Faster Ethernet Anyone?

I remember when I was really happy to bump FTP performance from about 70kbps to 300kbps on the 3Mbps ethernet (yeah, those are all lower-case "b" for bits.) It seems that much before that, 56kbps was about the max link speed anyway, so no one had really noticed how slow the internet code was :slight_smile:

would you be interested in a faster [ethernet]?

I dunno. I'd rather have a board that had a better overall design for networking. If it's going to use SPI, it should at least have DMA for it's SPI interfaces. (some XMEGA chips can do that, I think.) Overall speed is probably less interesting than "overhead"; I have to generate the data I'm sending somehow...

Did you investigate using the parallel interface mode of the W5100 ? That seems more natural than putting a custom SPI controller in front of the SPI interface. You could even consider using a more intensive parallel interface to some other ethernet controller (say, like a Yun with higher speed interconnect between the ARM and AVR.)

There are only so many "fixes" you can make to an AVR-based networking device before you have to ask yourself "why was I not using a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black, again?" (or even: connect up the Ethernet on a Due-like design...)