Zigbee and arduino communications

No, I don't have any videos of my X10 devices. They are just the normal light switches and 'socket rockets' with a couple of appliance modules in various places. I use them to control my outside lights and a couple of appliances that I don't want turning on automatically. The problem is not getting them to work, it's that they become unreliable very quickly. My attic light is attached to a X10 wall switch and it turns on every time the heater turns on. It stays on until I come around to turn it off manually.

X10, in modern homes, just doesn't work very well. The switching supplies in modern computers put too much noise on the line, and as Jack mentioned, power strips suck the signal off the power line. High efficiency magnetic motors will make the power line so noisy that X10 signals won't work as long as the motor is turned on.

I really don't have a good solution that doesn't cost a fortune. I'm not even sure the expensive ones work very well. Insteon (google it) is a power line protocol that also has an RF component and has been seen by some as a good possibility. There's also Z-wave, but I know very little about it.

The compelling feature of X10 is that it is very cheap relative to anything else on the market. Many of the X10 devices are very cheaply made and tend to fall apart when you install them. But.....they are easy to control and work with using any computer.

If they just weren't so darn unreliable. To help this there are many X10 signal boosters devices like this:
http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByManufacturer/ACT/Item/CR134/ But, when you start installing these $200 items, the cheap factor disappears pretty quickly.

So, the unreliability of X10 and the expense of other devices are what causes people to try and make their own. However, your home may not be as big a problem as mine is. You can certainly try a couple of X10 devices and use any one of several techniques to control it with an arduino. You can do some experimenting for a relatively small amount of money to see if it will work for you. Here's a link to add to your list where a guy hooks some existing X10 devices to an arduino and then a web server. http://thenewtech.tv/tech-life/arduinox10-home-automation-over-wifi