DSLR???

Why do photojournalists seem to be having this contest to see who can get the DSLR that makes the most annoying noise when it takes a picture? Then whenever there's a news conference you can't hear anything but clickclicklciklciklciklciklciklciklciklciklciklcilclikclikclikclikclikclikclikclik and nobody can hear what anyone actually says. Like the picture is the most important part.

I know a DSLR doesn't have to be annoyingly loud. I've seen plenty that weren't.

So what's the deal?

really good microphones.

Delta_G:
I know a DSLR doesn't have to be annoyingly loud. I've seen plenty that weren't.

All self-respecting DSLR manufacturers strive for silent so the camera can also be used to photograph wildlife.

So what's the deal?

You assume the noise is created by the cameras...
https://www.google.com/search?q=foley+definition

Delta_G:
Then whenever there's a news conference you can't hear anything but clickclicklciklciklciklciklciklciklciklciklciklcilclikclikclikclikclikclikclikclik and nobody can hear what anyone actually says.

I think they are just fantasizing that they have a "real" Nikon with motor drive from the old days.

Same as the kids that like their motor-scooters to be noisy.

...R
PS ... I guess with a motor drive you had to be careful not to run out of film. No such limitation witha DSLR.

Delta_G:
Why do photojournalists seem to be having this contest to see who can get the DSLR that makes the most annoying noise when it takes a picture?

First, I haven't ever heard a new conference with the cameras drowning out the speakers; the mics are right in front of the speaker while while the cameras are further back.

But anyway, most photojournalists will be shooting with a full frame camera, which gives better low-light performance. It means you've got a larger mirror and a larger shutter which means it's going to be louder.

It is the mirror of an SLR that makes most of the noise, and I think "pro" DSLRs still have a mechanical shutter as well?
So there's no reason to expect them to be quiet. (now, all the people with their cellPhones and P&S all-electronic cameras, PROGRAMMED to make a "shutter sound" - THOSE are annoying.)

Yeah, the mechanical part of a dslr is just like a old film slr. If you want a quiet camera, with all the "pro" bells & whistles, then look at the Leica M10.

ChrisTenone:
If you want a quiet camera, with all the "pro" bells & whistles, then look at the Leica M10.

I think the problem is that @Delta_G wants OTHER PEOPLE to have quiet cameras :slight_smile:

...R

Actually I just wondered why they were so loud. I didn't know that they still had mechanical parts. Still, I think they make them louder than they need to be. Kind of a status thing, you know to make sure everyone around knows that you got a "real" camera. There's a way to take those same pictures without all that noise.

I had a Nikon F5. It sounded and felt like a large caliber hand gun firing when you took a picture. ow I have a Nikon D700 and D2x. Quieter for sure, cause it does not include the film advance hardware.

Traditional film cameras would probably also have motor drives to advance the film, adding even more noise.
My first SLR was an an Olympus OM1, claimed to be one of the quietest SLRs on the market, partially for that reason.

westfw:
Traditional film cameras would probably also have motor drives to advance the film, adding even more noise.
My first SLR was an an Olympus OM1, claimed to be one of the quietest SLRs on the market, partially for that reason.

I have a motor drive attached to my OM1, which is also my most reliable camera.

ChrisTenone:
I had a Nikon F5. It sounded and felt like a large caliber hand gun firing when you took a picture. ow I have a Nikon D700 and D2x. Quieter for sure, cause it does not include the film advance hardware.

Try a Hasselblad, or Zenza Bronica, 2 1/4 square format, big mirror, nice sound.
MP-Zenza-Bronica-S2A-Front-Left.jpg
Tom... :slight_smile:

I miss my Bronica :-[

TomGeorge:
Try a Hasselblad, or Zenza Bronica, 2 1/4 square format, big mirror, nice sound.
MP-Zenza-Bronica-S2A-Front-Left.jpg
Tom... :slight_smile:

I love medium format SLRs. Never had a Bronica - the SQ has long tempted me. I had a couple Mamiyas - the RB67 was a monster! These days I stay with 35mm,cause I have a Nikon 5000 scanner, and that's all it can handle. Once I retire, I'd like to put the darkroom back together.

Then I can even break out the big stuff:

ChrisTenone:
Then I can even break out the big stuff:

That's not the "big stuff". This is the really big stuff: 3,200 megapixels (or 3.2 gigapixels).

wilykat:
That's not the "big stuff". This is the really big stuff: 3,200 megapixels (or 3.2 gigapixels).

That's pretty cool! I wonder if they have an Arduino running it ...

Still have and use my old Rolleiflex 3.5 F.

No mirror noise at all. Nice pics, too.

Digits ? what are they?

Allan

allanhurst:
Digits ? what are they?

The thing you use to press the shutter-release :slight_smile:

...R

Ah!

Thank you.

Allan