"no hang" bootloader hack

this hack will keep the Arduino from starting to bootload at the wrong times, a possible issue when using Diecimilas with Processing/MaxMSP, etc.

simply send any character (or string) that doesn't start with the number zero (ASCII hex 0x30) and it will go straight to the app

Add the following lines

/* main program starts here */
int main(void)
{
uint8_t ch,ch2;
uint16_t w;
uint8_t firstchar = 0;

/* Hello is anyone home ? /
if(ch=='0') {
firstchar = 1; // we got an appropriate bootloader instruction
nothing_response();
} else if (firstchar == 0) {
** // the first character we got is not '0', lets bail!
** app_start();**
** }**

Hmm... that's a great idea. I think you should be able to do something similar without modifying the bootloader. If you send, say, "ZZZZZ" or some other sequence of five invalid characters, I think the bootloader will start your sketch. I don't have a Diecimila here at the moment, or I'd try it. Can anyone else check if this works?

Hmm... that's a great idea. I think you should be able to do something similar without modifying the bootloader. If you send, say, "ZZZZZ" or some other sequence of five invalid characters, I think the bootloader will start your sketch. I don't have a Diecimila here at the moment, or I'd try it. Can anyone else check if this works?

yes that works too...although i'd never seen it documented anywhere!

That's because I didn't think of it until I read your post. Thanks for sparking the idea! It might be a reasonable work-around for some of the problems people have been having using PD / Processing with Arduino.