Nutter or Genius?

Do you like math? Take some time to read this. Click some of his links. What do you think?

He found messages written by God in Pi ...

Personally I wonder about this guy, I enjoy some of his music and he holds some significant accademic positions, but he is also clearly nuts -

Duane B

Maybe he's just really stoned or tripping in that video. Anybody who loves music is alright by me!
What about his math knowledge? Does it make sense? Can you follow it? Do you see any mistakes?

I skipped through the article and when i read something along the lines of 'proves the existence of the pythagorean god, not the god of the many religions' i decided on 'nutter' on the basis of -

Here are some weak links between a few things - i am going to ignore that many thing are rather difficult to discover and do not have similar links but will still conclude that my few examples prove the existence of god and to cap it all, its not god after all.

Eh ?

Duane B

When I was eighteen years I noticed the 3_4_5 right at the start of pi.

What 3_4_5 ?

This guy takes a running start at nutter.

Did anyone notice what it reads if you write 3.14 and flip to the back side and read again? Trying to find some pattern in pi is a pretty foolish behavior of maybe obsession of arithmetic and the inability to understand more advanced mathematics at intro college science engineering level that finds pi value through calculus. What these nuts really love is to find a location where the local gravity is the square of pi. Maybe that is where their god is.

Of course, this whole argument only makes sense in Base 10 math.
Do it in Octal, Hex, I bet the results don't show any of these quirky patterns at all.

That's exactly his point Crossroads. No patterns show up in the beginning of Pi using any other base. There is nothing unique about base 10. We chose it because of our fingers? This proves that there is some connection between the base we use and the number Pi. Almost as if it were a message to us... He subtracted a constant from Pi and found no patterns in the beginning of the result. There is no simple constant you can add or subtract which creates interesting patterns. Nobody is buying it?

Just because you think there's a pattern doesn't make it real.

Pi is an irrational number (can't be expressed as a ratio of integers) regardless of base. It is the relation of flat space to lines if you look close. It is very important but will not reduce to anybody's short-cut BS philosophy. It's as simple as a circle without the meanings idiots would attach to that for which I am grateful, math is difficult enough without adding superstition.

Pi --- starting with 3 - 4 - 5? Oh puh-leeese! That twerp could care less about Pi, he's off on his own trip.

I'd put money on the whole thing being an exercise in image-pumping for the next release. I guess he had to go with Pi since Jon Anderson took the Golden Ratio for his revelation tool.

GoForSmoke:
Pi is an irrational number (can't be expressed as a ratio of integers) regardless of base.

Exactly. Or alternatively put it, a result of two incommensurate periods. I wonder why there's not as much fascination to other irrational numbers such as square root of 2 being 1.4142136... It's every bit as practical as pi. If you see some independent variable change by a factor of 2 but your dependent variable only changing about 40%, you are likely looking at a y=sqrt(x) situation. I routinely cancel square of pi with gravity g since their numerical values only differ by less than 1%. There's no hidden message here. Just numerical coincidence. I also hate the calender. Some irrelevant initial conditions have set the period of earth rotation, revolution around sun and moon revolution around earth and we are trying to make sense by hodgepodging these three incommensurate periods together into various calenders even to this day. The crazy leap day, some once per 4 years but not per 100 years but again per 400 years and again some stuff 8000 year you will have to do what?!

Don't forget leap seconds too 8)

And with the Mayan calendar running out ...

Essentially if you drive X channel with day and Y channel with year, your Lissajous curve will never close. :wink:

That is only because there is no relationship between the rotation of the Earth on its axis and the orbit of the Earth round the Sun. All the leap units of time compensate and stop the seasons drifting round the calander. Messages from God ought to start, Dear Mankind, otherwise you are just making it up.

sbright33:
There is nothing unique about base 10. We chose it because of our fingers? This proves that there is some connection between the base we use and the number Pi.

There you have it: incontrovertible proof that evolution is a lie, and we were intelligently designed with 10 fingers so we would choose decimal numbers and find the secret messages embedded in the value of pi ]:smiley:

And if that's not enough, don't forget that our eyes' spectral response was designed so we could see Jesus in that grilled cheese sandwich on ebay.

What more could you ask for?

LOL 8)

You may be right, but you shouldn't jump to conclusions about the relationship between the earth and sun rotation/orbit. 200 years ago you wouldn't expect the period of the rotation of the moon on it's axis is connected to the period of it's orbit. But it is exactly the same for good reason!

sbright33:
200 years ago you wouldn't expect the period of the rotation of the moon on it's axis is connected to the period of it's orbit. But it is exactly the same for good reason!

I am not an astronomer but enlighten me anyways.

liudr:

GoForSmoke:
Pi is an irrational number (can't be expressed as a ratio of integers) regardless of base.

Exactly. Or alternatively put it, a result of two incommensurate periods. I wonder why there's not as much fascination to other irrational numbers such as square root of 2 being 1.4142136... It's every bit as practical as pi. If you see some independent variable change by a factor of 2 but your dependent variable only changing about 40%, you are likely looking at a y=sqrt(x) situation. I routinely cancel square of pi with gravity g since their numerical values only differ by less than 1%. There's no hidden message here. Just numerical coincidence. I also hate the calender. Some irrelevant initial conditions have set the period of earth rotation, revolution around sun and moon revolution around earth and we are trying to make sense by hodgepodging these three incommensurate periods together into various calenders even to this day. The crazy leap day, some once per 4 years but not per 100 years but again per 400 years and again some stuff 8000 year you will have to do what?!

And I always thought it was Presidential elections that caused and forced leap years on us? :smiley:

The moon's orbit and rotation on it's axis has the same time period, because of it's shape. Gravity causes it to do both at the same speed. It is shaped like a football a little, not a perfect sphere.

sbright33:
The moon's orbit and rotation on it's axis has the same time period, because of it's shape. Gravity causes it to do both at the same speed. It is shaped like a football a little, not a perfect sphere.

Makes some sense. Not gravity, friction. This is the steady state of moon after so many years. I read up on wikipedia.