Genuino/Arduino 101 power consumption

Hi,

I'm considering Genuino 101 for my next project where the power consumption is very important. Can anyone provide some numbers, all Genuino/Arduino 101 documents talk about "low power consumption" without providing an actual figure.

adi1b:
Hi,

I'm considering Genuino 101 for my next project where the power consumption is very important. Can anyone provide some numbers, all Genuino/Arduino 101 documents talk about "low power consumption" without providing an actual figure.

If "low power consumption" is the most important factor, a low MHz, low voltage avr is probably the way to go.

I considered Arduino 101 for the BLE support. I do not understand how someone may advertise its product as having low power consumption without any figure to back it up.

Power consumption of a microprocessor board is dependent on what you are doing with it.

So in case you are still curious, I plugged my (brand-new, never used) Arduino 101 board into a 7.5 volt power supply. It drew 100 ma from the power supply. My standard UNO plugged into the same supply drew 55 ma. At the extreme, a tiny85 running at 1MHz, with the power supply turned down to 3 volts, draws 380 microamps.

So the 101 is low power with lots of peripheral devices on board, but not compared to a naked UNO, and many times more mas than the tiny. So you need to decide what features do you not need. If all you need is a processor and blue tooth (and not the accelerometer, etc.), then perhaps look into a system that only provides your minimum needs.

I am also considering an Arduino 101 for a project in which I need the processor + accelerometer + bluetooth in order to detect vibrations/movement above a threshold and transmit the data over BLE to a gateway. the problem is thought that the device needs to be low power. I know that an atmega has low power settings and you can reduce the clock speed. I wonder if this (lowe power mode) is also applicable to the Curie. From the product website I understand it can run only the ARC processor (DSP), not both the ARC and the X86 processors, to reduce power consumption. Also the RTOS (Zephyr) is advertised to be low power.

Has anybody tried this?

The other option I am currently comparing the 101 against is the STM32L0 series. I have an eval board for each, and have the STM running at under 1mA running at a slow clock rate, and I havent checked that all the peripherals are in the optimum low power modes as yet.

The 101 is running at 62-64mA just illuminating, or not, an LED based on a switch input. The Curie datasheet has all sorts of info about low power modes, but not how to configure them. By the looks of the above questions, it seems nobody else has found this info yet either?

We are currently working on a LowPower library for Curie-based boards, which will eventually be available in a future release of GitHub - arduino/ArduinoCore-arc32

Excellent, that's good to hear - thanks. Could you give an estimate on when this might be released? (rough finger in the air is fine).

Sorry but, for reason I'm sure you understand, "future" is the best I can do.
But it is being developed as we speak.

link for low power library arduino 101 GitHub - bigdinotech/Arduino101Power: Low Power Library for Arduino101

arduino101101:
link for low power library arduino 101 GitHub - bigdinotech/Arduino101Power: Low Power Library for Arduino101

Looks useful! Thanks for the link.