Trying to start Arduino IDE 1.0.6 on Fedora

I have downloaded Ardunino IDE 1.0.6 and tried to start it. What I get is following:

arduino-1.0.6]$ ./arduino
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at processing.app.Preferences.setColor(Preferences.java:863)
at processing.app.Preferences.init(Preferences.java:274)
at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:117)
Caused by: java.awt.HeadlessException
at sun.awt.HeadlessToolkit.getMenuShortcutKeyMask(HeadlessToolkit.java:236)
at processing.core.PApplet.(Unknown Source)
... 3 more
arduino-1.0.6]$

I am running it on Fedora 28. I need Ardunino IDE 1.0.6 to compile "Marlin".

What can be the problem here?

Are you trying to run it on a headless system?

I am not running on headless system. But since I am runing on Fedora Gnome Workstaition and using Wayland instead of Xwindows can arduino-1.0.6 perceive that I it is running on headless system? I have run arduino-1.8.5 without problems under Wayland.

Regards
Jon Ingason

I suspect it's something like that but I don't have a lot of experience with any of this so I could be wrong. My advice is to put your time towards getting your code working with the modern IDE instead of getting the outdated IDE running.

Thanks for the advice. I have tried it with Xorg instead of Wayland an no diffrence. Since I am loading down firmware to 3D printer I need arduino 1.0.6. Changing the software is not easy. I wondering if it might be I am using too new version of java. I think I do that next.

Regards
Jo Ingason

Now the problem is soved. Needed to install "java-openjk", Only the headless java installled. :frowning:

Regards
Jon Ingason

Thanks for the update. I'm sure other people that have the same problem will appreciate that you took the time to do so. I'm glad you managed to get it working.