Analog VU Meter - I2C OLED SH1106 - OLEDMeter Animation

And it works! After building that audio-in circuit I was able to tap into my audio inputs from the positive pins on the XLR connector.

how did you get the i2c oled in fritzing? i cant find it anywhere...even on adafruits github its not there..

09ZX-6R:
how did you get the i2c oled in fritzing? i cant find it anywhere...even on adafruits github its not there..

Try here:

Great little project. Having fun with it! Question, just to give me a jump start, I'd like to leave this running for an extended period of time and was thinking how to use a screen saver timeout to blank the screen and use a physical button to reset the timeout and turn the screen back. I'd think if you leave it on continuously it would burn in the display.

Suggestions for a starting point or alternatives?

Thanks!

Do oleds burn in?

Not sure and do not know first hand. Just saw a mention of it happening from the author on this project:

The cheap 0.96" and 1.3" OLEDs will burn in, and slowly get dimmer over time. But they are cheap, so just keep replacement options in mind when building an enclosure for them.

OLEDs do burn in. I burnt a couple doing the uncanny eye project. Didn't notice 'till I tried them on another project where I wanted to see some detail and color. Granted I ran the eyes for a couple years.

-jim lee

ChrisTenone:
Do oleds burn in?

One thing that you need to consider is the 5V I2C signal. In the past I have added a logic level converter that drops the signal to the OLEDs to 3.3v as well. Dropping the signal to 3.3V adds life to these OLEDs.

Identical to the I2C part of the article used at SparkFun: Bi-Directional Logic Level Converter Hookup Guide - SparkFun Learn

stievenart:
One thing that you need to consider is the 5V I2C signal. In the past I have added a logic level converter that drops the signal to the OLEDs to 3.3v as well. Dropping the signal to 3.3V adds life to these OLEDs.

Identical to the I2C part of the article used at SparkFun: Bi-Directional Logic Level Converter Hookup Guide - SparkFun Learn

Thanks!

Hello.
One more implementation of Stereo VU Meter.
Video
Arduino code

I change sensitivity- its higher now.

MeterValueLeft = PeakLeft ; // convert volts to arrow information sensitivity
MeterValueRight = PeakRight ; // convert volts to arrow information sensitivity

Ordinary music player is enough to get peak.

Nice Job :slight_smile:

can I get the powermeter.bmp file from you

Been looking in to this so I have got the stereo version going but it seems to me that the delay between processing left and right channels is too great, has anyone else noticed this. I ca see it visually using a mono signal, the needles don't move In unison. I put a little test in to output to pin 13 (the one with the LED) every time one channel is updated. I observed a 8Hz output, in fact I also put an output to pin 12 when the other channel is updated, I didn't bother to read the trace that well as I had already decided that this was too slow and also, as I said before you can see it as too slow when running.

Any thoughts?

Faster microcontroller? Teensy 3.x, maybe?

Hi. I see it is old post, but i already start working on this project. Everything great and works. Just needles when sound is muted still moving a bit and respons time when music play is incorrect/ too late. Could i get some advises what i can do? If some one know something pleas send a email

0miker0:
Nice! Have you seen the difference between an i2c oled display and SPI? This is a video I made of the difference after making two different boards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvOX-xs9v8M
Your meter could possibly be more responsive.

Mike

Hi Mike. I appreciate your input. For a newbie like me, it would be helpful to actually state which one is running faster. Your video page - and here - says nothing, and visually, they look identical except for the speed of the animation, of course. I, for one, can't see which is connected SPI and which is on I2C.
I can read an implication that it may be SPI is faster than I2C, but I would appreciate a confirmation, just so this ignoramus is sure.

Thanks!

• a -

SPI is waaaay faster.
Both are serial streams. SPI uses separate clock and data lines, with a 3rd Chip Select line to let the slave know it is being accessed.
SPI clock default speed is 4 MHz, can be 8 MHz on a 16 MHz Uno or 1284P or Mega.

I2C use two lines, one for clock and one for data, but an address has to go out for the slave to recognize it ie being addressed, and for most bytes out an Acknowledge bit has to go back, Default clock speed is 100 KHz, but can go to 400 KHz.

400 KHz * 10 = 4 MHz, add in the address bytes and the ACK bits, and the effective difference is SPI is not 10X faster, but more.

AjaxOfTheRockies when you put your text inside the quoted text, it becomes difficult to tell which part is your text.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.