Stepper motor (42BYGHW609) with L298N runs 10 sec.. and then starts failing

Hey everybody,

I'm trying to connect my Arduino, a stepper motor (42BYGHW609) through a L298N motor driver and a power supply(12 V, 5A)

It works for 10-15 seconds and then starts failing also my motor driver gets very hot.
Measured current ( red wire of the power supply and 12V input of the motor driver) is 3,2A and at the moment I switch the direction it even got a peak of 5A.

What's the exact problem and how can fix this?
I hope someone can help me!

Thanks in advance

You need a modern motor driver for that motor.

There are no step motor drivers on the conventional hobby market that can handle the full 1.7 amperes per winding, but if you will settle for less than the maximum torque, use the Pololu DRV8825 module.

With the DRV8825, be sure to carefully follow directions to set the current limit to less than 1.5 amperes.

Is this the motor

That motor has a coil resistance of 1.5Ohms. If you feed it with 12v it will draw 12/1.5 = 8 amps so it will overheat and the smoke will escape. That is why you MUST use a specialized stepper driver that is capable of limiting the current to protect the motor.

The TB6560 stepper driver is supposed to handle up to 3 amps - but I have no experience of them myself.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

Hi Robin,

I hope you can help me a little bit more. I'm making a test setup for a automatic blast (2 bar) cleaning machine. So I already have a car with for skate wheels and a nozzle on top. Now I want roll it back and forth with the motor.

In your reply your talking about a TB6560. I've also read your topic about basic stepper motors where you're talking about Stepstick DRV8825 and A4988. Are all of these possible in my case and what are the pros and cons of them? I have zero knowledge about all of this, but a need it for my test setup as product designer.

You have chosen a 1.7 amp stepper motor and that is just a little too much current for the DRV8825 (which is a bit more capable than the A4988). If, as @jremington said, you are content to operate the motor below its max torque then you could use the DRV8825. But if you want the full torque then you need a driver that can comfortably provide 1.7 amps. I think (but do not know) that the TB6560 could do that. If not then you will need a much more expensive industrial stepper driver - Gecko are the brand leader and Leadshine is another cheaper brand.

I can't envisage your project from your description. Maybe you can post a drawing of it? Image Guide

I can't even figure the role you envisage for the stepper motor.

...R

I've had good results with this driver and a 2 Amp motor and AccelStepper library:
http://www.mpja.com/Stepmotor-Driver-3A-Max-TB6560/productinfo/31306+MS/