Go Down

Topic: VM/Interpreter - stack or register based? (Read 601 times) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

Some examples:
  • User needs a solution which will need adjustment 'in the field'. When adding a wifi-shield, he can send Serial Data to the Arduino to adjust the program.
  • User needs to write a large program and using external memory and an interpreter is able to (at the expense of speed.)
  • User builds program in the Arduino IDE and inserts a library to the interpreter. After uploading he sees that it does not work as expected and uses the Serial Monitor / Interpreter to probe the Arduino for debug info.

I must say I am not convinced.

I can't get away from the feeling that these are bandages for poor initial design - or poor choice of the platform for implementing the project.

The first case should be capable of being dealt with traditional Arduino code that is designed to accept user data for fine tuning.

For the third case, if the user can build a program with the Arduino IDE in the first place he will be able to build a modified version. And building debugging code into an Arduino program is SOP.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

christop

Best of luck implementing JIT on an Arduino. ;)
Oh, I wasn't recommending the OP implement a JIT on Arduino. That would be madness (but I'm sure someone out there is crazy enough to do it anyway). :)

And a 24x slowdown in a non-JIT VM is really not that bad.

Go Up