Annoying Document handling on macOS

A document based process ideally would

• be fine and running without any document open. The File menu should let you then create a document
  • let you open existing documents and should not mess around with whatever is already open
  • ensure each document has their own meta data

On the Mac when you close the last open sketch this terminates the IDE process. If your plan was just to close something and go to your next project, you're toast and need to launch again the IDE. This is painful because it takes forever to launch (which seems to go slower and slower after each version - another frustration)

Also when you have a new sketch open and you started working a bit in it, but it's unsaved yet (like you are putting together a small example for the forum and don't care about saving it) - if you try to open up another sketch it will prompt you for saving or dropping the current sketch. Why the F#ยง$!ck does it does this? (yes it annoys me every time as you can see :slight_smile: ) - I would just expect the other sketch to open in a new project and leave whatever I was working on alone...

I'd love to have Serial Ports and type of Arduino attached to a specific sketch. I've often 2 or 3 different arduinos connected to my Mac, compiling means always switching environments. Annoying (I could possibly run multiple instances but this is a poor workaround)

J-M-L:
On the Mac when you close the last open sketch this terminates the IDE process.

Same on Windows. It's not a huge annoyance for me but I do sometimes do a File > New just to keep the IDE running when I close a sketch, usually because I want to discard my unsaved changes and reload the sketch I had open since you can't open the same sketch twice via the IDE.

J-M-L:
if you try to open up another sketch it will prompt you for saving or dropping the current sketch.

That doesn't happen on Windows and would be quite annoying.

J-M-L:
I'd love to have Serial Ports and type of Arduino attached to a specific sketch.

That has been requested many times over the years but there has not been much interest from the developers in implementing it. The Arduino Web Editor does have something like this. I think the closest you could get with the real IDE is to create a shell script (is that what they call them on Mac?) that sets the board and port via the CLI and then opens the sketch that you want associated with that board and port. Since this will open each sketch in a separate instance of the IDE, you could actually have multiple sketches open with different board/port selected, which is not possible when you open sketches via the IDE, creating multiple windows of the same instance. It's kind of annoying to create a script for each sketch but after setting up the first one it will be easy enough to use it as a template for the rest.