Go Down

Topic: Can anyone solve this problem with uploading JPG for post? (Read 144 times) previous topic - next topic

lemming

I'm getting the message, "Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator." when I try to post an image with my post. The text is uploaded OK but the image (36.4kb) does not and this error message is displayed. I have sent PMs to both C Maglie and Nick Gammon (forum administrators) but have not received a reply.
Can anyone help me out?  (my post without the supporting image is meaningless)

Robin2

I have had that problem with pictures from my camera. I suspect it may be because the JPG has Exif data. If you convert the image to a PNG the problem will almost certainly go away.

And if you convert the PNG back to a different JPG you will probably be able to use the JPG also :)

This  Image Guide may be of interest.

...R
PS. posting here is the right thing to do. PMs to volunteer moderators will not be appreciated.
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

lemming

Thanks Robin2,

That did the trick!

PS. posting here is the right thing to do. PMs to volunteer moderators will not be appreciated.
If that is the case, then they should not have the website display the message "...Please consult the forum administrator".

The "Attach" section of a new post  should not just have the, "Allowed file types: doc, gif, jpg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip, c, h, cpp, ino, pde. Restrictions: maximum total size 1 MB, maximum individual size 1 MB", but should also add that no files can have Exif data embedded. It had me stumped as most would be.

PaulS

If that is the case, then they should not have the website display the message "...Please consult the forum administrator".
Moderators are NOT forum administrators.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

pert

I suppose the forum administrator would be the webmaster.
From https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ContactUs:
For any feedback or reporting an issue with the website please email webmaster (at) arduino.cc
for future reference, since I think this problem has already been resolved.

The "Attach" section of a new post  should not just have the, "Allowed file types: doc, gif, jpg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip, c, h, cpp, ino, pde. Restrictions: maximum total size 1 MB, maximum individual size 1 MB", but should also add that no files can have Exif data embedded. It had me stumped as most would be.
I think that's a good suggestion. I know this problem has come up in the past and people have spent a bunch of time trying to embed images unsuccessfully. The best place to report the suggestion is here:
https://github.com/arduino/forum-issues/issues/new

Robin2

but should also add that no files can have Exif data embedded.
I do NOT know if that is the actual problem - it is just my poorly informed guess.

...R

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

@ Robin

Also had that same message when the file was too large. (No idea why)
Using AcdSee I simply re-sized (that keeps most of the xif data BTW) and then it went through.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Coding Badly

Nov 14, 2017, 09:30 pm Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017, 09:31 pm by Coding Badly
I suspect it may be because the JPG has Exif data.
Correct.  Location Exif data (e.g. longitude + latitude) for certain.  I suspect personal data (e.g. human name) is also a problem.

The Exif data can include enough detail to know the rough location within the room within the building.  Unless that location is a studio / business and you are professional photographer it is a good idea to always strip that data before publishing to the world.

To get the moderators' attention please use Report to moderator.

travis_farmer

To get the moderators' attention please use Report to moderator.
i always got good results by waving and jumping up and down. ;)

~Travis
Current Obsession: My server rack cooler, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own under-used forum on my hobby server.

Go Up