Wavgat Arduino Uno R3 on Mac OS: the definitive guide

Getting an Wavgat Arduino Uno R3 to work on Mac OS was a challenging adventure, mainly because of poor documentation. Here is my definitive guide, current as of 2018-10-08.

• This is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
  • The Arduino is a Wavgat Arduino Uno R3 (like this)

I'm attaching to this guide a bunch of files that are distributed all over the net. You can get them from the original links in the post, or use the versions that I attached here.

1. Install the Arduino IDE

Get the Arduino IDE from arduino.cc
Do not use the Web Editor; you need the IDE because we need to manually add configuration for the Wavgat.

After unzipping the file, copy it to "Applications". The remainder of this post assumes that this is where the IDE is located.

When you start the IDE, at this step, it will likely not see the Wavgat in the "Ports" menu. This is expected, and will be fixed in the next step.

2. Install CH340G drivers

Wavgat uses a non-standard USB chip called CH340G. It requires you to install drivers.
You can get these from adrianmihalko's GitHub repo.

As of this writing, you need the CH34x_Install_V1.4.pkg version. Download it, open, follow the installer steps, and reboot your computer.

After rebooting, You might need to unblock the driver. Check the section "Security and Privacy" in System Preferences for any notices about blocked software.

Now, you should see the Wavgat in /dev when you connect it:

ls -l /dev/*usb*
  crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   21,  15 Oct  8 23:11 /dev/cu.wchusbserial1410
  crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   21,  14 Oct  8 23:08 /dev/tty.wchusbserial1410

However, when you launch a Sketch in the IDE, you will probably encounter the following error message:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
  avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

This is again expected, and will be fixed in the next step.

3. Install Wavgat's configuration files

Download the configuration files. I recommend that you use the wavgate-ide-update.zip archive attached to this guide, because the files in there have already been patched (and so you don't need step 4 below). However, you can also get the configuration from this obscure .rar file on Drive. More details in this post for Windows

Uncompress the archive. You should see a folder that looks roughly like this:

update
├── hardware
│   ├── WAV
│   │   └── avr
│   │       ├── boards.txt
│   │       ├── platform.txt
│   │       ├── programmers.txt
│   │       └── ...
│   └── WAV8F
│       ├── boards.txt
│       ├── bootloaders
│       ├── platform.txt
│       ├── programmers.txt
│       └── ...
└── libraries
    ├── E2PROM
    ├── PMU
    └── ...

All this content needs to go into the IDE's installation folder. Close the IDE. Then copy the content like this:

cp -r ~/Downloads/update/* /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java

For example, the update/hardware/WAV8F/platform.txt needs to end up in /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/WAV8F/platform.txt.

Now start the IDE again. You should see new boards under "Tools > Boards". Select "WAVGAT UNO R3".
As Port, select "/dev/cu.wchusbserial1410" or similar.

Now, you can load the blink demo and run "Upload". If all goes well, this should actually work and lead to a LED that blinks (on for one second, off for one second). In the IDE message window, you should see messages like "Done uploading", "avrdude: 1244 bytes of flash verified", and "avrdude done. Thank you."

4. Fix error messages and warnings

This step is optional, and only needed if you did not use the wavgate-ide-update.zip config files. The current setup still creates a number of warnings when flashing a Sketch. Especially if you have turned on "Show verbose output during compilation / upload" and "Compiler warnings: all" in the IDE preferences. You can fix some of these by making the changes below.

In the files listed below, replace the line marked with - by the line marked with +:

To change a warning about missing bootloader files, change the path separator from \ to /.

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/WAV/avr/boards.txt
@@ -14,7 +14,7 @@
 lardu_328p.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
 lardu_328p.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x07
 lardu_328p.bootloader.path=lgt8fx8p
-lardu_328p.bootloader.file=lgt8fx8p\optiboot_lgt8f328p.hex
+lardu_328p.bootloader.file=lgt8fx8p/optiboot_lgt8f328p.hex
 lardu_328p.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3f
 lardu_328p.bootloader.lock_bits=0x3f
 lardu_328p.build.mcu=atmega328p

The following removes a few compiler warnings:

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/WAV/avr/cores/lgt8f/HardwareSerial.cpp
@@ -89,7 +89,7 @@

inline void store_char(unsigned char c, ring_buffer *buffer)
 {
-  int i = (unsigned int)(buffer->head + 1) % SERIAL_BUFFER_SIZE;
+  unsigned int i = (unsigned int)(buffer->head + 1) % SERIAL_BUFFER_SIZE;

// if we should be storing the received character into the location
   // just before the tail (meaning that the head would advance to the
@@ -365,7 +365,6 @@
 void HardwareSerial::begin(unsigned long baud, byte config)
 {
   uint16_t baud_setting;
-  uint8_t current_config;
   bool use_u2x = true;

#if F_CPU == 16000000UL
@@ -459,7 +458,7 @@

size_t HardwareSerial::write(uint8_t c)
 {
-  int i = (_tx_buffer->head + 1) % SERIAL_BUFFER_SIZE;
+  unsigned int i = (_tx_buffer->head + 1) % SERIAL_BUFFER_SIZE;

// If the output buffer is full, there's nothing for it other than to 
   // wait for the interrupt handler to empty it a bit

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/WAV/avr/cores/lgt8f/avr-libc/malloc.c
@@ -63,7 +63,7 @@
 void *
 malloc(size_t len)
 {
-	struct __freelist *fp1, *fp2, *sfp1, *sfp2;
+	struct __freelist *fp1 = NULL, *fp2 = NULL, *sfp1 = NULL, *sfp2 = NULL;
 	char *cp;
 	size_t s, avail;

This change removes warnings about "deprecated recipe.ar.pattern":

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/WAV/avr/platform.txt
@@ -63,7 +63,7 @@
 recipe.S.o.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.c.cmd}" {compiler.S.flags} -mmcu={build.mcu} -DF_CPU={build.f_cpu} -DARDUINO={runtime.ide.version} -DARDUINO_{build.board} -DARDUINO_ARCH_{build.arch} {compiler.S.extra_flags} {build.extra_flags} {includes} "{source_file}" -o "{object_file}"

## Create archives
-recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}"
+recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}"

## Combine gc-sections, archives, and objects
 recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.c.elf.cmd}" {compiler.c.elf.flags} -mmcu={build.mcu} {compiler.c.elf.extra_flags} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" {object_files} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "-L{build.path}" -lm

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/WAV8F/platform.txt
@@ -63,7 +63,7 @@
 recipe.S.o.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.c.cmd}" {compiler.S.flags} -mmcu={build.mcu} -DF_CPU={build.f_cpu} -DARDUINO={runtime.ide.version} -DARDUINO_{build.board} -DARDUINO_ARCH_{build.arch} {compiler.S.extra_flags} {build.extra_flags} {includes} "{source_file}" -o "{object_file}"

## Create archives
-recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}"
+recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}"

## Combine gc-sections, archives, and objects
 recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.c.elf.cmd}" {compiler.c.elf.flags} -mmcu={build.mcu} {compiler.c.elf.extra_flags} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" {object_files} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "-L{build.path}" -lm

5. Have fun and profit

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

wavgate-ide-update.zip (950 KB)

Hi Sjlver, Your post is a great help and got me working. I am adding this to your thread to assist others and save them a bit of time.

I think the Arduino IDE has been updated so your file is now a bit out of date as I had issues compiling FastLed libraries. I found the following after I had manually updated arduino.h:

https://www.electrodragon.com/w/File:Larduino_HSP_v3.6c.zip

Which seems to have all the changes that stopped the compiler. It may still need your manual changes for those who are stuck. I got some compiler errors with automatic type casting. I sorted that by copying the latest platform.txt file from the AVR folder to the Larduino folder overwriting the one supplied in your .zip file.

This website:

https://www.electrodragon.com/w/Logicgreen

Has a significant library of resources including a translated datasheet for the CPU.

To be honest, I think it is a more feature rich processor than the AT Mega 328 and it can run at 32MHz on the internal oscillator. My clones came with 12Mhz crystals but the default is to run on the internal oscillator/2 so you can't tell without forcing the software to use the external oscillator.

You can't program the WAVGAT Nano with a USBASP (I tried) as the 6 pin header does not connect to the correct pins, and if they did I don't think the chip was designed with this in mind.

This link shows how to do it if you don't want to use the bootloader:

https://www.geek-workshop.com/thread-26461-1-1.html

Thanks again for the great post.

That worked great - I ordered 2 of these weird Wavgat Uno R3 boards from Aliexpress to use embedded in random projects (they were cheap ~ 3$ shipped) but I couldn't get them to work till I got to this page.

Seem to work fine now...I can now embed them in my lighting and other projects around the house.

I have since discovered that MCU (ESP8266 or ESP32) boards are more powerful, have Wifi/Bluetooth built-in and have a ton more features than AVR328 or Mega2560s - I might migrate my projects to the NodeMCU world (but those still use the Arduino IDE so this is still the correct forum for those).

Sjlver:
Getting an Wavgat Arduino Uno R3 to work on Mac OS was a challenging adventure, mainly because of poor documentation. Here is my definitive guide, current as of 2018-10-08.

• This is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
  • The Arduino is a Wavgat Arduino Uno R3 (like this)

I'm attaching to this guide a bunch of files that are distributed all over the net. You can get them from the original links in the post, or use the versions that I attached here.

1. Install the Arduino IDE

Get the Arduino IDE from arduino.cc
Do not use the Web Editor; you need the IDE because we need to manually add configuration for the Wavgat.

After unzipping the file, copy it to "Applications". The remainder of this post assumes that this is where the IDE is located.

When you start the IDE, at this step, it will likely not see the Wavgat in the "Ports" menu. This is expected, and will be fixed in the next step.

2. Install CH340G drivers

Wavgat uses a non-standard USB chip called CH340G. It requires you to install drivers.
You can get these from adrianmihalko's GitHub repo.

As of this writing, you need the CH34x_Install_V1.4.pkg version. Download it, open, follow the installer steps, and reboot your computer.

After rebooting, You might need to unblock the driver. Check the section "Security and Privacy" in System Preferences for any notices about blocked software.

Now, you should see the Wavgat in /dev when you connect it:

ls -l /dev/*usb*

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   21,  15 Oct  8 23:11 /dev/cu.wchusbserial1410
 crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   21,  14 Oct  8 23:08 /dev/tty.wchusbserial1410

However, when you launch a Sketch in the IDE, you will probably encounter the following error message:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
 avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

This is again expected, and will be fixed in the next step.

**3. Install Wavgat's configuration files**

Download the configuration files. I recommend that you use the `wavgate-ide-update.zip` archive attached to this guide, because the files in there have already been patched (and so you don't need step 4 below). However, you can also get the configuration from [this obscure `.rar` file on Drive](https://drive.google.com/open?id=10gwrG9uTDwaEO-7EudsmBkfgdcyrcABI). More details in this [post for Windows](https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=560692.0)

Uncompress the archive. You should see a folder that looks roughly like this:

update
├── hardware
│   ├── WAV
│   │   └── avr
│   │       ├── boards.txt
│   │       ├── platform.txt
│   │       ├── programmers.txt
│   │       └── ...
│   └── WAV8F
│       ├── boards.txt
│       ├── bootloaders
│       ├── platform.txt
│       ├── programmers.txt
│       └── ...
└── libraries
   ├── E2PROM
   ├── PMU
   └── ...

All this content needs to go into the IDE's installation folder. Close the IDE. Then copy the content like this:

cp -r ~/Downloads/update/* /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java

For example, the `update/hardware/WAV8F/platform.txt` needs to end up in `/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/WAV8F/platform.txt`.

Now start the IDE again. You should see new boards under "Tools > Boards". Select "WAVGAT UNO R3".
As Port, select "/dev/cu.wchusbserial1410" or similar.

Now, you can load the blink demo and run "Upload". If all goes well, this should actually work and lead to a LED that blinks (on for one second, off for one second). In the IDE message window, you should see messages like "Done uploading", "avrdude: 1244 bytes of flash verified", and "avrdude done. Thank you."