Wireless transmission of antenna signal with esp modules

hello guys
am currently working on R&D with rfid and the esp module.
i am trying to create a wireless transmission of signal from the antenna to the receiver in the sense that i want to use the esp module as a transceiver which means it is going to be connected to the antenna for reading the rfid tages after that then send the tag id to a server or any remote base network.
right now i have a DIY yagi antenna which reads the tags when connected to a tag reader, i want to use the esp as the tag reader instead so i can eliminate the use of wires and buying multiple readers at the same time.
I haven't found anything on this so far so i hope if there's anyone who can help with any sort of idea is welcome.
thanks.

regards,
Azeez

Azeez_Jimoh:
hello guys
am currently working on R&D with rfid and the esp module.
i am trying to create a wireless transmission of signal from the antenna to the receiver in the sense that i want to use the esp module as a transceiver which means it is going to be connected to the antenna for reading the rfid tages after that then send the tag id to a server or any remote base network.
right now i have a DIY yagi antenna which reads the tags when connected to a tag reader, i want to use the esp as the tag reader instead so i can eliminate the use of wires and buying multiple readers at the same time.
I haven't found anything on this so far so i hope if there's anyone who can help with any sort of idea is welcome.
thanks.

regards,
Azeez

Let me see if I understand what you are wanting to do.

You want your esp to generate a pulse of RF to power the rfid tag and then turn itself into a receiver to receive the data from the rfid tag. Is this pretty much the correct description?

If all wrong, can you show us a block diagram of what you are doing?

Paul

I suspect the OP has one ESP8266 connected to an RFID reader and then wants to wirelessly send data from the RFID tag to another ESP8266.

If that is a correct understanding then this ESP-NOW demo may be of interest.

...R

Robin2:
I suspect the OP has one ESP8266 connected to an RFID reader and then wants to wirelessly send data from the RFID tag to another ESP8266.

If that is a correct understanding then this ESP-NOW demo may be of interest.

...R

That would be the normal progression of projects, but the OP wrote:

"i want to use the esp as the tag reader instead so i can eliminate the use of wires and buying multiple readers at the same time."

Paul

i want a reader which will have a reader connected to esp module to read tags and then sent to server by esp module.

Azeez_Jimoh:
i want a reader which will have a reader connected to esp module to read tags and then sent to server by esp module.

Does this mean that what you are really looking for is advice about a suitable RFID reader that can be connected to an ESP8266 module?

...R

yes, turns out i was look at it the wrong way with my first post,
will also like to know if the range of reading the tag is dependent on the reader or the antenna and if 15 to 20 meters range is possible.

Thanks.

Azeez_Jimoh:
yes, turns out i was look at it the wrong way with my first post,
will also like to know if the range of reading the tag is dependent on the reader or the antenna and if 15 to 20 meters range is possible.

Thanks.

That all depends on the amount of RF energy you can deliver to the tag and if your receiver can hear the resulting transmission from the tag. This is not available with any commercial equipment because of international laws limiting the power. But you can create whatever you want for testing, depending on what country you are in.

By the way, what frequency tags are you designing this project for?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
This is not available with any commercial equipment because of international laws limiting the power.

I believe the OP is just looking for advice about a regular RFID reader that he can use with his ESP8266. I think the Original Post was just worded in a very confusing way.

I have no experience with them so I cannot help.

...R

Paul_KD7HB:
That all depends on the amount of RF energy you can deliver to the tag and if your receiver can hear the resulting transmission from the tag. This is not available with any commercial equipment because of international laws limiting the power. But you can create whatever you want for testing, depending on what country you are in.

By the way, what frequency tags are you designing this project for?

Paul

i found this reader http://store.linksprite.com/cottonwood-long-range-uhf-rfid-reader-uart-iso18000-6c-epc-g2/
in the specification it states reading distance to be 1-6 meters which i don't understand i thought the reading distance should be from a connected antenna?

Azeez_Jimoh:
i found this reader http://store.linksprite.com/cottonwood-long-range-uhf-rfid-reader-uart-iso18000-6c-epc-g2/
in the specification it states reading distance to be 1-6 meters which i don't understand i thought the reading distance should be from a connected antenna?

Well, there you have your answer. Buy their system and your distance problem may go away.

Paul