Linear Electric Actuator + Fixed Load

Hello everybody!

I would like to move a 12 V linear electric actuator.

In particular, it would be nice to implement a control on the absorbed current so as to keep the load applied at a certain desired value.

It's possible?

Is this an actuator that can be back-driven? Usually they can't so once in position you can
just remove power.

Remember it helps to post all the details of hardware involved if asking questions about that
hardware...

The Monster Moto Shield has current feedback. However you do need to add a small capacitor of about 1uF to smooth out the variation from the PWM.

Unless it is a very special actuator there will be no relation between applied current and force. If you really need to control force then you need to measure the force with something like a strain gauge.

Good evening and sorry for the delay. The linear actuator is a common jack powered by 12 V DC then it has two wires: plus and GND. It can apply up to 150 Kg but I’d like to control by Arduino card the absorbed current so that it operates at a desired value (i.e. 100 Kg)...

Sounds like you need a current controller, but how much current? What type of motor, if it's a series wound motor, current control might not be feasible, can you provide a link to that actuator?

A common jack will have no relation between applied current and force. If you want to control force then you must measure it.

Note you can limit driving force by limiting current. This may be useful if you want it to start slowly or stop at a mechanical stop without damaging the stop.

http://bildr.org/2012/03/rfp30n06le-arduino/
Check this link, it will help you to control the current
To control the force you can use pressure sensor or a piezoelectric disc and take a feedback from them to control the force