Free virtual Uno simulation environment

Ooooo... downloading as we speak.

Thanks.

edit.... well blink works :). That's really good stuff.

How does it handle complex external hardware? That's where all the fun happens.

A good point -- UnoArduSim sure can't simulate any oddball faults/bugs inside your specific external hardware I/O device, but by attaching the corresponding UnoArduSim "fault-free" IO device you can tell you if your code is the problem. The limited set of these virtual IO devices and supported libraries (which could be expanded in a following release) will hopefully be sufficient for most users, and if your particular device is not supported yet, you can try temporarily commenting-out/replacing the section of code that accesses it so that you can still test the other parts of your program.

1 Like

Excellent job!
Thanks so much for sharing it.

1 Like

Regarding....

How does it handle complex external hardware?

... I would encourage people using the simulator to teach Arduino use to encourage a good design/ development skill along the road to coping with the fact that the simulator probably WON'T simulate every possible bit of external kit:

"Stuff" boils down to inputs and outputs.

For a maybe-almost-too-simple example: Suppose I was using the simulator to develop software for a system to unlock my front door if I press the right buttons on a keypad.

In the final product, the Arduino will make an output high to make the door-lock-thingie unlock. FOR THE SIMULATION, I doubt that there is a door-lock-thingie "device" in the simulator. But there will be an LED. If I can "do" the LED in the simulation, I've solved the Arduino and software problems for doing the door lock in the real world. Yes... there are also some electronics issues... but I can make a great start on the overall road to success with the simulator.

Three cheers for this EXCELLENT initiative. I haven't played with it, but if it even ALMOST works, let's all get busy on... Facebook?... ick!... etc, and GET THE WORD OUT. If it even almost works, let's make getting it working even better worth the time of the people behind it.

And no, I'm not one of them (^_^)

P.S.

Download problem solved! See post of 22 Jan 15

On 22 Jan 15 I cut down the following, but left parts to highlight the dead end which I suspect remains, and to make the following point, which was originally a PS...

===
Umm... Ah... there I go getting all excited, rushing in. (Again.) Before we all get behind THIS one, maybe we should explore the field a bit? I had no idea (duh) that this wasn't the first. Several listed, with brief notes, at...

http://blog.oscarliang.net/arduino-simulator-free-virtual-circuit-hardware/

... but I STILL think we should be promoting the good ones!

====
Modified comments on download from original post....

ARGH!! OH NO!!

Download link had a dead end route waiting for you 6 Dec 2014. Linked to how Google's shared docs system operates, I suspect. (I had "works". Changed that.)

The simulator's site doesn't have any comments up about the download issue. (Didn't early Dec 14, nor 22 Jan 15)

If you go where the sites.google.com link in the announcement at the top takes you, from there, eventually, you get to a page with a link for downloading the program. If you examine the source for the page with the link for downloading the program, you will find your GMail email address in it! (I hadn't entered it for ages... must have logged into it for something else days ago.) I would guess that if you use the link, you are, ** unwittingly **, going to be sending your GMail email address to whoever put up the link you've been persuaded to click. Thank you Google. I don't (knowingly) give out my GMail eddress... and won't be clicking on links like this one again, now that I have suspicions.

The simulator may be genuine... I imply nothing on that front. But I've learned something about how drive.google.com resource sharing works that I'm glad to know.

Note as you look at the sites.google.com page, that it is not a Queens University, Kingston, Ontario page. The Queens logo appears under the word "Affiliations".

Hi Stan

I am a BSc Mech Eng Undergrad at Oxford Brookes.
My final year dissertation is on using and Arduino board to control a 12V 20A brushed motor.
Naturally that doesn't mean find an Arduino shield, plug it into the Arduino and then the job's done.
It means 'produce an investigation worth reading'.
Part of the dissertation has been the evaluation of Free/Open Source Arduino simulators.
I downloaded this today and it is very good, well done.
The Fritzing simulator has superior graphics, but it comes nowhere near yours on the practicality front.

Thanks for the effort.

best regards
Paul Lancaster

1 Like

awesome im going to give it a shot ive been thinking a very similar thing!

i put a post in gigs and collaborations for something im going to start working on in processing that will simulate
the target MCU'S output if a "hypothetical" pinout of basic digital components that can be determined using a database of truth tables for ICs that are designed as particular logic gates, but, as you said complexity is proportional to both fun of outcome AND mental strain achieving it, and there's a lot more fun than just ones and zeros to be had with other electrical components.

im afraid i too got an error for the dl page of the zip file.

Downloaded 1/19/2015 installed on win7 64 bit system.
Works excellently!!
Professor Simmons:
I am retired computers and electronics technologies instructor and would like to link students to your simulator for a new online course I am preparing on Arduino and circuit prototyping in the maker vent.
Would you have any objections to my putting a link to your program in the course along with credits to you?

I have been considering another professional program but your program fits my requirements very well.

Thanks
Tim

1 Like

Update: Hurrah! Download problem solved! See post of 22 Jan 15

Rest is modified verion of original post...

Tried download again... still problems. (Original had details of what I'd tried... including...)

Tried to add yet another piece of software to my computer, as the download process seemed to "need" that. (The special "zip extractor", or whatever it was called)

Not necessary. (See post of 22 Jan 15)

How do I like to "publish" free things... or access them? Go to, say...

Try the "download a .zip with the code and a compiled .exe file in it." See if it gives you any hassle? (And let me know, if it does!) (It will give you a little Windows program, illustrating topics in Lazarus programming. (Lazarus: An open-source, multi-platform language similar to Delphi.)

ok cool well im pretty certain i want to pursue making my own processing/VB/Arduino virtual platform any how. i mean if anything should be free source it should be things that make life easier for those that are pushing their mental boundaries throughout the world ie designing and innovating anything (which is broad enough i think) so yep thats why i posted something in this vein in the gigs and collaborations section to try and get something like this cooking anyway.

thanks for posting the link ill take a look

ah this is my 32 bit ill try the 64 now. lol this 32 bit is in better nick because my dad never used it because the power adapter was blown and he assumed must be laptop.

i did find one (you'll need to google it i cant remember the link) that created the simulation on an engine that is apparently built based on Maxwell's Equations hence you get all the fruit of wireless involved in the read out i suppose only thing that made me click out ocf the page was pricing unfortunately

but if i were in a more established stage of my life and could afford it hey... im sure you understand how much cost and time cutting would be involved having it handy in prototyping!

Just a tip regarding the problems with downloading mentioned above.

Once you are on the page with the download, Click on the little downward arrow on the right side and you should get a windows"do you want to download..." box. DO NOT click on the name of the file, this will give you a URL not found error (Unless you are loged in with a google account, I am assuming).

Hope this helps

1 Like

so hang on, that works for you? just staying on the page that clicking on simulator takes you to from the index? it get the same non functional google page whether i left OR right click on the zip link provided on that page on my 32 system. have not got round to checking my 64 or as i affectionately refer to it as "mr dusty"

For those who've had trouble downloading the simulator....

Once you are on the page with the download...

https://www.sites.google.com/site/unoardusim/services

...click on the little downward arrow at the right-hand end of the line and you should get a Windows "Do you want to download...?" box.

Hurrah!! Thank you Opal_1970! (I was so grateful that I actually remembered to click on his "Add Karma" button!) That was "the secret" I'd failed to grasp!! (Successful download just now with Windows 7/ Firefox 35.0)

Hello,

After a bit of a bother figuring out the download interface I was able to get in, install it and run it.

I have attached a photo of the URL and relevant area on the page to click. Google makes a mess of it.

Will be using the simulator in my MSc Robotics course this semester, in the School of Design at HKPU.

I will let you know how well it was received by (primarily non-technical) Mainland Chinese Designers.

Graham Leach
Visiting Lecturer, School of Design
Multimedia & Entertainment Technology (MSc)
Hong Kong Polytechnic University

Wow! I think I'll try it.

Tell me, how does it compare to Simulator for Arduino http://www.virtronics.com.au ? at Virtronics, we have a range of universities and educational institutions who use the Simulator and one purchased 200 licences last year.