Bricked? Arduino doesn't transmit during upload

Hi, wondering if you guys could help me with something.

When trying to upload BareMinimum (or any sketch for that matter) I get the following upload error:

Binary sketch size: 444 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude -C/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -carduino -P/dev/ttyACM0 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/tmp/build2678442984236399312.tmp/BareMinimum.cpp.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 5.11.1, compiled on Oct 30 2011 at 10:41:10
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/thatsnail/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/ttyACM0
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done.  Thank you.

The RX LED flashes three times but the TX light does not. However, I can successfully put the Arduino into DFU mode and upload a new firmware:

~/ArduinoAtmegaFlash$ sudo dfu-programmer atmega16u2  erase
~/ArduinoAtmegaFlash$ sudo dfu-programmer atmega16u2 flash Arduino-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex 
Validating...
4034 bytes used (32.83%)
~/ArduinoAtmegaFlash$ sudo dfu-programmer atmega16u2 reset
~/ArduinoAtmegaFlash$

And after the "flash" command both the TX and RX lights come on. lsusb also recognizes that it's an Atmel chip, which leads me to believe the hardware is not faulty.

Nothing is connected to the board and it fails the loopback test.

Am I wrong? Is this a lost cause? Should I subject this Arduino to the depths of electronics afterlife, never to be seen again?

EDIT: Should mention that my other Arduino works fine; e.g. it's not a driver or cable issue.