Do you need an external antenna for the Yun Shield wifi?

So I've looked all over and I can't determine whether the Yun Shield needs an external antenna. From building FPV Drones, I know that powering a transmitter without an antenna can potentially destroy the transmitter, so I don't want to do anything with it until I can get a solid answer to this question.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Shield Wifi module is probably 8devices Carambola 2

I haven't seen any warnings or notes about using the module without an external antenna. My Yun Shield has been running for a few days now without apparent issues (stability, heat, connectivity) without an antenna.

• K

The yun shield is actually a yun in another format.
The yun runs fine without a antenna.
So do my yun shields.
However I fear drones have a bigger range then wifi. Are you sure this is the correct technology?
Best regards
Jantje

machman2823:
So I've looked all over and I can't determine whether the Yun Shield needs an external antenna. From building FPV Drones, I know that powering a transmitter without an antenna can potentially destroy the transmitter, so I don't want to do anything with it until I can get a solid answer to this question.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have had a Yun Shield running on an Arduino Mega 2560 for about 15 days with no problems. I had the same thought as well. I did quite a bit of searching and it appears that if no external antenna is used, the Yun uses its internal antenna. If an external antenna is used, the antenna with the best signal is selected automatically.