxis(axisX.read());  // Set joystick to read value
    axisX.write(0);                   // Zero encoder count for next read
  }
  {
  }

int newY = axisY.read();            // Read Y encoder
  if (newY > 0)                       // Has the value increased since last read
  {
    Joystick.setYAxis(axisY.read());  // Set joystick to read value
    axisY.write(0);                   // Zero encoder count for next read
  }
  if (newY < 0)                       // Has encoder decreased since last read
  {
  }

//Volume encoder bit
  int newZ = axisZ.read();            // Read Z encoder
  if (newZ > 0)                       // Has the value increased since last read
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(63);            // Set encoder to read value
    axisZ.write(0);                   // Zero encoder count for next read
  }
  if (newZ < 0)                       // Has encoder decreased since last read
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(-63);           // Set encoder to read value
  }

{
  }

}

I know this is off topic, but it is about another topic, could you take a look at this for me? I'm completely lost on this.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=509500.0

Head slap moment here. I added in the code to read the encoder & map its range but forgot to alter the code to reflect this. Below is what I should have sent you in #32. :blush:

#include <Encoder.h>
#include <Joystick.h>

Encoder axisX(0, 1);
Encoder axisY(2, 3);
Encoder axisZ(4, 5);

void setup() {
  // Initialize Buttons
  {
  }

Joystick.begin(false);
}

void loop() {
  newX = constrain(newX, -255, 255);  // Constrain the value as mapping can be wrong if range is exceeded
  newX = map(newX, -255, 255, -127, 127); // Map encoder values to the range expected by the joystick
  Joystick.setXAxis(newX);            // Set joystick X 
  axisX.write(0);                     // Zero encoder count for next time

int newY = axisY.read();
  newY = constrain(newY, -255, 255);
  newY = map(newY, -255, 255, -127, 127);
  Joystick.setYAxis(newY);
  axisY.write(0);

int newZ = axisZ.read();
  if (newZ > 0)
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(63);
    delay(50);
    axisZ.write(0);
  }
  if (newZ < 0)
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(-63);
    delay(50);
    axisZ.write(0);
  }

{
    byte currentButtonState = !digitalRead(buttonArray[x]);   // Read button state
  }

}

hydrolisk1792:
OMFG, I figured it out. When I went back and read your post wondering what pins I had the encoder hooked to, I figured it out. I remembered reading about interrupt pins and looked that up on the forums, like which pins on my board have these. I changed the code around, added a few things and came up with this code. Everything is working nicely.

I would suggest altering this to use the constrain/map code I posted as you can end up with out of range values else.
Glad you got it sorted in the end.

hydrolisk1792:
I know this is off topic, but it is about another topic, could you take a look at this for me? I'm completely lost on this.

LCD Smartie + Arduino Nano + 10937P-50 Alphanumeric VFD Help??? - Displays - Arduino Forum

You might do better asking an moderator to move the post to a more popular forum like Programming.

It would be difficult to write a library for hardware I don't have plus I'm going to be out of the country for 3 weeks from Wednesday so probably would not have time to do anything.

Riva:
You might do better asking an moderator to move the post to a more popular forum like Programming.

It would be difficult to write a library for hardware I don't have plus I'm going to be out of the country for 3 weeks from Wednesday so probably would not have time to do anything.

Okay, how do I ask the moderator to move the thread? I could maybe send you the display and the nano. Are you in the USA? I can pay the shipping both ways.

hydrolisk1792:
Okay, how do I ask the moderator to move the thread? I could maybe send you the display and the nano. Are you in the USA? I can pay the shipping both ways.

On the bottom of each post is a 'Report to moderator' link. Just click it and ask that the thread be moved to a more suitable forum.
I do not live in the USA.

Riva:
On the bottom of each post is a 'Report to moderator' link. Just click it and ask that the thread be moved to a more suitable forum.
I do not live in the USA.

Okay thank you for all your help mate and have fun on your holiday.

Here is the fully working code we all on here came up with if anyone else is interested in doing this as well.

#include <Encoder.h>
#include <Joystick.h>

Encoder axisX(0, 1);
Encoder axisY(4, 7);
Encoder axisZ(2, 3);

const byte buttonArray[] = {5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21}; 

void setup() {  
  {
  }

Joystick.begin(false);
}

void loop()

//Trackball to Joystick bit
{
  {
    axisX.write(0);                   // Zero encoder count for next read
  }
  {
  }

int newY = axisY.read();            // Read Y encoder
  if (newY > 0)                       // Has the value increased since last read
  {
  }
  if (newY < 0)                       // Has encoder decreased since last read
  {
  }

//Volume encoder bit
  int newZ = axisZ.read();            // Read Z encoder
  if (newZ > 0)                       // Has the value increased since last read
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(63);            // Set encoder to read value
  }
  if (newZ < 0)                       // Has encoder decreased since last read
  {
    Joystick.setZAxis(-63);           // Set encoder to read value
  }

{
  }

}