multi colour analog led strip lights

Hi all,

I am looking into my options for controlling 3 colour LED strip lights. they are 12v and pull max 2amp per colour per 5mtr. I would like to be able to program each set of light to do a different thing, and maybe in time to music.

Some questions I have already come up with are.

has some one do something similar?

I found this Overview | RGB LED Strips | Adafruit Learning System can this be used to do what I want?

Can one Arduino handle that much power or do I have to use relays? If relays are required can the Arduino outputs switch relays?

if you need more info to help me please let me know.

thanks

David

can this be used to do what I want?

You didn't mention whether you want control over each LED independently, or not, so it's not possible to answer this question.

Can one Arduino handle that much power or do I have to use relays?

No and no. Notice down the right side of the page are the components used in the project, including the LED strips and MOSFETS. The MOSFET is turned on and off by the Arduino. It switches the large amount of current that the LEDs need. Like a relay, but much faster, quieter, and cheaper.

If relays are required can the Arduino outputs switch relays?

They aren't, but if they were the answer is "it depends". Typically, no, the Arduino toggles a transistor which toggles the relay.

PaulS:

can this be used to do what I want?

You didn't mention whether you want control over each LED independently, or not, so it's not possible to answer this question.

I understand each light can not be independent, I want each strip independent.

Can one Arduino handle that much power or do I have to use relays?

No and no. Notice down the right side of the page are the components used in the project, including the LED strips and MOSFETS. The MOSFET is turned on and off by the Arduino. It switches the large amount of current that the LEDs need. Like a relay, but much faster, quieter, and cheaper.[/quote]

thanks for that, Once i started to read waht your wrote I facepalmed... simple idea that I forgot about

If relays are required can the Arduino outputs switch relays?

They aren't, but if they were the answer is "it depends". Typically, no, the Arduino toggles a transistor which toggles the relay.
[/quote]

thanks for the help so far!