ATtiny 85 Problems

Hello, I am using an Arduino 101(Intel Curie) and am trying to program an ATtiny 85.
(Note: I am using Arduino 1.6.10)
I have
Board: ATtiny25/45/85
Clock:Internal 8 MHz
Port: COM3(Arduino/Genuino101)
Programmer: Arduino as ISP

I have followed the Arduino tutorial for setting up. When I clicked"burn bootloader", It got this error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.burnBootloader(SerialUploader.java:363)
	at processing.app.Editor.lambda$handleBurnBootloader$11(Editor.java:2752)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Error while burning bootloader.

I do not know how to proceed from here.

Thank You.

Which hardware package are you using to add support for the ATtiny?

I don't think the Arduino 101 is related to the problem since the burn bootloader process never got far along enough for that. I think you'll get the same error even if the 101 isn't plugged in to your computer.

1.6.10 is a bad version, use a newer release. See if it still fails. They were still shaking out bugs in arduino builder then, and the avr board package that comes with it has severe bugs.

All the 1.8.x versions have been good

I upgraded Arduino to 1.8.5, and ran it again. I got this error message:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "ATtiny25/45/85, ATtiny85, Internal 8 MHz"

Invalid library found in C:\Users\user\Documents\Arduino\libraries\attiny: C:\Users\user\Documents\Arduino\libraries\attiny
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
Error while burning bootloader.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Maybe my settings are wrong?
Thank You for your help.

That indicates it can't communicate with the Arduino as ISP sketch. Have you uploaded it to the board that it is being used as the programmer? (people always forget this, or forget that they uploaded something else after their last try) Also, could the board be resetting? Sometimes with the AVR arduinos it's necessary to disable autoreset; I don't know much about the Arduino 101, so I couldn't tell you how reset is handled on those... But if it resets when the serial port is opened, and takes longer than the IDE waits to come back, you'll get a sync error. On the AVR's with external serial adapters, you sometimes need to disable autoreset with a cap between reset and ground (any cap around 10uF will do it) - some people say they need it, some say they don't, and I don't yet know what's different between the two cases.

I don't recall hearing of anyone bootloading an AVR with Arduino as ISP running on the Arduino 101; I hope there isn't some larger issue there.

Invalid library found in C:\Users\user\Documents\Arduino\libraries\attiny: C:\Users\user\Documents\Arduino\libraries\attiny

Not the problem, but it looks like you have something in that location that isn't a library (note that manually installed board packages go under C:\Users\user\Documents\Arduino\hardware, which you may have to create)

Did you upload the ArduinoISP sketch (File > Examples > 11.ArduinoISP > ArduinoISP) to the 101?

I did upload the sketch to the Arduino, no problems there.