[SOLVED] Vidor 4000 Current Status?

With the exception of VidorTestSketch so far with my testing, nothing involving the FPGA is working with the currently released code. Does anyone else other then the folks at Arduino have any other evidence to the contrary?

Update: On Windows 10, I no longer get any "SAM-BA operation failed" and uploads are successful. I still consistently get "SAM-BA operation failed" on Win 7 Pro. Which seems to match this issue on the MKR1000 - Fail to upload to MKR1000 on Windows 7 · Issue #198 · arduino/ArduinoCore-samd · GitHub

Funny that after 50 reads this message had zero replies.

After doing the steps in this link [Solved] FPGA boot loader recovery - MKRVIDOR4000 - Arduino Forum I am able to use the VidorTestSketch that uses the VidorPeripherals.h lib. This sketch uses the fpga to blink a pin with the Samd telling the fpga to change the state of a pin and then read it back with the samd.

I changed to code to just toggle the fpga pin under the control of the samd and get a 512Hz square wave...

void loop() {
// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

FPGA.digitalWrite(33, HIGH);

FPGA.digitalWrite(33, LOW);

}

I've only tried VidorTestSketch and VidorDrawLogo.

VidorTestSketch does what is expected:

Vidor bitstream version: 1020107
number of devices 9
1 01000000 MB_DEV_SF
1 02000000 MB_DEV_GPIO
4 04000000 MB_DEV_I2C
6 05000000 MB_DEV_SPI
8 06000000 MB_DEV_UART
1 08000000 MB_DEV_SDRAM
4 09000000 MB_DEV_NP
11 0A000000 MB_DEV_ENC
0 0B000000 MB_DEV_REG
Pin A0 is HIGH
Pin A0 is LOW

VidorDrawLogo does not work, even with the new version from the app.

riccardo_giacomazzi:
I've only tried VidorTestSketch and VidorDrawLogo.

VidorTestSketch does what is expected:

Vidor bitstream version: 1020107

number of devices 9
1 01000000 MB_DEV_SF
1 02000000 MB_DEV_GPIO
4 04000000 MB_DEV_I2C
6 05000000 MB_DEV_SPI
8 06000000 MB_DEV_UART
1 08000000 MB_DEV_SDRAM
4 09000000 MB_DEV_NP
11 0A000000 MB_DEV_ENC
0 0B000000 MB_DEV_REG
Pin A0 is HIGH
Pin A0 is LOW

VidorDrawLogo does not work, even with the new version from the app.

The sketch fails. It doesn't write the word "test" through the FPGA's uart ip.

Hi Everyone,

There was some issues with the bitstream provided in the original VidorGraphics library. We've pushed an updated version to Github: GitHub - vidor-libraries/VidorGraphics: VidorGraphics "fat" library repository - for issues/PR refer to

Please re-download the library and add to your sketchbook to get the fixes.

mphillips53:
The sketch fails. It doesn't write the word "test" through the FPGA's uart ip.

I do not know on what pin the SerialFPGA1 is connected, however it can not send data to the serial emulated by USB from the MCU: I do not expect to read anything on the screen.

SerialFPGA ports are mapped to MKR pins. in order to see something on the USB terminal you should use Serial as in the examples.

DarioPennisi:
SerialFPGA ports are mapped to MKR pins. in order to see something on the USB terminal you should use Serial as in the examples.

The example shows only sending the string "test" on the serial, if there is nothing connected to the MKR pins, the message is simply lost, so I do not expect to see anything on the screen.

// Same for Serial interfaces :)
  SerialFPGA1.begin(115200);
  while (!SerialFPGA1);
  SerialFPGA1.println("test");

riccardo_giacomazzi:
The example shows only sending the string "test" on the serial, if there is nothing connected to the MKR pins, the message is simply lost, so I do not expect to see anything on the screen.

yes Riccardo, we're saying the same thing :wink:

I'm having problems uploading to my new mkr 4000 vidor.

I'm not using the FPGA yet just the simple blink sketch.

My PC is running windows 7x64.

The same installation runs the blink sketch OK on a Uno but the vidor just hangs during the upload.

Is this a known problem?

Just to confuse things when I tried this yesterday it worked (once out of many tries) and my modified blink sketch is now running in the vidor. Although i cant upload another So that makes me think that my install should be good

Bob

bobdring:
Is this a known problem?

I'm not experienced with the Vidor 4000 but there was a problem with the original bootloader, which might cause upload problems. See the bootloader part of the release notes for Arduino SAMD Beta Boards 1.6.23:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=563513

Also, on Windows likely you have to enter bootloader by double pressing button... Red LED should started pulsing and in that situation you should be able to upload the sketch.

Firstly, thanks to pert and DarioPennisi for taking the time to read and answer my post.

recapping the problem

The PC OS is windows 7 Pro x64
The arduino IDE is 1.8.5
The arduino core is MKR400 1.6.23

The problem Compile of the 'blink' sketch for the Vidor works but the upload of the sketch hangs.
Using the same environment on the Arduino UNO is successful. so the installation looks good

setup:
start adruino IDE
load blink sketch
connect MKR Vidor (it will probably already have a factory blink sketch in it)
under tools, board. set the board to 'arduino mkr Vidor 4000'
under tools, port. you should see a new COM port. mine says. COM22 arduino mkr vidor 4000

If at this stage you you compile and upload, the upload part will probably hang.
and after a really long time 15 minutes? it will give a com port error.

The fix... thanks to pert and DarioPennisi

Before starting the compile. press the Vidor blue button twice
the LED on the Vidor now 'pulses' going from off to on gradually and repeating slowly.
Check the tools, port again and see the port has now changed. Mine to COM23 arduino mkr vidor 4000

Compile and upload and it will now work

I hope this helps someone with the same problem

Bob