Next version of IDE and other ICs

Do we know when the next version of the IDE will be out and do we know if there is going to be support for more ATmel chips like the 664 and 1284 ?

Didn't IDE V1 just come out? Or was that a Beta release?
My IDE is currently hosed from my hamhanded attempts to fix things after doing some sanguino changes, and windows/vista hiding things in specific user files or some nonsense - need to delete everything and start clean. Had worked really well with -0021 for a long time before that too...

CrossRoads:
Didn't IDE V1 just come out? Or was that a Beta release?
My IDE is currently hosed from my hamhanded attempts to fix things after doing some sanguino changes, and windows/vista hiding things in specific user files or some nonsense - need to delete everything and start clean. Had worked really well with -0021 for a long time before that too...

Arduino-1.0 Beta. I believe that lots of the planned improvements have yet to be implemented.

Lefty

cowasaki:
Do we know when the next version of the IDE will be out and do we know if there is going to be support for more ATmel chips like the 664 and 1284 ?

I'm of the opinion that the official Arduino IDE will never ship with built-in support for processors other then those processors that are used in boards that the Arduino firm sells. The sanguino and it's modified 'core files' came out around verison 11 of the IDE and has yet to be included as of version 22.

They have however placed 'hooks' so that 3rd parties can put 'custom' core files into a folder named hardware in the users sketch folder (same method that allows user contributive libraries to be found if put into a libraries folder) so that when compilying a sketch the IDE will replace the normal core files with the 'custom' core files. That would still leave popular contributive library files possibly needing updating to support non-standard arduino processor types.

All in all, it's a bigger job then one might think when wishing to make the arduino platform fully support non-standard arduino AVR chips. A lot also depends on what arduino functions one wants or needs to use in their sketches.

Lefty

I don't know how non-standard the 1284 vs 1280 vs 2560 is.
2 serial port vs 4, similar (same?) amount of memory in 1280/1284, lower # of IO ports.
Seems like a no-brainer to include something between the 28 pin dip and the 100 pin QFPs.

CrossRoads:
I don't know how non-standard the 1284 vs 1280 vs 2560 is.
2 serial port vs 4, similar (same?) amount of memory in 1280/1284, lower # of IO ports.
Seems like a no-brainer to include something between the 28 pin dip and the 100 pin QFPs.

I was using the term non-standard meaning processors not used in any 'offical' arduino board. I'm also not saying that the changes needed for direct support for the 644p and 1284p would be all that difficult, just that it won't be happening as part of the standard arduino disturbution. I would love to be proved wrong. I was once before. :wink:

Lefty

My copy of Arduino0022 has a couple of bugs. The HELP pull down does not give version id.

1. The Print command does not work.
  2. Sometimes (I have not been able to figure when) the FILE pull down has no SAVE or SAVE AS. I thought it might have become automatic until my PC crashed and I lost everything that I did for the last week.
  3. Arduino0022 seems to have a difficult time finding the USB port that is connected to my Nano. I have to keep updating the driver.

All this is either my error or actual bugs. Where is the record of reported issues?

Ken

Where is the record of reported issues?

On Google Code: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

WOW!!! Is there someone or some organization trying to sort through all this and create a BETA? All I want is a normal IDE editor for an Arduino Nano.

I have been using -0021 for quite a while. Seems to be pretty stable. I would go back to that while this other stuff plays out.

trying to sort through all this

You mean, fix everything at once?
Hah hah, that's funny! And not the way things work. There are so many clamorings for features, and so much of Arduino that comes from other places (processing, java, gcc, avrdude, etc) that just keeping track of where which bugs OUGHT to be fixed is difficult. (for example, you haven't told us which operating system you're using. Is your Java run time environment up-to-date?)

I am brand new to Arduino. I did not even know about 0021 until I read your reply. Is going back a version fairly (considering) easy?

Yeah, you just unzip it all into c:\program files\Arduino-0021 folder and run from there.
Things like the FTDI driver don't change.

kenjones1935:
I am brand new to Arduino. I did not even know about 0021 until I read your reply. Is going back a version fairly (considering) easy?

Sure, you can have multiple version avalible in your PC, see my folder below. I really need to start deleting some version some day. :smiley:

C:\Documents and Settings\Primary Windows User\My Documents\My Programs\Arduino

5 Folders:

arduino-0018
arduino-0019
arduino-0021
arduino-0022
arduino-1.0-beta1

0 Files:

Lefty

retrolefty:

kenjones1935:

Sure, you can have multiple version avalible in your PC, see my folder below. I really need to start deleting some version some day. :smiley:

C:\Documents and Settings\Primary Windows User\My Documents\My Programs\Arduino

5 Folders:

arduino-0018
arduino-0019
arduino-0021
arduino-0022
arduino-1.0-beta1

0 Files:

Lefty

I am going to have to have a look for the beta version tomorrow then. I'm off to sleep now!