Due with CTE TFT LCD/SD Shield and SainSmart TFT 3.2" not working

Hi all, have searched for help in the forum and found none on this combination. I'm using the UTFT libraries and the 320x240 example in the library. Using the 1.5.8 IDE. The code compiles fine, uploads fine, displays a white screen. I have set the pins for the Due with this shield as directed as shown here:

// Remember to change the model parameter to suit your display module!
UTFT myGLCD(ITDB32S,25,26,27,28);

Uncommented the define in HW_ARM_defines.h as directed and shown here:
// CTE TFT LCD/SD Shield for Arduino Due
// -------------------------------------
// Uncomment the following line if you are using this shield
#define CTE_DUE_SHIELD 1

Anyone have this combo working? Other things to check?

And

SD_CS pin is pin 53

And
SD_CS pin is pin 53

That is a select line for the SD card? Surely that doesn't prevent the screen from displaying video. Where is it set? Have not found it in any of the files.

Quite right, SD_CS has no effect on the display function unless you are trying to display images from SD.

You have correctly updated HW_ARM_defines.h, the UTFT initialiser is correct "UTFT myGLCD(ITDB32S,25,26,27,28);" assuming your display is the part "TFT_320QVT" and you are sure your Sainsmart shield is CTE compatible.

Is your kit all brand new in a bundle? Have you EVER seen anything on your display? Does the serial monitor display anything, what I mean is, does your DUE actually work?

There is always the possibility some of your parts do not work?

Regards,

Graham

Graham asked:

Is your kit all brand new in a bundle? Have you EVER seen anything on your display? Does the serial monitor display anything, what I mean is, does your DUE actually work?

Yes, all brand new. I have run sketches with the serial monitor so the Due seems to be working. The CTE shield and TFT display are of course unknowns. I do have 2 of the displays and they both react the same, lights up with white screen and no video. The back of the displays have TFT_320QVT by the SD slot and the SainSmart website by the pins.

I had a similar issue with the 2004 LCD on an Uno which turned out to be addressing. This one has me baffled.

It would be a fair assumption that it is unlikely both of your displays will be faulty, and your DUE is fine.

Let us assume also your shield is ok (based on the fact it is new??), did you edit the UTFT/memorysaver.h file? Check the line #define DISABLE_SSD1289 IS commented! eg :-

//#define DISABLE_SSD1289			1	// ITDB32S /....

I am not exactly working with the same hardware bundle as you, my DUE and TFT_320QVT are Sainsmart but my CTE shield is GENUINE CTE.....

You appear to have done everything to resolve this issue yourself, so I am thinking you have 3 choices, bite the bullet and order a CTE shield, send the shield and display back to Sainsmart or get out your multimeter and check out the shield manually.

Regards,

Graham

Yes the SSD1289 line is commented. I guess using jumper wires to go direct to the Due would be one way to eliminate the shield and prove it is or is not bad. If it were bad, one would think only the 4 lines defined at the top of the sketch would be the issue of white screen.

Just to be clear, you are saying yours works fine with only the changes that I have made?

Thanks for the input Graham.

sledged:
Just to be clear, you are saying yours works fine with only the changes that I have made?

That's exactly what I am saying. You have done everything right. Time to suspect something is faulty.

Regards,

Graham

Thank you Graham! I found the both pairs of 3,3v and 5v jumpers were jumped. That mistake resulted in a system voltage of 4.1v. Removing the 5v jumpers corrected the voltage to 3.3 but the result is the same. I have returned both the display and the CTE shield for refund. Based on my InSain experience I will be looking for another vendor.

BTW, I did hook up my 4x20 LCD display just to be sure the Due wasn't damaged and works beyond "Hello World." The example LCD code in UTFT works fine once I commented out the code that has not been ported for Due.

Regards,

sledge

Hi sledge,

Pleased I could help, sorry the outcome was not more positive.

Regards,

Graham

Hello,

I can confirm this Problems
I work with
DUE,
SainSmart 3.2” TFT
CTE TFT LCD/SD Shield (5V Pin removed)
UTFT Libray

With Arduino-Software 1.5.7 it works well. With 1.5.8, the Display is always black.

Hi franz,

Thats an interesting point you make! I understood there were problems with UTFT library when IDE 1.5.7 was released, and Henning issued an update to his libraries to deal with those problems, but I was not aware of any differences between 1.5.7 and 1.5.8. Can you confirm which version of UTFT you are using?

Unfortunately my DUE is out of action currently so cannot investigate this further.

Regards,

Graham

HI,
the version from UTFT was 2.77 (24 May 2014).

Hi franz,

Maybe you should upgrade your version of UTFT? Based on the fact the compatibility issues I mentioned were already resolved in a later version than yours.....

v2.77 24 May 2014 • fixed a bug with the ElecHouse 7" display and shield combination
v2.78 08 Sep 2014 • fixed compatibility-issues with Arduino 1.5.7
v2.79 28 Sep 2014 • added support for more display shields and modules from ElecFreaks
• removed all support for display modules from GE-Tech (including the ILI9320 driver)

Regards,

Graham

Hi,

i bought the shield quite some time ago and had no luck in getting it started.
I have some Arduino Megas with the same LCD but different shield.
So I checked and the uno was working, the LCD was working but the combo UNO, shield and LCD was not working. I noticed that the LCD is getting very hot.

Today after reading this thread i finally got it working.
I did:

• remove jumper J1 and J3 (so LCD is running on 3.3V) now LCD is not getting hot anymore
  • activate #define CTE_DUE_SHIELD 1 in file UTFT/hardware/arm/HW_ARM_defines.h
  • used UTFT myGLCD(ITDB32S,25,26,27,28); for the LCD init

Now the demo is running fine!

Still couldn't figure out if it is possible to dim the backlight.

Ralf

ralfl:
Still couldn't figure out if it is possible to dim the backlight.

yes it is possible, but you need to do several things first. Look at your schematic and identify the PWM pin for the back display. Make sure this pin is compatible with your display, and not being used. If it is available and compatiblewith your display, you will need to do the following.

1: The PWM pin is missing from the CTE board. You will have to add it.

2: redo the jumpers so that it reflects this change.

3: Write a PWM routine to control the brightness of the screen.

They safe and have fun.

Joe.