Novice: Can suddenly not run ANY sketch.

Hi, First post, new to Arduino, new to programming, experienced electronics hobbyist.

I have a UNO R3 (Elegoo) using IDE 1.8.9 with COM3 on my Win 10 PC. I last used the board yesterday on my XP (SP3) PC, also under IDE 1.8.9 and now working on my Win 10 PC.

Whatever sketch I open or create, it fails to upload. A previously uploaded sketch (from my XP PC) just continues running. Now gives a whole raft of (to me) obscure errors. Here's an extract:

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM3
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc6
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc6
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc6
etc

I studied this link:

[this link](http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions)
but found no solution. I read several posts about this but most replies were over my head.
I'm an Arduino novice and I'd appreciate any help please.

The most puzzling thing is that I HAVE successfully run this sketch before on my intended shed workshop XP PC. But that too started giving the same result, with messages like those above.

I'm at a loss as to how to recover normal operation.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Remove any connections to pins 0 and 1. These pins are used for communication with your computer, including uploads. Connecting anything to these pins can interfere with uploads.

Make sure you have the correct board selected from the Tools > Board menu.

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu.

Sometimes the port will be labeled with the board name in the menu. Other times it will not. If you don’t know which port is your Arduino, you can find it like this:

• Unplug your Arduino board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu
  • Plug your Arduino board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.

Also make use of Windows' Device Manager. It gives you more info about devices connected to yr COMs ports.

Thanks both, but I had re-checked those obvious factors, including via Device Mgr, before posting. And they are shown correctly in the error message extract I posted.

Do the other lines in that provide any clues please? For instance:

Overriding Baud Rate : 115200 ?
not in sync: resp=0xc6 ?
programmer is not responding ?

Re that last one, is it relevant that Tools is inconsistent with the error message? As illustrated here:

I'm now focusing exclusively on getting updates working on my Win 10 PC. I'll return to the XP PC later!

Do you have a Programmer connected to the ICSP pins of the Uno? If not, then the Programmer selection is not relevant.

If you are loading via the Serial port from the PC, then you may have one of the following:

1. damaged Atmega16U2 that interfaces USB to the '328P microcontroller.

2. your sketch may have D0, D1 tied up. In the IDE, select File:Preferences, and turn on Verbose outputs.
    Press & Hold the Reset button, then start a download. When you see the end of the compile,

Sketch uses 55154 bytes (21%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 2526 bytes (30%) of dynamic memory, leaving 5666 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.

release the Reset button. May take a few tries to get the timing of the release correct.

1. USB cable may have gone on the fritz. Try another one.

2. The bootloader code in the '328P may have been corrupted. You need a Programmer connected to the ICSP pins to rewrite it.

Good luck.

I've also installed the MS APP version and that too doesn't upload any sketches. Here is the full error report from an attempt:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiye7s37emcyvcy/Using-MS-APP-version.txt?raw=1

CrossRoads:
Do you have a Programmer connected to the ICSP pins of the Uno? If not, then the Programmer selection is not relevant.

I don't see any pins marked 'ICSP'. Anyway, as you see from this photo, there is nothing connected to any pins.

If you are loading via the Serial port from the PC, then you may have one of the following:

As stated, and as shown in the error message extract I posted, I'm using COM3

1. damaged Atmega16U2 that interfaces USB to the '328P microcontroller.

My chip is ATMEG328P.

1. your sketch may have D0, D1 tied up. In the IDE, select File:Preferences, and turn on Verbose outputs.
    Press & Hold the Reset button, then start a download. When you see the end of the compile,
Sketch uses 55154 bytes (21%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.

Global variables use 2526 bytes (30%) of dynamic memory, leaving 5666 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.

release the Reset button. May take a few tries to get the timing of the release correct.

I had tried that 'simultaneous or close' use of Reset and Upload thanks, but no joy.

1. USB cable may have gone on the fritz. Try another one.

I'll order one, but...

1. The bootloader code in the '328P may have been corrupted. You need a Programmer connected to the ICSP pins to rewrite it.

Again: I'm a total novice and have no clue what that means. What is a 'Programmer' in this context, and what are these ICSP pins?

EDIT: After some googling I now know where those ICSP pins are and gather I would have to buy some more h/w to use them, if that proves definitely necessary?

In 'try anything' mode I used Tools > Burn Bootloader and got this message. It appears to imply my board isn't connected, yet Device Mgr plainly shows Arduino on COM 3. How should I proceed please?

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows Store 1.8.21.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v2 -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

Error while burning bootloader.
System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.21.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : usb
Using Programmer : stk500v2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

avrdude done. Thank you.

Further info in the hope it might provide a clue. Below is an example of the verbose output in full:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvokvbswxnnmiiw/ExampleOfErrorMessagesVerbose.txt?raw=1

Meanwhile, desperate to get back to some electronics, I've resorted to ordering another UNO 3 board from Amazon UK.

Terrypin:
In 'try anything' mode I used Tools > Burn Bootloader and got this message. It appears to imply my board isn't connected

No, it implies you don't have a USBasp ISP programmer attached to your computer. Since you don't have a USBasp programmer attached, that is the correct and expected error. You need an ISP programmer to use Tools > Burn Bootloader.

Terrypin:
I've resorted to ordering another UNO 3 board from Amazon UK.

Probably the best thing to do. There's a good chance the upload troubles you're having are caused by the board being damaged.

Once you get your new Uno board, you can use it as an "Arduino as ISP" programmer to try doing a Burn Bootloader on the non-functional board:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

Thanks Pert.

Wow, that potential repair job looks daunting! I'm only a week or so into Arduino and microcomputers in general so reckon I'll be back for some hand-holding if/when I have to attempt it.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

OK. We'll be here ready to help if you need it.

My new UNO R3 arrived this morning and uploads work correctly. So it was indeed a faulty board issue.

I'll start a new thread about attempting to repair it using that potentially excellent article you suggested, pert.