My initial experience with ESP8266-12E wifi module (+ UNO).

I had purchased the ESP8266-12E wifi module a few months back. Overcame laziness and finally tested it this week.

I hope my experience in basic testing helps others.

Step1:

1. There is a need to help the module sit on the bread board. I used single stranded wire to give it some tentacles. Please see pic myESP8266.jpg

2. This great article full filled the need to test if the module works

1. Everything worked finally as per the suggestions of the author. Did I face any problems?

3.a. By mistake I connected the module to 5 volts instead of 3.3 volts for almost five minutes. It survived!
3.b. By mistake I connected GPI02 pin to ground. It gave message - something like: ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:4, boot mode:(3,7)
3.c. Once corrected, everything went smooth as suggested by the author.

Step2:

1. Then I took help of this article to control LED on Arduino UNO thru mobile phone.
    Arduino Project Hub

2. Of course I used a separate 3.3 volts source to power the module.

3. I got stuck when the TCPClient application of my mobile said : "fail to connect"

4. Then I realized that my Arduino serial port says "Wifi connection is running!" but no debug info was printed.

5. So, there was a need to check step by step.

6. Ran enclosed SS1B sketch to ensure basic test passes. SS1B.txt shows screen dump of serial port of Arduino.

7. Ran enclosed SS2B sketch to ensure the main commands given by author work. SS2B.txt shows screen dump of serial port of Arduino.

8. Ran enclosed SS3B sketch to control LED on Arduino from mobile. SS3B.txt shows screen dump of serial port of Arduino.

9. Thanks to the author, everything worked as suggested. I had to do make some small changes to the code to test step by step.

My troubleshooting skills are good, but not my programming skills. So, bear with me.

SS1B.ino (1.44 KB)

SS2B.ino (1.54 KB)

SS3B.ino (3.15 KB)

SS1B.txt (1.43 KB)

SS2B.txt (1.74 KB)

SS3B.txt (1.63 KB)

Hi, awesome scripts!

Here's the output of my arduino uno connected to the wifi module:

Sent command to ESP8266-E12: ATE0
Response from ESP8266-E12:
Sent command to ESP8266-E12: AT+CWMODE=3
Sent command to ESP8266-E12: AT+CWMODE?
Sent command to ESP8266-E12: AT+CIPSTA?
Setup is done!

Do you have any ideas of why no response is printed? I also tried with with different baud rates and same response.

It was the tx/rx pins. As projecter said in original post, I had to change these to pins 2 and 3. Now I am getting some other errors and gibberish printed, but at least I can connect. Thanks for the post!

Hello, using your SS3B file, I managed to turn the LED on and off, however the messages received via WIFI are sometimes incorrect. Take the next output for example:

Msg Received = +IPD,1,6:LDDOFF
Received msg inside loop = +IPD,1,6:LDDOFF
Waiting....
Msg Received = +IPD,1,6:LEDOFF
Received msg inside loop = +IPD,1,6:LEDOFF
Wifi says : LEDOFF
Waiting....
Msg Received = +IPD,1,5:LEFON
Received msg inside loop = +IPD,1,5:LEFON
Waiting....

I had to send LEDOFF twice and then LEDON again twice from my TCP client, in order for the arduino to receive the right messagses. Do you have any ideas why? (I am pretty sure there weren't any typos when I sent the messages)

Hey machadog, I'm getting strange occasional corruption in my data too - did you ever find out why it was happening to your system ?

cheers