Go Down

Topic: how to power big easy driver - stepper motor (Read 146 times) previous topic - next topic

Ziayakens

I am attempting to run a stepper motor using the big easy driver from sparkfun. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12859

The driver says to use a power source between 8 and 35V, that can supply up to 2 amps. Running to code to make the motor move is not the issue. I am unsure if how I am powering is correct or not. I ran code to make the motor continuously spin.

When using the driver with output 0-60W. (smaller one with the silver label) after about 5 minutes it begins warming up. I have a little more trouble understanding what the amps are coming from the transformer into the big easy driver. if it pulls 60W at 12V the amps are above 2.

When using the other transformer, it heats up about the same.

I understand that the big easy driver will supply up to two amps depending on what the motor pulls, but I am unsure of exactly how to power the big easy driver. Does the input amps need to be less than 2amps, exactly 2, or can higher amps work when powering the big easy driver. Are my power sources okay?, and its normal for the motor to heat up, and if so, what is the recommended length of time to run the motor for before damaging it? ( including holding it position, moving, or not sending power to the motor(if not sending power is possible)

Below are two pics of the two drivers I have tried.

Robin2

Does the input amps need to be less than 2amps, exactly 2, or can higher amps work when powering the big easy driver.
You will only have a problem if you don't have enough amps. If the power supply can provide extra amps the device consuming power will just take what it requires. If your power supply cannot provide enough amps the power supply will be overloaded and may be damaged.

What is important is to have the correct voltage - anything in the range 8 to 35v will be OK. BUT --- you MUST set the current limit on the Easydriver to the max permitted for your motor otherwise your motor may be damaged. An the correct current limit must be set regardless of what power supply you are using.

As you have not posted a link to the datasheet for your motor I have no idea what that current limit should be.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Ziayakens

Ok yes that makes sense. Thank you. I included an image of the data sheet for the motor I'm using as well. If the image is too small the link is
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13656

Robin2

That motor requires 2 amps and I don't think you will get that from the A4988 on a BigEasydriver  - it will probably overheat at about 1.2 amps. I have no experience of them but the TB6560 is supposed to be able to provide 3 amps so I reckon it should be good for 2.

Otherwise you will need to get a much more expensive industrial stepper driver.

OR ... maybe you don't need the full torque of the motor and it might work OK with a lower max current, or you could get a motor with a lower current requirement.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up