Power MKR1400 with Vin

Hi,

Is it possible to power the board only with Vin (no battery) ? My program is working well with USB but when I power the board with Vin only (no USB and No battery), the GSM module is not working : the program starts well but no communication.

I power the Vin with 5V input power.

Regards.

Hi olivchemin,

Yes it is possible. I'm also using Vin (instead of the USB connector) to power the board using the battery powerbank and the GSM module is also functioning without problem to send data to the cloud.

Do I have to make something specific in my code because, I am totally unable to make it run only with the Vin power input.

I removed the

while(!Serial){

}
in th setup function, but it is still not working... Any thought ?

olivchemin:
Do I have to make something specific in my code because, I am totally unable to make it run only with the Vin power input.

I removed the

while(!Serial){

}
in th setup function, but it is still not working... Any thought ?

As far as I know, the setup function has nothing to do with it. Could you post the hardware setup that you've done and also the code snippet to be proofed perhaps?

Hello
I am facing a battery problem.
My MKR1400 is powered via a USB 5V 3A power supply designed to power a Raspberry Pi.
I connected a LIPO battery of 1500 mAh.
Every 6 minutes, the software open a GPRS connection, sends the status of a pin, RSSI and battery voltage and closes the GPRS connection.
When I turn on the system, the orange LED lights up and the battery (3.70 V) charges for about 4 hours then the LED goes off, the battery is then at 4.17 V.
My system is always powered by the same 5V 3A power supply and the battery is always connected.
After a few hours the voltage drops slightly.
After 4 days it reaches 3.92 V.
After 7 days it reaches 3.70 V.
After 10 days it reaches 3.50 V.
After 16 days it reaches 3.10 V and the GSM begins to have trouble connecting to the network.
The charging cycle has never restarted, the orange LED remains off.
The charging cycle restarts if I unplug the USB 5V 3A power supply and reconnect it.
I tested on 2 differents MKR1400 and with 2 differents batteries and 2 differents power supplies, same problem...
The entire system consumes only 100 mA on the USB input.
Is there a problem in the management of the battery on MKR1400 boards ?
How to use this system continuously without having to disconnect and reconnect every 2 weeks?
Is it possible to do without the battery and power the system by the Vin using a 5V 3A power supply, for several months ?

Hey bro.

i was just having the same problem, but i think i have proved that i was unable to supply enough current/voltage to the VIN pin with the 5V power supply i was using.

To prove it works, try and use a larger 5VDC power supply.

i thought i would get away with a 1A power supply but had the same problems you were having.

Hope that helps.

Cam

Hello

I solved my problem by simply removing the battery and directly feeding the MKRGSM with its Vin pin with a 5V 3A smartphone power supply.
It works for 5 days, the modem connects every 6 minutes to send data and it works perfectly, something that can not be done with the same power supply connected to the micro USB input and with a 1500 mAh lipo battery.
I really do not understand why it does not work with the battery and the USB input as it would have been more secure because it plays the role of mini-ups.

I think there is really a problem in the battery management of the MKR1400.

With a battery and a power supply largely overpowered the battery is only charged at startup for a few hours then discharges slowly, the charging cycle never restarted, so it is unusable for a long time. This only works in a perfect world or a person disconnects and reconnects power every week to restart a charge cycle.