remote alarm prototype design project. Will need help/coaching

remote alarm prototype design project Will need help/coaching.

Greetings
Been a while since I did any scratch build electronics.
I am a bit rusty but think I can achieve a finished product with some help.
Please let me know if this is proper sub forum to post questions and help with a prototype idea I have been wanting to build.

Warning I have some experience uploading to a pro mini aduino board but will need some serious help. with software and hardware to make this work.

I do believe this device will be fun, innovative,useful ,and reliable. So where should I begin?

ArduinoProMini.jpg

Begin by writing a description of how you want it to work. Pay attention to the inputs and outputs.

Grumpy_Mike:
Begin by writing a description of how you want it to work. Pay attention to the inputs and outputs.

O GOOD I am writing the operation with inputs and outputs. stand by.
Thank You!

A bit crude drawing but should work eeh

1 When Rocker switch A is closed a 15 second count down to arm.
b LED will stay on steady when
all door switches are closed

2 after 15 seconds alarm is armed only if door switches are closed.
b LED now blinks telling you Alarm is Armed and door switches are closed.

3 if any series door switch opens
a buzzer will alarm for 5 seconds then off
b after 5 seconds, relay2 will open for 2 seconds
c after 7 seconds, solenoid 4 will move away pressing speed dial spot on the phone.
d after 8 seconds, solenoid will move back home.

This KISS Alarm is made to work with a smart phone.
The solenoid will depress a speed dial button set up on your phone.
The relay2 is normally closed keeping your phone charged.(5volts)
When relay2 opens for 2 seconds it wakes your phone up.
So the phone will respond to the solenoid tap.

When any door switch opens, 7 seconds later the phone will dial out.

If the rocker switch is turned off before the 7 seconds no action is taken.

Rocker switch and led could be remote/hidden.

all comments welcome

Do you have all the hardware parts yet?

pert:
Do you have all the hardware parts yet?

I have the pro mini board. Will need to pick up the relay and solenoid.
Any thoughts?
The pro mini is naked but should be nice to keep things compact.
Will need to find an appropriate relay with contacts normally closed.
All comments welcome..
Thanks... BTW. Would there be a better place to post this project??

Is the push button on the smartphone a real button or on the screen? A solenoid is likely to give you too much of a hard push to be effective. If it is on the screen you will break it. Much better to use a servo motor to do the screen touching, with a piece off conductive foam wired to ground.

Maybe instead of all the complexity of pushing a speed dial button on a phone you could use a module like this and get it to send a call/sms to a phone number?

Grumpy_Mike:
Is the push button on the smartphone a real button or on the screen? A solenoid is likely to give you too much of a hard push to be effective. If it is on the screen you will break it. Much better to use a servo motor to do the screen touching, with a piece off conductive foam wired to ground.

Yes. Smart phone with glass. We could use a servo. Good point. I originally thought of having a spring type plunger/solenoid to slow the impact of a quick action solenoid. Using a spring for pressure would eliminate
Having to make fine adjustments with a servo or steper motor.

Riva:
Maybe instead of all the complexity of pushing a speed dial button on a phone you could use a module like this and get it to send a call/sms to a phone number?

That is a interesting device. Thank you..
A few questions This operates like a cell phone from my home cell network?
Does this emulate my current cell phone in operation? Clone per say.?
If Not what is the cost per year to operate on the network?

Riva:

If I use this I can drag speed dial icons to the solenoid sweet spot for easy programming.

airflap:
That is a interesting device. Thank you..
A few questions This operates like a cell phone from my home cell network?
Does this emulate my current cell phone in operation? Clone per say.?
If Not what is the cost per year to operate on the network?

The module needs a SIM card inserted to operate so you will need to ensure the SIM you use is not locked to a particular hardware device and the module can cover the phone bands used in your country.

When connected to something like an Arduino, some modules can send/receive SMS messages, voice and/or data.
You would connect the window/door switches to the arduino and if it detects an entry then it could send an SMS to one/several numbers and include details in the SMS like what switch activated and when. As the phone is controlled from a controller then other options open up like you texting the module to get/set it active state.

Don't know anything about cloning a phone and costs would depend on what type of SIM your using. A simple Pay As You Go SIM here in the UK cost £10 to buy (with £10 credit) and SMS messages cost £0.02 each to send.

The main thing is to investigate the feasibility of this in your country before buying one or you might think for the cheap price to just get one and try it.

Riva:
The module needs a SIM card inserted to operate so you will need to ensure the SIM you use is not locked to a particular hardware device and the module can cover the phone bands used in your country.

When connected to something like an Arduino, some modules can send/receive SMS messages, voice and/or data.
You would connect the window/door switches to the arduino and if it detects an entry then it could send an SMS to one/several numbers and include details in the SMS like what switch activated and when. As the phone is controlled from a controller then other options open up like you texting the module to get/set it active state.

Don't know anything about cloning a phone and costs would depend on what type of SIM your using. A simple Pay As You Go SIM here in the UK cost £10 to buy (with £10 credit) and SMS messages cost £0.02 each to send.

The main thing is to investigate the feasibility of this in your country before buying one or you might think for the cheap price to just get one and try it.

This looks like quite a flexible option. Thanks for expanding on this. Here in the us sims cards are available.

I don't think pay as you go tracfone has a SIM cards that would work. Look like cheapest sim card plan would be 400 dollars a year.
If I use a simple phone here 30 dollars a year. The only problem with this phone is
It might not have 1 button speed dial capability. So you might have to push 2 or more buttons.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alcatel-Big-Easy-Plus-Phone-with-800-Minutes-and-1-Year-of-Service-Tracfone-/252635985605?hash=item3ad24736c5:g:2coAAOSw3KFWfuE7

A smart phone however can do it for around 90 dollars a year.

airflap:
If I use a simple phone here 30 dollars a year. The only problem with this phone is
It might not have 1 button speed dial capability. So you might have to push 2 or more buttons.

Maybe the SIM from your simple phone will work in one of these modules but it is probably best if someone USA based to confirm this. Adafruit sell phone modules and link/sell ting SIMS.

I don't know anything about interfacing Arduino with a phone but can you use a Bluetooth module on the Arduino paired with the phone to send the command to make the call? It's one more link in the chain so might make the system less reliable compared to the sort of module Riva recommended but I'd guess it's about the same level of reliability as the solenoid idea and may also offer the possibility to add more advanced functionality later like text messaging or disabling the alarm using your phone.

pert:
I don't know anything about interfacing Arduino with a phone but can you use a Bluetooth module on the Arduino paired with the phone to send the command to make the call? It's one more link in the chain so might make the system less reliable compared to the sort of module Riva recommended but I'd guess it's about the same level of reliability as the solenoid idea and may also offer the possibility to add more advanced functionality later like text messaging or disabling the alarm using your phone.

Pert thats a really good question. and the answer is most likely yes.
More complicated yes

I have actually used a Bluetooth Tx with Arduino to send to a smart phone GUI app. It works well.
There are many ways to skin a cat. I was looking for a reliable KISS Alarm. Although using a servo
to push the phone seems antiquated it could be quite reliable. :slight_smile:
Hoping the program /code would be reasonably simply too. The phone
sim card board may be powerful but would I have to drag out a lap top every time I wanted to make a change to the call number?

Cellular Remote Freeze Alarm This is another application for this alarm. You could use temp switches
of even water sensors. The device below could do the trick for 800 dollers. not including the phone plan.