8x64 MAX7219 LED Matrix wrong orientation

Hey, i just got one of these chinese 8x8x4 MAX7219 boards. I tried to use the library from this site

"MaxMatrix" but its the wrong way around. I could break of the individual modules and solder it 90° but thats not an option (yet).

How do i modify the code provided on that side to work the right way around?

My modules running like this right now:

I think you are the first person who bought one of those. I was thinking about buying one thinking that they would have tested out before selling them.

Can you post a link to the actual item?

You might be able to get them to work if you buy the other type of 8x8 LED module. Can't say for sure without knowing what you bought.

If you are not stuck on using MaxMatrix, then you may want to try the MD_MAX72xx library (links below). Read the documentation. You can set the library for any type of matrix through some compile time switches in a header file. I am sure that this type has been seen and used before.

1 Like

ieee488:
I think you are the first person who bought one of those. I was thinking about buying one thinking that they would have tested out before selling them.

Certainly not the first person, and they are perfectly well tested.

ieee488:
Can you post a link to the actual item?

Most likely this:

Or that seller's alter ego.

ieee488:
You might be able to get them to work if you buy the other type of 8x8 LED module.

Total nonsense!

The "other type of 8x8 LED module", the one shown at the site quoted, is rubbish!

These modules are the only ones that should presently be used as they are properly stackable. They merely need the correct code as Marco points out. However you should add a 10 to 47 μF capacitor across the power lines at least every 4-unit module.

Paul__B:
Certainly not the first person, and they are perfectly well tested.
Most likely this:

What he says he bought and the image he included in his post are different.
That is why I asked for an actual link to what he bought on eBay.

How exactly are they perfectly well tested? YOU? ? ?

If they built and design them right, but I wouldn't count on that.
YOU may have bought a good one. That is not to say the one I will be the same.
My experience with eBay is jaded.

And as for the "Total nonesense". I was talking about row-anode-column-cathode versus row-cathode-column anode. His mentioning about rotation is what made me think of that.

Again, we need an actual link to what he bought, and none of your probablys and your maybes and your most likelys.
:roll_eyes:
Wait for actual information first, before, writing about "total nonesense".

No fighting pls.

Yes these are the modules i bought. FC-16 they are called.
Thanks to marco_c for the hint about MD72xx lib, which actually got USE_FC16_HW
now it works flawlessly.

Thanks, problem solved.

1 Like

gamerpaddy:
No fighting pls.

Yes these are the modules i bought. FC-16 they are called.
Thanks to marco_c for the hint about MD72xx lib, which actually got USE_FC16_HW
now it works flawlessly.

Thanks, problem solved.

Not fighting, but it is silly to post about hypotheticals instead of facts.

Those FC-16 modules are often sold individually in kits with one (1) 8x8 LED module and one pre-assembled PCB with the surface-mounted MAX7219.

The library you were trying to use are meant for modules like these

You were fortunate your seller sent you the right type of 8x8 LED module. Otherwise, you'd really would have been pulling your hair out trying to figure out what was wrong.

gamerpaddy:
Hey, i just got one of these chinese 8x8x4 MAX7219 boards. I tried to use the library from this site
https://brainy-bits.com/tutorials/scroll-text-using-the-max7219-led-dot-matrix/
"MaxMatrix" but its the wrong way around. I could break of the individual modules and solder it 90° but thats not an option (yet).

How do i modify the code provided on that side to work the right way around?

My modules running like this right now:

How to have resolved this problem??? Maybe You can upload modified library?

@Algis - refer to post #5

marco_c:
@Algis - refer to post #5

Hi there Guys,

ive read the post and looked at your site Marco (which is full of good stuff) but i cant seem to find out why the text is going from 1,2,3,4 but each screen is printing from right to left. Is there anything im missing?

Thanks for any help you may have :slight_smile:

UPDATE Found the error of my ways.. All Sorted

Hi All, I too have got one of these displays having the same outcome with the text scrolling the wrong way up.
I downloaded the MD_MAX72XX zip file, Changed the hardware to fc-16 but when i try to compile it I get an error message as below.
In file included from MD_MAX72xx.cpp:27:
C:\Users\Gavin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MD_MAX72XX-master\src/MD_MAX72xx_lib.h:476:45: error: #if with no expression
MD_MAX72xx.cpp: In member function 'void MD_MAX72XX::spiSend()':
MD_MAX72xx.cpp:277: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'beginTransaction'
MD_MAX72xx.cpp:277: error: 'SPISettings' was not declared in this scope
MD_MAX72xx.cpp:295: error: 'class SPIClass' has no member named 'endTransaction'

Am I doing something wrong? or am I missing Something?

Thanks Gav.

Where did you get the library from? Should have been the link in my signature block.

Please confirm that you have the latest from the Github site and are using IDE version 1.6 or later.

Hi Marco. Thanks for your help, I was running an older version of the ide. I used your library from your link and its fine. For some reason I can't get 1.6 on my pc keeps having issues, java I think, but loaded it onto another pc works fine.
Thanks Again.
Gav.

I have de same problem im not expert and i dont know how to solve, help please, i try md_max and parola,
My max is 32*8

You have not selected the correct matrix type for the MD_MAx72xx library. Please read the documentation related to this topic in the html files that come with the library.

Hello All

This is my First post in the forum.

I seem to have a similar problem with the MAX 7219 as well. In my case the Col0 / Row0 start from top right corner ... :o.

Not only that all text I send to the MAX is mirrored and start from the right. I have used LedControl.h library. Is there any other library available that i can use which will resolve the issue.

I have attached the sketch of the row/col scanning and i have to start the for_loop from 7 to 0, when i expected it to 0 to 7.

The display board just says MH for the product name.

Will appreciate any help. Thx in advance

Regards
Vijay

row_col scaning_reversed.txt (1.07 KB)

Video reference attached

Not

Please read post #2 and he rest of the thread, as this question is already answered.

Thank you.

marco_c:
You have not selected the correct matrix type for the MD_MAx72xx library. Please read the documentation related to this topic in the html files that come with the library.

Thanks,
and sorry i dont understand wath i have to do in what file. I only see one MD_MAX72xx library. Where i have to select? (i see i have Maxim 7219cwg 1518

You need to edit the MD_MAX72xx.h file and change the matrix type #define. There is a lot of documentation on the different types of matrix modules and how to do this in the docs folder, or you can look online in the code repository, where you got the library.