USBasp v2

Is there a Arduino IDE support for http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-USBasp-USBISP-3-3V-5V-AVR-Programmer-USB-ATMEGA8-New-/261021924011
?
I know theres the USBasp but this USBasp is different.
Is there any files to add the support for version 2?

If the text on the pcb says "USBasp", it is a USBasp. Version 2 is no problem, just select USBasp.

It the text on the pcb says "USBisp", it is a USBisp and not a USBasp. The name 'USBasp' in the title at Ebay is misleading in that case.
If the proper firmware is installed, it acts just like a USBasp.
But the firmware is slightly different from the real USBasp, since other pins are used.
Conclusion: Use it as if it is a USBasp. If that doesn't work (old or wrong firmware) you have bad luck and you should get rid of it.

I made it work.
The one in the link seems legit.
I looked up into the drivers.
They were from 2005.
There was a link to the german site firschl.
I went there and found 2011 driver.
After I installed it and pressed burn bootloader in arduino IDE(note i didnt connect anything to the programmer)
it said that

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

Instead of not being able to find the programmer.
Anyway,where do I find the Atmega48 files necessary for arduino IDE to recognize it and be able to program onto it using USBasp?

Fischl is the developer of the USBasp, USBasp - USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers - fischl.de

If the Arduino IDE connect to a target via the USBasp, the target must be connected.
So perhaps the firmware on the USBasp is just fine.

Does the text on the pcb actually say "USBasp" ?
Are you sure it is a ATmega48. As far as I know they are ATmega8 running at 12MHz.
The newest firmware is at the Fischl site.
You have to use another programmer and set a jumper to be able to program new firmware into the USBasp.
I have done that a few times, although it was not necessary.

it says USBasp.
I got that latest driver.
Bootloader flashing without target was just a test run to see if its recognized.
Also it's Atmega8.
The 2011 driver says that it has added support for Atmega8.

Erdin:
Fischl is the developer of the USBasp, USBasp - USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers - fischl.de

If the Arduino IDE connect to a target via the USBasp, the target must be connected.
So perhaps the firmware on the USBasp is just fine.

Does the text on the pcb actually say "USBasp" ?
Are you sure it is a ATmega48. As far as I know they are ATmega8 running at 12MHz.
The newest firmware is at the Fischl site.
You have to use another programmer and set a jumper to be able to program new firmware into the USBasp.
I have done that a few times, although it was not necessary.

The USBasp programmer I bought at hobby king had a link to firmware files and showed one available for both mega8 and mega48 chips. Mine uses the mega8 chip.

So I think there are USBasp programmers that use either of those avr chips.

Lefty

After I installed it and pressed burn bootloader in arduino IDE(note i didnt connect anything to the programmer)
it said that...

That is a normal response if you don't have anything connected to the programmer. It will probably work okay. You don't necessarily need to update the firmware on the programmer, unless you plan to program AVR chips that run with clocking below 1 MHz.

I have one of those USBasp V2.0 programmers, by LCsoft Studio. It uses an ATmega8A chip. I was able to upgrade the firmware to the latest 2011 version. Seems to be running fine and the slow clk option is also working correctly.

If you really need to update the firmware on the programmer then you will need another programmer to program it. Do you need more info?

hiduino:

it said that...

That is a normal response if you don't have anything connected to the programmer. It will probably work okay. You don't necessarily need to update the firmware on the programmer, unless you plan to program AVR chips that run with clocking below 1 MHz.

I have one of those USBasp V2.0 programmers, by LCsoft Studio. It uses an ATmega8A chip. I was able to upgrade the firmware to the latest 2011 version. Seems to be running fine and the slow clk option is also working correctly.

If you really need to update the firmware on the programmer then you will need another programmer to program it. Do you need more info?

What i meant was that arduino recognized it.
I know it is supposed to say that when nothing is connected.

I have been able to use it (USBasp V2.0 Lcsoft Studio) with Arduino IDE 1.0.3 and with the ATtiny cores. I have tested it successfully with programming an ATtiny85 at 8MHz and ATtiny13A running at 128Khz clock.

One thing to note with any USBasp working with the Arduino IDE, there is a limitation that the IDE is not able to select a slow clk option with the USBasp programmers. So I did have to jumper JP3 on the USBasp board to force the slow clk option to program the ATtiny13A running at 128KHz.

If you don't use the IDE and use avrdude from command line then you can use the -B 50 option to slow the programmer down. But this only will work if the programmer is using the fischl.de firmware 2009 or 2011. The older firmwares did not support this option.

One thing to note with any USBasp working with the Arduino IDE, there is a limitation that the IDE is not able to select a slow clk option with the USBasp programmers. So I did have to jumper JP3 on the USBasp board to force the slow clk option to program the ATtiny13A running at 128KHz.

That is how my USBasp worked when I first got it, it would work but upon the completion of a action avrdude would print a warning message about needing a firmware updata to allow for CLK speed selection. So I found a newer firmware version on the hobby king support files folder, so I loaded the newest dated firmware file onto my USBasp and now it still works but the warning message is gone. My programmer did not have a J3 jumper for speed selection.

Lefty

@ retrolefty

Please do you have a link for the lattest drivers.....
I get always the same problem.... update the drivers...
Bud i connot find a driver later as 2011-5

Please help me

Here is the hex file I found attached below.

In the ad for the programmer

Toward the end of the ad there is a purple tab labeled FILES, click on it and there will be a list of files.
Double click on the one labeled "No File Name", that will download a zip file which in it has a file named
usbasp.atmega8.2006-12-29.hex
That is the one I loaded into my USBasp programmer that caused the warning message after every use to go away.

Lefty

USBasp-hex.txt (9.31 KB)

@ Retrolefty..
Thanks voor the link...
i trayd and trayd....
Bud no result....
Always teh same problem

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x1e000
         0xff != 0x0d
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

And i have make a correct update of the driver .
Bud still there is something wrong..

I do not now how hex files working..

Did i fixed now???

How can i check what bootloader i have??

Note the message to update firmware is not necessarily a bad thing. It doesn't mean it failed or anything. All it is pointing to is that it can't manually set the programmers sck clock speed via software control. However, most USBasp programmers from China, including HobbyKing have an auto-speed feature built in. So just because you are having a failure doesn't necessarily mean it's because of the programmer's firmware version.

If you are having verification errors with programming an ATmega2560, it is because of the larger memory space of those uC. Most ISP programmers do not properly support the larger memory space including these USBasp programmers. You will need a programmer that supports the stk500v2 protocol to address the larger memory space, like the AVRISPMkII programmer from Atmel.

The firmware version of the USBasp programmer can be found from the Details tab in the Device Properties. Version 1.4 is the latest when using usbasp.atmega8.2011-05-28.hex from the USBasp - USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers - fischl.de site.

USBasp_version.PNG

Bud again..
How do i now what bootloader is have..
Because i do not now or the update is coorect because is see the faillure...

In the attach my version of usbasp

ScreenShot068.jpg

I've bought one of these USBASP programmers but I don't understand the pinout:

are TXd and RXd (pins 4 and 6) used for programming the Atmega8A chip on the programmer (to update the firmware) or are these pins used to program other Atmega MCu's?

I found the answer how to program the Arduino Mega 2560 using a USBasp (v2.0) on a blog about 3D-printers. It uses just three avrdude-commands, and it worked like a charm.
http://cisana.net/burning-the-bootloader-onto-the-arduino-mega-2560/#comment-56