Graphics library for NodeMCU (ESP8266), ESP32 and serial+parallel TFT displays

Does that mean that we cannot use something like this or wouldn't that only be inaccurate?

if ((pt.x>=420) && (pt.x<=480) && (pt.y>=0) && (pt.y<=40)) {

I already created a menu with up down, left right and zoom + - on the right upper side.
The part works, short press brings that menu up, longer press brings up MainMenu.

The commands for Zoom in and zoom out are quite easy to create I think. It requires to grab the currentzoomlevel and do a i++ or i-- for every touch, download that map and display that map.

I was thinking of something like this:

if ((pt.x>=420) && (pt.x<=480) && (pt.y>=0) && (pt.y<=40)) {
if (currentPage == '0'){ 
// Page 0 PanAndZoom, page 1 MainMenu, Page 2  manual update, based on presstime
         tft.fillScreen(TFT_BLACK);
Serial.println("Zoom IN pressed") ;
currentZoomlevel =  geoMap.getCurrentZoomlevel(); //added in geomap.h
 for (int i =  currentZoomlevel; i++;){ 
    delay(500);
  geoMap.downloadMap(mapCenter, i, _downloadCallback);
  geoMap.convertToCoordinates({0,0});
  geoMap.convertToCoordinates({MAP_WIDTH, MAP_HEIGHT});
  tft.fillRect(0, geoMap.getMapHeight(), tft.width(), tft.height() - geoMap.getMapHeight(), TFT_BLACK);

You can find the (probably not compiling version due to missing brackets to close the loop) code here

Mac_che:
Does that mean that we cannot use something like this or wouldn't that only be inaccurate?

If you run the code in post #122 you will see in the Serial Monitor window that the coordinates are in raw ADC values. These could be used but are likely to be in the range 0 - 4095. Also the coordinate origin of the touch screen may not be in the same place as the origin of the screen.

How hard would it be to write (just for debug purposes) an Adafruit compatible driver using ILI9431 as a template. Tried myself but cannot get the init to work (Used your init and notro's init, screen stays white)
Any idea's?

Nevermind, it wasn't that :o. After setting a few print statements I saw that it crashed on setFreeFont
Setting it to setTextFont(2); worked.

Have to change a few settings to make it fit the 480*320. It even works on 160MHZ.

I had to use the JPEGDecoder version from FredericPlante. Yours gave me everything but no Google Maps background.

Mac_Che were you able to get the latest plane spotter working? if so what did you do?

Hi Stan, yes I am.

it takes a few changes. (I'll save you the trouble, i'll upload a working sketch) I made a few changes to a few libraries so it's easier to upload it and attach it here since Github is kinda new. (TODO, upload to Github)
I changed a lot to make it fit my screen (320*240) and my wishes. Still working on the touch, I am close.
It sometimes reset and lines (heading) aren't drawn, which it dit initially, have to look in to that.
I want bigger font and more space between the text but hey, I came this far :slight_smile:

I took me a while to figure it all out but I managed. Experience in c++ or Arduino code is still below any average. It took a steap learning curve and mostly some time,coffee & perseverance
As always, it wasn't that hard if you know what you're doing (I have some clues what I am doing) but I liked the leaning course. I tried to make as much comments as possible while changing things.

I also included the library's I modified (TFT_eSPi) in the next post (Due to upload size). Read the original readme by Daniel for the others)
fredericplante's Jpegdecoder changed names due to recovery and is now called JPEG_CODEC, old one will work also.
You can find it here
Huge thanx to Bodmer for the liTFT brary and the responses!

By the way, you need this for touch: XPT2046_Touchscreen PaulStoffregen
And ofcourse credits to Daniel Eichhorn who made the whole Planespotter sketch in the first place.
See blog
His Github for Planespotter: esp8266-plane-spotter-color

The sketch is as is, I did not gave myself credits in this one. Free to use.
If you cannot open the zip, it's actually a renamed rar file (due to forum limitations)

esp8266-plane-spotter-color-working-orig-latest-TextFont-Bodmer-eTFT.zip (57.3 KB)

Modified TFT_eSPI (Added some functions)
Only cpp and .h are modified, Download Bodmer original library here and copy them over.
(Forum limitations and things like that)

Library-TFT_eSPI-modified.zip (30.7 KB)

Nailed the code for touch and Zoom (working), now need to calibrate the screen because touch seems reversed

sorrry I am new to this....I am using a st7735 display and a nodemcu esp32

I modified the User_Setup.h file and uncommented the following lines:

#define ST7735_DRIVER
#define TFT_WIDTH 128
#define TFT_HEIGHT 160
#define ST7735_INITB
#define TFT_CS PIN_D5 // Chip select control pin
#define TFT_DC PIN_D2 // Data Command control pin
#define TFT_RST PIN_D4 // Reset pin (could connect to RST pin)
#define SPI_FREQUENCY 27000000

and connected:
CS pin on the st7735 to NODEMCU pin D5
DC on the st7735 to NODEMCU pin D2
RST on the st7735 to NODEMCU pin D4

and ran one of the examples but the display is blank !

what am I doing wrong ?

afox:
sorrry I am new to this....I am using a st7735 display and a nodemcu esp32

You need to use numeric numbers for the I/O pins with an ESP32, for example use:

#define TFT_MISO 19
#define TFT_MOSI 23
#define TFT_SCLK 18
#define TFT_CS 15 // Chip select control pin
#define TFT_DC 2 // Data Command control pin
#define TFT_RST 4 // Reset pin (could connect to RST pin)

On an ESP32 the hardware SPI port can be mapped to almost any pin, but those are the ones I use and work fine.

thanks so much it finally worked !!!

I used the following pins:

#define TFT_MISO 19
#define TFT_MOSI 23
#define TFT_SCLK 18
#define TFT_CS 5
#define TFT_DC 2
#define TFT_RST 4

even if MISO to pin 19 is not connected !

afox:
thanks so much it finally worked !!!

It looks like red and blue are swapped so try a different "TAB" option in the setup file if this is the case.

Good luck with your project.

Is there an easy way to download (6Kb) bmp (from a/my internal server) and throw them out of memory when no longer needed?

Mac_che:
Is there an easy way to download (6Kb) bmp (from a/my internal server) and throw them out of memory when no longer needed?

The simplest method if the server handles http GET commands is to use a method like this example. However as the image is small, and I assume frequently fetched and erased, then the image can be stored in a RAM array otherwise you could wear out the FLASH memory.

What I assume (Please verify) is that it is not possible to write to SPIFFS during runtime, only during setup phase.

Since i can't store the 1500+ images directly to SPIFFS since it's total size is more than 5MB, i was thinking that I simply download the images I need while they're being seen (silhouettes of the airplane) and store them on SPIFFS. I don't think I will ever see all the 1500+ Airplanes on the device so that's not a problem.

Everyime I download the images during runtime it resets and throws a stack trace on the serial interface.
The images are ok since storing (a few ofcourse) of them to SPIFFS directly and show them on the display works.

I am ok with storing them into ram but well, i can't find any examples for it.

Mac_che:
What I assume (Please verify) is that it is not possible to write to SPIFFS during runtime, only during setup phase.

Since i can't store the 1500+ images directly to SPIFFS since it's total size is more than 5MB, i was thinking that I simply download the images I need while they're being seen (silhouettes of the airplane) and store them on SPIFFS. I don't think I will ever see all the 1500+ Airplanes on the device so that's not a problem.

Everyime I download the images during runtime it resets and throws a stack trace on the serial interface.
The images are ok since storing (a few ofcourse) of them to SPIFFS directly and show them on the display works.

I am ok with storing them into ram but well, i can't find any examples for it.

SPIFFS is a FLASH based filing system so files can be created and erased during runtime. The main problem is that the FLASH will eventually wear our after maybe less than 1 million write cycles.

There are many reasons why the ESP8266 throws an exception (stack trace), the common reason is the watchdog reset, in this case calling yield() frequently (more than once per second) fixes it. Another reason is using too much RAM or writing past the end of an array.

Unfortunately it will be difficult for me to help you with your project due to the many unknowns in your setup and sketch.

Fixed! Changed the delay from 1 to 1500..than I saw the serial slowly doing it's job..so I played with the value and between 50 and 100 seems ok.

I updated my dev branch accordingly for anyone who's interested.

If any credits are not where they should be, please let me know.

The TFT_eSPI library has been updated on Github to support the SPI overlap mode with the ESP8266.

This means that a SPI based TFT can share the MOSI, MISO and SCK pins with the program FLASH and thus frees up at least 2 GPIO pins for other uses.

To use this capability the latest Github version of the ESP8266 board package must be used in the IDE, as it is not a formal release yet this must be obtained direct from Github. The board package was updated in May 2017 to support the overlap mode. If readers are unsure how update the board package manually then it would be best to wait for the next board package version to be released.

Can someone with more knowledge of arduino IDE help me porting

to this library?

What I can deduct it's a script with the functions separated from the driver.
Like: VNCScripts>Framebuffer (function calls for the TFT drver...sort of a wrapper)>TFT driver
So it seems like we need to substitue some references to eTFT. When I tried it gave me a lot of errors
(mostly init related errors with the tft driver) I can't figure out what or how to proceed.
IT would be a nice add-on to use it with this driver.

@Mac_che

Looks like an interesting library... I will take a look.

I came across the complete pin mappings for this 3.5" RPi TFT display buried in the aliexpress site. Just in case anyone needs them:

Interface Definition:
PIN NO. SYMBOL DESCRIPTION
1, 17 3.3V Power positive (3.3V power input)
2, 4 5V Power positive (5V power input)
3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16 NC NC
6, 9, 14, 20, 25 GND Ground
11 TP_IRQ Touch Panel interrupt, low level while
the Touch Panel detects touching
18 LCD_RS Instruction/Data Register selection
19 LCD_SI / TP_SI SPI data input of LCD/Touch Panel
21 TP_SO SPI data output of Touch Panel
22 RST Reset
23 LCD_SCK / TP_SCK SPI clock of LCD/Touch Panel
24 LCD_CS LCD chip selection, low active
26 TP_CS Touch Panel chip selection, low active