Problem loading page

Hello Mods,

I know this isn't the right place to put this, but I wasn't sure where it went so I thought I'd put it here and let you guys move it if you want.

I just wanted to let you know that ever since the upgrade I'm getting multiple bad security certificate warnings whenever I try to login from my Android. If I ignore all the warnings (sometimes ten or twelve in a row) I finally get the page. I'm not that bothered by it, but thought you might like to know.

Thanks guys!

I have informed the person maintaining the forum.

Thanks man! And thanks for moving this for me.

Compared to before the upgrade, the forum is now
very, very slow loading pages, almost unusable.

Delta_G:
I just wanted to let you know that ever since the upgrade I'm getting multiple bad security certificate warnings whenever I try to login from my Android

The issue has already been identified and the reason is related to embedded files included into the page, still an effective solution has to be implemented but we are working on this.
Thanks for the alert.

Most of the delay I see now when loading forum pages seems to be caused by files being loaded from store.arduino.cc. It's not obvious why reading and writing forum posts would involve downloading so much from the store, and a quick debug session reveals that it seems to be interacting with the shopping kart and downloading multiple URLs all with dynamic content, which explains why none of this is being cached. As if that wasn't enough, most of this traffic seems to be being bounced with an HTTP 302. Given that the store seems to be the bottleneck here and is IMO hardly relevant to the majority of forum visitors, it seems to me that it would make sense to eliminate the shopping stuff from the forum pages entirely. Putting a forum and a shop on the same page doesn't strike me as a particularly smart move. Really, who's going to visit the forum in the middle of a shopping trip and want to be reminded what's in their kart?

I agree with this. Whatever computing effort is needed to display how many items are in my cart, is surely not required when I am just sitting here answering forum questions?

Most of the other sites I have visited (for example, Adafruit) separate out the shopping experience from the support experience.

Usually you either want to shop (in which case you aren't currently interested in the forum) or you want help with something you received (in which case you aren't currently interested in the shop).

I know a lot of sites are going for this unified "we'll help you spend more money easily" approach, but surely we can manage without it here? Just as an example, iTunes, which I complained about in a recent thread, is now a 1/4 of a gigabyte download. And iTunes no longer is just a program to play music you own, but much more a method of getting you to spend more money. "Hey, here's another song you might like!".

I've noticed another odd thing, since the upgrade. Sometimes changing tabs in my browser involves a lengthy delay (say, a second or so). Normally clicking on a tab in the browser is instantaneous, but now -- for some reason -- it isn't. Is it saving my shopping cart or something? It just makes the interaction between me and the web browser sluggish, when it didn't use to be that way.

Now I know you probably won't believe me, so I made a screen recording.

Notice how the contents of the tab takes a good couple of seconds to update, after clicking on the tab. By comparison, switching tabs in the Adafruit page is instantaneous.

Well first, my post didn't show the video.

Now that I fixed that the video hides the "reply" button. :frowning:

Using Firefox 24.0 I saw the video in your original post without any problems - and the delays you described.

I had left off the "http://" from in front of the Youtube URL. This had the side-effect of deleting the rest of my post from that point. I subsequently edited it to put it there.

I am experiencing the same delays with navigation. It's really frustrating - a big step backwards in my opinion. Thank goodness the Atmel devices we use don't behave like this.

Vote to have the old system reinstated!

...R

My tuppence worth,

Us old poor XP users with Internet Explorer 8......... No longer see attachments

I have posts which I included screen shots, that showed fine before the site 'upgrade'.

I like the improved reference and learning sections of the site, but the forum is not better.

Also I have seen several times. If you can see this page you have successfully configured NGIX or something like that.....

Graham

MadBob:

Delta_G:
I just wanted to let you know that ever since the upgrade I'm getting multiple bad security certificate warnings whenever I try to login from my Android

The issue has already been identified and the reason is related to embedded files included into the page, still an effective solution has to be implemented but we are working on this.
Thanks for the alert.

In the end the issue has been identified in some exotic SSL setup, and should be fixed now.