Where has SoftwareSerial gone?

Sorry I had to pop-out to buy dinner ...

I don't do documentation unless I'm bored out of my skull. There is always something new to work on, learn, or explore.

I don't like writing documentation either. That doesn't mean that I should be satisfied with the status quo simply because it involves something I don't like doing. That doesn't seem to me an adequate criteria.

A successful strategy to handle our human imperfections is to use a 'process'.

'Process' has got a bad name, but IMHO that is because many processes I see are quite poor. This is partly because it is difficult to develop good processes. IMHO it is also because some of the people who create process are weak at developing good processes, and the objectives of the process are not well thought out (IMHO significant social institutions have been severely damaged this way, but that's an illustration of the difficulty, and not the success).

I'd use something very simple, easy to explain, understand, and do, to handle obsolescence.

IMHO the Arduino team are unusually good at developing good processes, but I am more than happy to contribute if it would help.