4 input data logger with WIFI 6 units needed

New to site and NOT an Arduino user (yet). Looking to purchase 6 custom built data loggers with wifi.

Here's the scenario. We need to verify that our truck drivers are actually checking oil and transmission fluid. Have 6 vehicles, all parked at 1 building. Would like to install dry contact closure switches on the hood (open/closed), the oil dipstick (in/out) and trans dipstick (in/out). We would locate a WIFI router at the parking site as Internet access is available there.

Need to have a device mounted in each truck that would report change of state (and duration?) of each closure. We would need to differentiate between vehicles and switch assignments. Would need Real Time Clock time stamp for each event. Example: Truck 1, switch 1, open, at XX PM dd/mm/yyyy. We would like to have the info, sent WIFI, written to a file that we can access from a different location via the web.

I have never played with the Arduino but my research suggests that it would be a very cost effective way to go. We would take care of the enclosures, switches, mounting hardware, power source (thinking DC to DC converter wired to vehicle battery) etc. Anyone interested in a little freelance work? Please feel free to reply with specs, pricing and/or any constructive comments. Even if you know of an existing product that would do the job, that would be helpful. I have looked at tons of data loggers and have not found what we need. Perhaps hiring new truck drivers would be a better solution. >:( Thanks.

Hi,

PM sent to you.

Whereabouts are you based?

If you are going to go to all that trouble to modify the vehicles, wouldn't it be simpler to just have the devices measure the oil and transmission fluid levels after the trucks have been shut down for a while?

PaulS:
If you are going to go to all that trouble to modify the vehicles, wouldn't it be simpler to just have the devices measure the oil and transmission fluid levels after the trucks have been shut down for a while?

That makes sense: automate the measuring and then get notifications on email, app or SMS when the levels are below predetermined values.

jarnoldbrown- Located in Idaho USA

PaulS- I agree. However, I am tasked with providing a solution. I don't get to choose the direction of approach. Otherwise, I would hire staff that will do the task and not just phony up the paperwork!

kraig11235:
jarnoldbrown- Located in Idaho USA

PaulS- I agree. However, I am tasked with providing a solution. I don't get to choose the direction of approach. Otherwise, I would hire staff that will do the task and not just phony up the paperwork!

I think that automating the checking would be better the checking the people. Personally, I think you are providing a solution to the wrong problem. But, it's not my problem.

Agreed. However the "eyes on " method also gives us other data, such as moisture in the fluid, particulates in the fluid, etc. All comments are appreciated however.

Hi,

Provide your drivers with a hand filled log. Inform them on the importance of revising the things they have to revise. Sometimes just making them to write down something apparently useless makes them to open a hood or looking to somewhere they wouldn't normally ... and notice that something is going wrong (a spot of oil for example).

Once you have your inspection maintenance procedures sound and effective, you may start investigating how to complement it by using arduinos, SMSs, emails and so on. Believe me: sophisticated methods do not work until comventional ones are working.

Regards.