How about word wrap in the error window?

I generally have multiple windows open so don't keep the IDE window fully maximized. I set it wide enough to display a line of code and brief comments. Errors, and the compiler output, normally extend into the hidden area of the window so I have to scroll the screen back and forth to see the entire message.

Would it be terribly difficult to give this material an auto-wrap feature, like one sees on web pages, so it would adjust to the screen by itself?

There were some IDE versions that wrapped it. I found it incredibly annoying. There are all these long commands shown in verbose mode and it's very difficult to see where they start and end when they are wrapped. The compiler errors quote code and wrapped code is also extremely hard to understand.

There is a feature request to bring back the console wrap, written in classic Vaclav style:

pert:
There is a feature request to bring back the console wrap, written in classic Vaclav style:
Compiler verbose output - no word / line wrap. · Issue #4738 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub

A three-year-old necro thread. Doesn't sound too hopeful.

pert:
...written in classic Vaclav style...

??

dougp:
A three-year-old necro thread. Doesn't sound too hopeful.

Perhaps, but I'm actually surprised it hasn't been closed as "wontfix".

dougp:
??

I think it was before you joined this forum; there was a user named Vaclav who was incredibly abrasive. Basically just turned every discussion into a big argument, even when it was completely unnecessary. They had a habit of bringing up a whole list of previous unrelated gripes in every discussion or bug report to make sure things went off topic. Somewhere along the line they created a new forum account named JulyJim because they had built up so much ill-will to the name Vaclav, but they went back to their old behavior with the new account and it didn't go any better for them.