I cannot use Tone2.h or FrequencyTimer2.h, help please

Hello, I have recently (3 weeks ago) installed Ubuntu12.04 on my computer and so far I like it a lot. My kids Like it too. And about 2 weeks ago I purchased an Arduino UNO. Well, a couple of days ago I finally found time to hook it up and play. I did the blink tutorial and a couple more and decided to try out an 5x6 LED matrix. Problem is, all the example code I've seen has to include FrequenctTimer2.h. I have downloaded it and followed directions from 2 different sources with no luck. It says no such file or directory. I have extracted it to sketchbook/libraries, and to arduino/libraries, and it still won't work. When I go to file/import/, It doesn't show up with the other libraries,but when I go to file/sketchbook/frequencytimer2/test, it will open a test sketch, but it won't verify because "no such file or directory". I am a definite newbie to both ubuntu and arduino, but I wish to become fluent in both. I really hope someone out there can help me with this (probably user created/easily fixed) problem.

have you tried plopping it in /usr/share/arduino/libraries (which will need sudo access)