Arduino + Acceleratometer - Which Arduino Board to use?

Hi All,

I`m new to Arduino and associated technology but hopefully not too stupid in my old age to learn to use it. :o :slight_smile:

I`m planning on making something using an Arduino Board, Accelerometer and some LED Strip(s). However I have no idea as to the smallest board (physical size and name eg Nano, Micro, Pro Mini, LilyPad) with the minimum specifications to use.

It is a simple case of measuring the decrease and increase in speed and outputting RED for decreasing and GREEN for increasing speed.

What I will have available to use in the project are both 5V LED IP65 Strips (total length = 500mm) and Lily LED`s (3V -5V) of which I can use either for the purpose of lighting up.

Hope to hear from you sooner than from the people at Instructables >:(

Just about any Arduino can read just about any accelerometer. Which accelerometer did you have in mind?

jremington:
Just about any Arduino can read just about any accelerometer. Which accelerometer did you have in mind?

Thank you for the quick reply.

Im actually looking at the ADXL335 as Im hoping to have the final project as small as physically possible.

Any Arduino can read the ADXL335.
For the smallest possible product you will need to design a custom PCB. Could be about 1cm x 1cm, for example.

Thank you for the input.

In light of the fact that my electronics knowledge is virtually nil (Im in the process of remedying the situation) Ill have to make do with available components and house it in as small a package as possible.

In that case.. I suggest a Pro-Mini.. and the linked to the breakout board for the accelerometer.

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate the time spent to answer a newbie`s questions.

In my next post I`d like to provide a schematic as I see the components (Input, Processing, Output).

However in the meantime I`d like to have some questions answered.

The basic concept of my project is not new however I see that the Input from the accelerometer usually goes to A4 & A5. My question is why not any other two adjacent A-pins? Or is it pin specific? (This is just for my own understanding of pin functionality)

Output is usually from Digital 13 connected to GND to complete the circuit. My question here is, could it be any other Digital Out and GND or is it pin specific. (This is just for my own understanding of pin functionality)

The reason why I ask specifically about the output to the LED`s is whether I can use a pwm pin in order to get maybe an initial "bright" that fades with "time" ie. less force. (This is just for my own understanding of pin functionality)

Then one more question. In my mind I`d like to mount the accelerometer "Vertically flat" thus utilizing the force on the Z-Axis whilst getting the smallest "footprint" in my final design implementation. Will this be acceptable?

Please bear with me as I would also like to try and figure out the "commands" and "programming" myself. I`m not the "monkey see, monkey do" type of guy. :astonished:

Most accelerometers use I2C or SPI communications, which require certain Arduino pins and I2C or SPI software. The ADXL335 provides analog (voltage) output, which can be read by any three analog input pins.

Be sure to connect the ADXL335 and Arduino grounds (GND) together.

Output is usually from Digital 13 connected to GND to complete the circuit.

This makes no sense to me. You can destroy a digital pin by connecting it directly to GND.

Study the "Blink without delay" and "Fading" examples to learn about LEDs. Always use a 220 ohm to 1K resistor in series with the LED to limit the current.

An accelerometer can be oriented any way you like. When it is held still, it will register 1 g along any axis that is pointing directly "up".

Thank you for the answers.

Do I understand correctly that only accelerometers such as the MPU6050 needs specific pins because of the need for I2C or SPI?

However I`m now still in the dark as to completing the LED circuit from say Pin 13. Allow me to break this down into two questions.

1. Any Digital OUT Pin can be used, it does not necessarily have to be pin 13? Do I understand correctly?

2. For this example if I use say digital out pin 13 (or a pwm pin) for the output to the LEDs where do I complete the circuit? I assume that, (negative) - to earth is the same as GND?

Thank you for the previous reply with the references to "Blinking without delay" and "Fading".

Do I understand correctly that if a resistor such as the 220 Ohm is inserted between the eg pin 13 and the LED and the LED(s) is then grounded to GND one will not fry the Digital Output Pin?

To learn about any arduino related topic, add "arduino" to the search and look for tutorials.

Example: "arduino led resistor" brings up Arduino Tutorial Lesson 3 - Breadboard and LEDs

Thank you.

Thank you everybody who commented and specifically jremington sent me to get some more background before continuing.

Seeing that it is a simple case of measuring the change in g-force and outputting it to switch a number of LED`s ON and then OFF, I have decided to go with the following.

LilyPAD ATTiny85

LilyPAD ADXL335 Accelerometer

LilyPAD Coin Cell Battery Holder CR2035

or

LilyPad LiPower Battery Power Step Up Boost Power Module 5V

or

LilyPAD Power Supply Module AAA Battery Step up to 5V Converter for Arduino

Two different colour (Red and Green) LED`s (though I have learnt that it could all be white and then just change colour through the correct commands)