Thicker wire for arduino

Hello,

I am trying to make my project more permanent, and the tiny jumper wires that come with the arduino are not suitable for what I'm trying to do. I want something thicker (ideally around 16-18 awg) but it needs to be able to plug into the arduino headers. Can I get ends that will fit into the arduino to crimp onto my wire? If so, what exactly should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Riley

Servo crimp pins

Or even better, learn to solder :wink:

Smiles79:
I am trying to make my project more permanent, and the tiny jumper wires that come with the arduino are not suitable for what I'm trying to do.

?
How much current do you want to draw.
Those tiny wires can handle more current than any Arduino pin can provide.

Google "screw shield", or "Crossroads screw shield".
Leo..

Yes to Crossroads screw shield!

16-18 AWG are not reasonable, too large.

DuPont pins are not designed for larger than 22AWG WIRE.

I have one of Crossroads screw shields and it the best investment you can make for an UNO r3.

Crossroads Fencing

With the exception of power and ground, there is no pin on the Arduino that can require current that exceeds what can be handled by those ubiquitous cheapo jumper cables. Those pins are connected directly to the pins on the Arduino, and are recommended to source or sink no more than 20mA, 40mA absolute maximum - which the jumper cables can handle no problem.

If you need to handle higher current you need an external switch (typically a MOSFET), and you'd only need to make the other two wires going to the switch thicker.

The connectors that work are called Du Pont 0.1" connectors. They're very common. You can crimp them yourself, with a crimp tool, but it's very unpleasant (though better than it was before someone posted a guide in the electronics section). IME, male connectors going into female header doesn't work well, doesn't make good contact - you get a much better connection with male pin header and female jumpers, and from male pin header and female pinheader.

male connectors going into female header doesn't work well, doesn't make good contact -

Agreed.
Not for continual insertions.

In my experience, the round male pins on those jumper wires are too narrow to be reliable when placed in the stacking header sockets. They do work fine in a solderless breadboard. I use them all the time for testing, but when it comes to making something permanent, I ensure that there are male header pins for what I need, and then put female to female jumpers on those (because most modules also have header pins). I've had much better luck with that, and the cost is the same or less.

That's because the male header pins that all shields have are a larger diameter than the male jumpers because male headers are not designed to plug into breadboards but will still fit. Jumpers are designed specifically for breadbosrds. The best solution is male to male headers plugged into the stackable headers and female to male jumpers from the male header to the breadboard.

Or even better - if you want to use a breadboard, use a Nano.

Use 0.6mm single-strand wire for high current connections, or the sort of pre-made
cable with genuine dupont connector pins on ribbon cable. The cheap and nasty wires
you can get are not for high current. Single strand wire isn't flexible but can be used
direct into the female headers.

Don't use anything fatter than 0.6mm (AWG 22) or you'll stretch the socket forks and it'll become
unreliable. Solid core 0.6mm wire will take 5A without serious heating issues, the connectors
are only rated for 1 or 2A max.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I should have specified, but I'll be using an Arduino Nano because of my space constraints. This means that a screw shield won't work.

I'm not looking for thicker wire because of current draw, mainly because it seemed easier to work with and more readily available (these may be total misconceptions). I did however find these screw terminals that can be inserted into a breadboard, and I think that will be the ticket for me. The 0.1" Du Pont connectors may come in handy as well.

Thanks again!

Those screw terminals into a breadboard isn't going to be easy nor rugged.

Maybe this is something you can use?

Nano screw termimal?

I think the gravitech product Crossroads linked would be a lot less trouble. I don't think you can get any better than that.

Nano terminal adapter 1,83€ free shipment

See reply 13, posted one for $0,70 already :smiley:

septillion:
See reply 13, posted one for $0,70 already :smiley:

Well, I shall see how quickly four of them turn up!

$1 Aus each! Cheaper than any eBay seller!