WIKIPEDIA FOR COMMON ARDUINO PROBLEMS

Are you volunteering to specifically address the same problems people are having time after time on the playground?

Please stop saying "a wikipedia;" it's terrible grammar.

Obviously, it would be to the advantage of the people making the same-old posts repeatly
to write the material.

I'm just using Wikipedia as an example of something good to emulate. Got a name?

oric_dan(333):

Are you volunteering to specifically address the same problems people are having time after time on the playground?

Please stop saying "a wikipedia;" it's terrible grammar.

Obviously, it would be to the advantage of the people making the same-old posts repeatly
to write the material.

I'm just using Wikipedia as an example of something good to emulate. Got a name?

WikiArduinopedia, rolls right off the old tongue don't it? :wink:

oric_dan(333):

Yes. Playground. :slight_smile:

Your user/password from the forum works there. If you go to anywhere on that wiki, and see something that is incomplete and leave it that way, that is YOUR FAULT!

I don't know about the rest of the same-old people, but I got tired of posting the same-old ethernet stuff over and over, so I added the code to the playground (wiki).
Arduino Playground - WebClient
Arduino Playground - WebServerST
Arduino Playground - FTP
If my experience is any indication of the effectiveness, the ethernet questions posted in the networking section has dropped way off. Maybe that is just coincidence?

That's what I was talking about. As mentioned, the problem with the Playground is, it's not well-
organized for finding things. Eg, if I printed the Interfacing with Hardware main page, it would
take 54 sheets of paper. I usually use the Find menu on my browser to find anything on that
page. It would take me some time just to locate your 3 pages referenced here.

Also, most of the links on Playground are links to other websites and specific projects. Maybe all
that would be needed is to reorganize the Playground idea to include a section on Forum
troubleshooting posts.

You can do that. Your user/password from here works there.

I entered "web client" in the search, and it was the first listing. It is under "User Code Library - Snippets and Sketches - Ethernet Shield". That seems pretty organized.

By the way, anyone know how to upload "Blink" to a Leonardo?

I posted a question about my Mega R3 problem on the Installation and Troubleshooting section
a couple of days ago, and didn't get even one response.

WikiArduinopedia, rolls right off the old tongue don't it?

Now, here's a guy who's made repeated posts about 12,000 times.

I entered "web client" in the search, and it was the first listing. It is under "User Code Library - Snippets and Sketches - Ethernet Shield". That seems pretty organized.

Yeah, that worked, although not exactly an example of direct organization.

So why doesn't everyone use Playground for that purpose?

oric_dan(333):
So why doesn't everyone use Playground for that purpose?

I don't know why. They should. It is there for that purpose, as far as I can tell. I use it, but only for the field in which I am well qualified. I know ethernet.

oric_dan(333):

WikiArduinopedia, rolls right off the old tongue don't it?

Now, here's a guy who's made repeated posts about 12,000 times.

But only posted about the word WikiArduinopedia twice now. :wink:

Seriously I think the majority of raw inexperianced beginners coming here asking something about their brand new arduino board and problems they are having will always prefer the more personal touch of a 'tailored' response. Heck many don't even know what to actually ask other then what could cause the symptom they are seeing. Telling them to RTFM or check out the stickies, or it's in the arduino playground somewhere is probably not their first choice of help they are looking for.

The usefulness of a good troubleshooting, or getting started, or tips and hints wiki could be a very effective tool for the arduino community to have at their disposal. But based on what I've seen of the quality and usefulness of the Arduino playground, I still think it would be a hard project to develop and maintain long term to any decent level of quality. So much changes quickly in the Arduino hardware and software world that archived data ages rather poorly. But that's not to discourage anyone taking a lead in trying to do it.

As far as the personal burden for posters responding to repeated posting to new people for old known problems or solutions, I think if it was actually a burden then they wouldn't be doing it would they? No one is paid here to post or even moderate the forum and we all use the site as we wish. So I'm not quite sure what problem you are actually trying to solve? I reserve the right to determine what is or is not a personal burden to myself. :wink:

Lefty

I reserve the right to determine what is or is not a personal burden to myself.

Sheesh, you're an awfully tough guy to please.

oric_dan(333):

I reserve the right to determine what is or is not a personal burden to myself.

Sheesh, you're an awfully tough guy to please.

Well if you would come mow my lawn for free, I might soften up a little, but only a little.

Lefty

Bad dog, don't cross post!

Don't feel bad, I just bought a Leonardo today, after installing the innumerable drivers, tried to upload "Blink", but it failed at the last stage saying couldn't find the serial port.

I plugged my Lenny in, and Win7/64bit did what it was supposed to, and installed the drivers. I was able to upload a sketch first try, reading from Serial1, with XBee attached, and writing to Serial.

What OS are you using?

PaulS:
What OS are you using?

Win XP, sp 3. I just tried it again, and this time it found the correct com port. So it only seems to fail sometimes, depending on the ambient temperature and phase of the moon, or something.

But if I have continuing problems, I'll start another thread, rather than hijack this one. Thanks for your response, but my question in the context of this thread was rhetorical, intended as a clever ironic device. But I've found that doesn't work every time, either.

I've found that doesn't work every time, either.

It almost never works for me.

PaulS:

I've found that doesn't work every time, either.

It almost never works for me.

That's because your humour flies over most of our heads, much like many of your serious answers to questions. You really expect us to be able to tell the difference? ]:smiley:

Lefty

But if I have continuing problems, I'll start another thread, rather than hijack this one.

Too late, that horse is dead, the bird has flown, the Arduino Wikipedia idea has been throttled
repreatedly, and we're back to endlessly answering the some-old questions. At least I got
my Mega R3 board installed and running now.

Too late, that horse is dead, the bird has flown, the Arduino Wikipedia idea has been throttled
repreatedly, and we're back to endlessly answering the some-old questions. At least I got

I just added my fourth article in the playground.
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/Email

For those who did not understand my earlier post, let me put it in a way programmers will understand.

char Playground[] = "wiki";

SurferTim:

I just added my fourth article in the playground.
Arduino Playground - Email

For those who did not understand my earlier post, let me put it in a way programmers will understand.

char Playground[] = "wiki";

What about

class Playground : Wiki {
public:
  static const bool isOnArduinoSite = true;
// don't need to override anything else
};